Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Virtually non-existent J award on australia flights?

Virtually non-existent J award on australia flights?

Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Thats roughly equivalent. Waitlist and try to clear HKG-SYD on your original booking, and cancel your Avios award if your HKG-SYD clears. Hope you clear it >24 hours out (cannot cancel if <24)
My redeem over 24hr grace period long long time ago.

I originally waitlist 5 return tickets about 3 months ago, a month later CX confirmed my return leg, but still waitlist outbound leg. Then when I doing some awards search in Avios site, I noticed QF offering Y seat. But at the same time both CX site and even AM hotline said they cannot see it. I quickly redeem it thru Avios, so I hope CX released some awards J to me
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
No. There are two 24hr deadlines

One is to cancel the ticket for free (24 hours after ticketing)

The other is to cancel the ticket at all (24 hours before departure) (this rule meant I can't refund my CX595 and take something else http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post28823134 )
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
No. There are two 24hr deadlines

One is to cancel the ticket for free (24 hours after ticketing)

The other is to cancel the ticket at all (24 hours before departure) (this rule meant I can't refund my CX595 and take something else http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post28823134 )
My schedule departure date is near Mid-Autumn Festival, I really don't thinks CX will let me redeem the outbound leg

Will hold one more week to see any chance, will ticket the return leg otherwise
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: CX DM
I have noticed that most of the time award availability doesn't show up until the last few days. There are some exceptions where it goes out to around 14 days but then it's difficult to find both an inbound/outbound at the same time. For example, there is currently lots of availability almost everyday from MEL/SYD next week + early Oct but nothing on the outbound from HKG (heavy loadings).

Reasonable success thus far on the WL clearing if you're not redeeming last minute.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think it also has something to do with the time of year.

I redeem J HKG-SYD frequently and was able to do so for a pair of mid August flights about 3 weeks out and with around 2 flights a day showing availability.

Availability always gets a bit squeezed towards this time of year, if you have any MPC status there is a very high chance you get op-upped from PEY to J so I don't really think its because the seats are selling out.

The flights definitely do open up anywhere between 2 weeks, 10 days and 2-3 days before departure depending on the loadings. If you follow it closely you will notice the patterns.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: United Platinum
I was able to get 2 J reward seats JFK-HKG-MEL using my American points as a One World award. Granted I likely got lucky and was continuously calling for hours the minute that date opened on the calendar but it can be done! This is for mid december.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:32 am

Some update, CX did released a lot last minute same day or next day awards J seat to SYD, but I holding Avios award seat which I only able waiting last minute next day deal, this time I failed.

My QF118 will flying tomorrow, so I just bought exit row seat from QF.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:35 pm

I'm getting plenty of redemption upgrades from PEY to J on MEL-HKG and return. I usually book about 2 months in advance; it is rare to find availability at that point (I guess the really dedicated rewards guys book 12 months out), but you waitlist and it clears about 80% of the time. Recently I got the upgrade for MEL-HKG about 3 weeks out and HKG-MEL about 2 weeks out. I was particularly impressed with the latter because it was the night before mid-Autumn festival, I thought I was no chance.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I'm getting plenty of redemption upgrades from PEY to J on MEL-HKG and return. I usually book about 2 months in advance; it is rare to find availability at that point (I guess the really dedicated rewards guys book 12 months out), but you waitlist and it clears about 80% of the time. Recently I got the upgrade for MEL-HKG about 3 weeks out and HKG-MEL about 2 weeks out. I was particularly impressed with the latter because it was the night before mid-Autumn festival, I thought I was no chance.
That's good to hear. But unfortunately I'm finding less opups out of Y to PE/J on HKG/MEL these days given the larger Y cabin on the 350/77G
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Arbeysix
That's good to hear. But unfortunately I'm finding less opups out of Y to PE/J on HKG/MEL these days given the larger Y cabin on the 350/77G
Yeah opups are harder to get than redemption upgrades. Also upgrading Y to PEY is a totally different ballgame compared to PEY to J. The Y cabin is so much larger than the PEY cabin, odds are that even if there is a spare seat in PEY, someone else will outrank you in the line for upgrades.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Yeah opups are harder to get than redemption upgrades. Also upgrading Y to PEY is a totally different ballgame compared to PEY to J. The Y cabin is so much larger than the PEY cabin, odds are that even if there is a spare seat in PEY, someone else will outrank you in the line for upgrades.
I found that Y cabin are easier to be oversold than PEY. A lot of travel agents can get group Y booking cleared when when Y cabin almost full. i.e. Get 10 Y tickets at Y5. PEY cabin rarely oversold on its own.

However, when you were in PEY and CX bumps up pax from Y to PEY, you will be likely to be bumped to J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.