Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dual checking of boarding passes for all Cathay Pacific flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dual checking of boarding passes for all Cathay Pacific flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Uhhh...

The operating airline sends pax manifests and associated data to the outbound and inbound countries. In many cases this isn't done until pax are boarded. Different countries have different requirements and it is used in differing ways. For example, a pax may be on a no fly list for aviation security reasons or human smuggling reasons by the inbound country or be flagged by the outbound country for criminality or overstay. Because many airports do not have separate international-only terminals, having a valid domestic booking to clear security and then sneaking onto a plane going internationally poses a threat if the data is not processed and sent as required. Countries such as Canada issue a BOARD or DENY message at the gate.
woah? a domestic terminal in HK going to Japan?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
I experienced it this week. The ISM insisted that I show boarding pass at cabin door.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by jagmeets
All flights from India will have security personnel, armed I think, checking your boarding pass just before the plane door- that's after the scan at the gate.
They are there primarily to check your carry-on security stamp tag (i.e. to make sure it was previously scanned). Also, India starts to remove this procedure at some airports.

Originally Posted by sxc
It's just like when baggage gets screened - yes it's been screened, but they still make sure that baggage doesn't fly if the passenger isn't on the plane. Because who knows what has slipped through security checks.
Yaa ... but there's a big time gap (and distance) between when a bag is checked at the counter (or in the city) and loaded to a plane. If i read this correctly, this 'enhanced' check is between BP scan (i.e. that op-up 'beep' ) and the aircraft door which is like ... 40 meter or so away? I mean what security problem can occur in that 1/2 min or so time gap? It's not like I can cast a spell and puff, a friend appears inside the air bridge ... To me, the fact that CX claims this is a security-related procedure seems to imply that CX doesn't trust its own gate agents ...

As a few others have mentioned above, I might understand if this is at an outport where gate agents are outsourced to a third party but in HKG? If security is the issue, isn't it better to improve background check and change/randomized gate agents' assignment to prevent collusion?

Last edited by Rivarix; Sep 29, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:40 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just asked for mine at Gate 25 by ISM. Jetway boarding CX flight with gate by CX staff.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Cassie55
In a US port a TSA agent got on board with a boarding pass for a different flight last week (as a test). CX will be fined for that. There was talk of the double check for US flights but it's been decided to do it for all to mantain consistency.
Is this documented anywhere? If so, I'd be inclined to give CX the benefit of the doubt and assume this is why the new policy is going into effect.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
The future
Ideally when you check in you should provide your thumbprint as the camera scans your face
When you pass through an airport to the final actual boarding point that thumbprint is your boarding card
No doubt a few terrorists won’t even bother since their ID goes through an international database
It has been known to swap identities in Hong Kong airside , people smuggling wise in the transit area
The boarding pass is in the same name of the guy with the fake passport he was just handed
Meanwhile the facilitator exits immigration on his ID card (or puts on his immigration uniform again)
When people get caught at the destination end the airline gets .... and has to repatriate them to .. an unknown country
So I am very happy if the ISM et al ask not only for my boarding pass, they need to see my passport as well
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Marco Polo
The future
Ideally when you check in you should provide your thumbprint as the camera scans your face
This seems almost alien when some airlines/airports still insist on this:

“Online boarding passes” are issued after completion of web check-in process. They can be self-printed by passengers or received via email/e-device. Frontline staffs at airport check-in counter will check “Online boarding passes” and stamp on them or change to traditional boarding passes."
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Is this documented anywhere? If so, I'd be inclined to give CX the benefit of the doubt and assume this is why the new policy is going into effect.
I haven’t seen it documented but was being widely discussed internally.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:59 pm

KA any different? Just boarded KA760 HKG-KMG at North Concourse Gate 501, not checked.
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:37 am
Suspended

I haven’t seen it documented but was being widely discussed internally.
they discussed one may not change FFP too but it can easily be done before or after olci too still. and at various counters
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Th following scenario has happened to me 2 times in the last few weeks ....

Boarding with mobile boarding pass (I'm using iPhone 7) ..... the ISM says "it's too small, I can't see which seat you are in" .... adjusts her glasses, moves the phone back and forth in front of her face ..... "why is it so small?" ..... hands it to the SP at the door .....

So I'm standing there for at least 30 seconds while they check which seat I'm in.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Th following scenario has happened to me 2 times in the last few weeks ....

Boarding with mobile boarding pass (I'm using iPhone 7) ..... the ISM says "it's too small, I can't see which seat you are in" .... adjusts her glasses, moves the phone back and forth in front of her face ..... "why is it so small?" ..... hands it to the SP at the door .....

So I'm standing there for at least 30 seconds while they check which seat I'm in.
tell her
maybe you should quit
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
In a US port a TSA agent got on board with a boarding pass for a different flight last week (as a test). CX will be fined for that. There was talk of the double check for US flights but it's been decided to do it for all to mantain consistency.
If the someone gets on board this way in the US, TSA itself may also have a problem. Someone can get in the jet bridge without getting boarding pass scanned. They should man the jet bridge as well.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Rivarix
They are there primarily to check your carry-on security stamp tag (i.e. to make sure it was previously scanned). Also, India starts to remove this procedure at some airports.
I flew BLR very often a few years ago. I believed they only checked the carry-on security stamp tags. Passengers are free to move things in and out from the carry-on. However, they cannot take out another bag inside the carry-on because they need another stamped tag! OTOH, they can take out an empty bag just to collect a stamp on the luggage tag at security to solve the problem. It seems more an employment issue (one person at each security line just to stamp tags and two persons after BP scan) than a security issue

They can deploy another security person at the door to ensure BP is correct.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
If the someone gets on board this way in the US, TSA itself may also have a problem. Someone can get in the jet bridge without getting boarding pass scanned. They should man the jet bridge as well.

The TSA agent showed his ID to the gate agent. This legitimately allowed him onto the jetbridge. Once at the aircraft door, he showed an incorrect bp but was let onto the plane. That's when he advised he was TSA and they had failed a test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.