Cathay early baggage dropoff

Reply

Old Sep 19, 17, 3:57 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: DL GM, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
Posts: 37
I was denied check-in at JFK as a F pax 14 hours prior in July.

I was arriving from FRA into JFK at 8am, and was about to catch that evening's flight to YVR. I thought I would wander around the city a little bit without my luggage before my flight, so I went up to the F counter and asked to check in. The request was denied, and the agent claimed that "the system doesn't let her", and that "their shift is ending soon, so nobody would be holding my luggage responsible."
Petester is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 17, 7:33 pm
  #17  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by Petester View Post
I was denied check-in at JFK as a F pax 14 hours prior in July.

I was arriving from FRA into JFK at 8am, and was about to catch that evening's flight to YVR. I thought I would wander around the city a little bit without my luggage before my flight, so I went up to the F counter and asked to check in. The request was denied, and the agent claimed that "the system doesn't let her", and that "their shift is ending soon, so nobody would be holding my luggage responsible."
We are talking about hkg here?!
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 17, 12:59 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD | HGH
Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,909
Originally Posted by Petester View Post
I was denied check-in at JFK as a F pax 14 hours prior in July.

I was arriving from FRA into JFK at 8am, and was about to catch that evening's flight to YVR. I thought I would wander around the city a little bit without my luggage before my flight, so I went up to the F counter and asked to check in. The request was denied, and the agent claimed that "the system doesn't let her", and that "their shift is ending soon, so nobody would be holding my luggage responsible."
Most outports doesn't do all day check in or 24 hour early check ins. To start with, the actual airport would need to allow that, then it's up to the airlines, normally one airline needs enough frequency to make this actually work.
Ausriver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 18, 10:14 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 38
How early can I check my bags for a CX flight at JFK?
suzsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 18, 3:00 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by suzsy View Post
How early can I check my bags for a CX flight at JFK?
It looks like the answer to this question is 3.5 hours, which is a bummer as I was hoping to drop bags earlier than that. I'm on the 21:50 departure. With a 10:00 and 14:50 departure the same day, I had hoped I could drop bags around noon.

If someone knows that to be possible, I'd love to be corrected.
NickatFM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 18, 10:26 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Posts: 97
I'm flying from dxb To bkk on EK, flight arrives at 12:35 but my next flight on cx departs at 1910. I called ek they do not allow a check through, and cx baggage drop only opens at 1610. So im gonna have to carry my bags to town.... luckily I'm flying J on EK so the limo ride to town will be handy
manucanuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 18, 6:24 pm
  #22  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by manucanuck View Post
I'm flying from dxb To bkk on EK, flight arrives at 12:35 but my next flight on cx departs at 1910. I called ek they do not allow a check through, and cx baggage drop only opens at 1610. So im gonna have to carry my bags to town.... luckily I'm flying J on EK so the limo ride to town will be handy
theyve taken my luggage early before. U may be able to send ur bags at 1235 (or go to a cx transit desk and see if they would retag ur bag to hk)
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 18, 4:44 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by kaka View Post

theyve taken my luggage early before. U may be able to send ur bags at 1235 (or go to a cx transit desk and see if they would retag ur bag to hk)
this is amazing, thanks so much!

like i've done it with CX - TG (not even the same alliance), but was turned down by GA - CX, don't wanna risk the chances
manucanuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 19, 3:43 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: OSL
Posts: 2,099
We’re flying KA later this year, 8am flight, we will stay in HKG before but given hotel prices shoot up on the 30/12 to 31st I figured we may as well stay at the airport the night before.

Regal would be the easiest? Inside terminal?

But question is, can we check in our luggage, in economy, OWS, the day before. Probably in town as we’d drop off after check out.
dodgeflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 19, 9:56 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 165
Just a quick question, I want to drop my bag in airport express Kowloon station, I donít care about the boarding pass since I can get it in airport, can I drop the bag before 4pm July 24th for the flight CX840 HkG to JFK depart on July 25th 4:05pm? I know They wonít issue any boarding pass until 24hrs from departure, but can I still drop the bag?
cyster2007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 19, 2:35 am
  #26  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,359
Originally Posted by cyster2007 View Post
Just a quick question, I want to drop my bag in airport express Kowloon station, I donít care about the boarding pass since I can get it in airport, can I drop the bag before 4pm July 24th for the flight CX840 HkG to JFK depart on July 25th 4:05pm? I know They wonít issue any boarding pass until 24hrs from departure, but can I still drop the bag?
CX is a day before airline at Kowloon Station https://www.mtr.com.hk/archive/en/services/itci.pdf

I'm not sure if you can use your 24th ticket on the 25th - check with counter staff
percysmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 19, 4:37 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: AUS, WAS, PEK
Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold
Posts: 967
Originally Posted by cyster2007 View Post
Just a quick question, I want to drop my bag in airport express Kowloon station, I donít care about the boarding pass since I can get it in airport, can I drop the bag before 4pm July 24th for the flight CX840 HkG to JFK depart on July 25th 4:05pm? I know They wonít issue any boarding pass until 24hrs from departure, but can I still drop the bag?
I really doubt CX will accept bags for USA flights more than 24 hours before departure. After all, the check-in system is not even open. Where are you going to stay on the 24th? No hotel reservations at all? Your last bet is the luggage storage service at HKG airport (not very cheap though).
lixiaojuventus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 19, 7:19 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 165
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post


CX is a day before airline at Kowloon Station https://www.mtr.com.hk/archive/en/services/itci.pdf

I'm not sure if you can use your 24th ticket on the 25th - check with counter staff
my airport express ticket actually on 25th, my flight also on 25th, but on 24th afternoon I need to go Guangzhou for a night, thatís why I donít want to carry all the luggage
cyster2007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 19, 7:21 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 165
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus View Post
I really doubt CX will accept bags for USA flights more than 24 hours before departure. After all, the check-in system is not even open. Where are you going to stay on the 24th? No hotel reservations at all? Your last bet is the luggage storage service at HKG airport (not very cheap though).
I need to stay in Guangzhou overnight on 24th, thatís why donít want to carry all the luggage. And I think online check-in open 48 hours, CX also accept one day early for in-town check-in, but US regulation does not allow them to print out 24 hours before departure. I did call CX hotline few times and MPC hotline also, their answer both said yes, but I just worry about it
cyster2007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 19, 8:56 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SIN
Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Posts: 1,899
Iíve checked in bags at about 26hrs before my flight to the US, this April. Was at the airport, F/DM though- but then, the system was able to generate the bag tags.

Last edited by jagmeets; Jul 1, 19 at 12:17 pm
jagmeets is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread