Deterioration in IFE selection?

Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
In fact I realised that I'm looking at AA or JL to New York in business in a few weeks rather than Cathay - and IFE is part of it although so is a change of food options to see what else is out there. Prices are pretty similar and because I always do ex-TPE for long haul, making a change in Tokyo or DFW isn't much of a problem. I'll just be interested to see what the movie and TV selection is like on another airline where the hard product is very similar (or the same), the soft product is the same or perhaps slightly inferior and I still collect points anfd miles on Oneworld. Everything's a tradeoff but if the only change in IFE month-to-month from my perspective is an extra 3 episodes of "Billions" then I'm going to check out the competition
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Movies still look strong to me, when over this year the # of pages in 'Cantopop albums' have fallen from 6 to 2...

I was really pi$$ed when they took away 創世紀 as for that period all I did was to bingewatch it and that made 16 hour flights fly by fast

I haven't flown 35G yet but is there a wider variety on the new IFE system?
I think selection is the same on the 35G except for the live TV stream, CNN, BBC and a sports channel...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:07 pm

I think it's longer than the last year or so. For the last 2 or 3 years I seem to have always seen every film on there. The selection of films is still good for casual flyers but the TV shows have taken a downward turn with only a handful of episodes from a season on there now.

Maybe they blew the budget when they got all the Oscar winners.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Look you guys who fly CX all the time are lucky. Just you wait and try HighLife entertainment on BA. The movie selection is okay but the music selection is plainly pathetic.
Or MH lol..
Case in point: Their travel documentary on HKG was from the early 2000s.. think they were waiting for it to be "in the public domain"
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
J Also on 35G you could no longer sort movies by "Western Classics" etc etc (or maybe I did not find the way).
Hehe- so I'm not alone in feeling like a dinosaur trying to deal with the new interface vs the old one.

It took a few 350flights to figure this one out. In a particular section, towards the top right- not the corner but kind of like the last but one field, in sort of the second row of links (phew!), there's a drop down menu to filter to one of the original categories.

Yeah the old one looked and felt 'old', but comfortable- It's way easier for me to navigate that/skip the ads at the beginning etc.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:09 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
4 Aug HKG-SYD: no Dunkirk, Despicable Me 3. Only Cars 3 I think.

My Android phone is loaded with YouTube downloads of BEPS videos but I wasn't expecting to watch them on CX (rather UO)
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
wow...guess i wasn't the only one who noticed this. just flew lax-hkg and hkg-sin and watched a total of yes 2 movies!! new movie selection was horrible and the two movies i watched were considered classics
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:49 am

It has indeed deteriorated, I struggled to find something to watch during my last 13hr flt from YVR-HKG, gave up and worked on my laptop instead. The live CNN on the A350 is great though, after a long flt and being able to catch up on news for the next flt helps to start the day properly.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
i wonder if it would be feasible to offer "premium" content for additional a la carte cost? Say US$5 for first run movie or US$1-2 for a current season TV episode
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:44 am

What is 35 G? Thank you
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by alpenrose
What is 35 G? Thank you
Cathay vernacular for the A350-900.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Hehe- so I'm not alone in feeling like a dinosaur trying to deal with the new interface vs the old one.

It took a few 350flights to figure this one out. In a particular section, towards the top right- not the corner but kind of like the last but one field, in sort of the second row of links (phew!), there's a drop down menu to filter to one of the original categories.

Yeah the old one looked and felt 'old', but comfortable- It's way easier for me to navigate that/skip the ads at the beginning etc.
Ha thanks for letting me know. I only took one 359 segment at the moment but will have more chances later this year.

The touch screen is well improved (but very hard when used with remote control), but yes it was way easier to navigate in the old UI.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by percysmith

My Android phone is loaded with YouTube downloads of BEPS videos but I wasn't expecting to watch them on CX (rather UO)
I don't think WB released Dunkirk to airlines yet, given none of the US big 3 featured it in August and it was still in cinema. It hurts box office to pre-maturely release hot movies to airlines/hotel rentals etc. It looks like the addition is Baywatch (May), so July release might be out around Nov/Dec.

Off topic, I strongly recommend watching Dunkirk on an IMAX screen. I don't think home theater will give me even close experience as IMAX for this particular movie, not to mention on an IFE.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Sep 6, 2017 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by percysmith

How would airlines already have Dunkirk? It was just released to theaters a few weeks ago and still in rotation on the big screen.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Movies still look strong to me, when over this year the # of pages in 'Cantopop albums' have fallen from 6 to 2...

I was really pi$$ed when they took away 創世紀 as for that period all I did was to bingewatch it and that made 16 hour flights fly by fast

I haven't flown 35G yet but is there a wider variety on the new IFE system?
Quite a number of the Canton-pop has been moved to the new Canton-pop classic section... Overall choice has increased just you like or not (like I never know why GEM is still there for such a long time...)

Originally Posted by fishball
deteriorated +1. I think the TV section offers more interesting selections recently.
Just flew HKG-PVG. They changed the opening video of the IFE system...

Back to the topic, For movie usually I can find one new movie to watch every month... But just one... No interest on the others...

TV section yes it's much better nowadays... This month they've added American Ninja Warrior Season 8 ^ AXN is soooo slow... Still showing Season 7... They have ep 1 to 3 now, but don't know if they will have full season in-flight or not... Like TopGear, Season 24 (post Jeremy-Richard-May era Season 2) still only ep 1 and 2....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.