Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Should CX have a F and Diamond only lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should CX have a F and Diamond only lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by fakecd
dont forget partner elites who fly cx in Y. for example i am QF plat but regionally sub 2hr for leisure i purposely fly cheapest econ... bkk flight i pay 2k hkd on N class but if i visit both wing/pier dont CX charge 50 usd x 2 to qanas? plus return segment visit BKK lounge... so nearly 150 usd lounge revenue (almost zero costl for ticket costing 275 usd..)
No, CX pays CX in this case...
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Ah! But that means 1 less person to overcrowd the CX F Lounge
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
dont forget partner elites who fly cx in Y. for example i am QF plat but regionally sub 2hr for leisure i purposely fly cheapest econ... bkk flight i pay 2k hkd on N class but if i visit both wing/pier dont CX charge 50 usd x 2 to qanas? plus return segment visit BKK lounge... so nearly 150 usd lounge revenue (almost zero costl for ticket costing 275 usd..)
Just for fun I added up my F/C travel on other airlines that I would of fly Cathay. Comes down to roughly $30,000 USD so far. That is based on cheaper fares offered by other airlines. If Cathay didn't destroy their MPO and say I remain with them, the markup for Cathay is probably 33%, so say $40,000.

At $50 per person that's 800 people. So Cathay is "enslaved" to the $50 lounge "Easy cash" and loses someone like me. I'm sure I'm by far not alone. Say there's only 100 of me, that's 80,000 "easy cash" $50 lounge entrants. Pretty sure they loses more than 100 people similar to my case, and probably more revenue.

So way to go Cathay. Keep thinking that $50 per person is a cash cow, while at the same time losing your loyal revenue stream.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Just for fun I added up my F/C travel on other airlines that I would of fly Cathay. Comes down to roughly $30,000 USD so far. That is based on cheaper fares offered by other airlines. If Cathay didn't destroy their MPO and say I remain with them, the markup for Cathay is probably 33%, so say $40,000.

At $50 per person that's 800 people. So Cathay is "enslaved" to the $50 lounge "Easy cash" and loses someone like me. I'm sure I'm by far not alone. Say there's only 100 of me, that's 80,000 "easy cash" $50 lounge entrants. Pretty sure they loses more than 100 people similar to my case, and probably more revenue.

So way to go Cathay. Keep thinking that $50 per person is a cash cow, while at the same time losing your loyal revenue stream.

So you saying you won't go to the F lounge and become a DM because of all the "over crowding" by AA/AS redeemers and OWE elite?

Btw, how are the lounges for *A and Skyteam?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

This post is actually the epitome of Flyertalk, in a way

Thanks for your DYKWIA contribution
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I am definitely excited for it. First off, CX has a helluva track record with good lounges lately.

Second, maybe MPC is blowing smoke up DMs you know what, but a small group of us were told at an event a few months ago to expect better improvements exclusively for DM, and lounges were mentioned (vaguely) as one of the benefits. I was three glasses of wine deep but Masse said that to three of us together. Each of us complaining about how CX is slipping and competition is good.
I am sure if CX has an F & DM only lounge, will sure be a good added benefit for MPC. However I'm not sure what they could actually offer? Maybe better drink choices.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keitherson
This post is actually the epitome of Flyertalk, in a way

Thanks for your DYKWIA contribution
When is a statistical analysis and impact on a corporation a DYKWIA?

I will not retort on who I think you are and your motives least I become like your "epitome".
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermen
So you saying you won't go to the F lounge and become a DM because of all the "over crowding" by AA/AS redeemers and OWE elite?

Btw, how are the lounges for *A and Skyteam?
Less and less people in Flyertalk actually take the time to read what other people are saying and just like to attack strawmans.

I never complain about lounge over crowding. I do complain about Cathay castration of MPO program to save expenses AND lament the fact they think $50 easy cash entrants are a revenue stream, when I'm pointing out that losing long-time loyal Cathay flyers have a bigger negative effect on their bottom-line that they think they are saving by pushing us out.

I have many areas I hope Cathay can improve. Lounge over-crowding is pretty low on my list as I generally uses Pier F and it's rarely overcrowded.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:16 pm

Less and less people in Flyertalk actually take the time to read what other people are saying and just like to attack strawmans.

I never complain about lounge over crowding. I do complain about Cathay castration of MPO program to save expenses AND lament the fact they think $50 easy cash entrants are a revenue stream, when I'm pointing out that losing long-time loyal Cathay flyers have a bigger negative effect on their bottom-line that they think they are saving by pushing us out.

I have many areas I hope Cathay can improve. Lounge over-crowding is pretty low on my list as I generally uses Pier F and it's rarely overcrowded.
Fair enough.... the discussion segued from lounge over crowding to a gutting of the MPC program... so its hard to pick up the context.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Totally agreed.

Location wise it is more convenient to visit G16 for all KA departures. Cross the whole food court to go to Wing is a long trip from KA counters.

Maybe they could make it a KA F lounge, so only KA, CX F pax and own DM can access.
And of course OWE
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
And of course OWE
Or maybe just OWE actually travelling in a premium cabin.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Ausriver
If it's KA lounge, does it has to open to OW elites?
I would think so as KA is also technically part of OW (as an affiliate...)...although of course I wish it won't have to.

And of course OWE
Originally Posted by daniellam
Or maybe just OWE actually travelling in a premium cabin.
Or how about if OWEs love Cathay so much, why not just please join MPC instead? Why would Cathay be obliged to treat OWEs so well?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I would think so as KA is also technically part of OW (as an affiliate...)...although of course I wish it won't have to.

Or how about if OWEs love Cathay so much, why not just please join MPC instead? Why would Cathay be obliged to treat OWEs so well?
why should owe do so?
if cx dm keep complaining so much, why not ditch cx and go somewhere else lol...
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Just like airlines has business to run and bottom line to maintain, we consumer also have to seek value. If there are arbitrage opportunity, such as OWE elsewhere being as easily attainable as CX Silver, why should I dump my $$$ to CX for the sake of "loyalty"? It is CX that killed my loyalty but revamping MPC in the first place they told us my V class and ad-hoc I/D fares didn't matter so I went away and now come back to use their F lounges!

back to topic, I think CX can create a non OW lounge, I donno, call it invitation only lounge and make G16 to be such... You can't refuse OWE if this is a one-world lounge, but if you run a CX only lounge with entry by inviatation to elite CX memebrs I don't see how this affect OW rules. Not exactly the same but SQ has a "Star Alliance GOLD" lounge seperate to their Krisflyer lounge.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
back to topic, I think CX can create a non OW lounge, I donno, call it invitation only lounge and make G16 to be such... You can't refuse OWE if this is a one-world lounge, but if you run a CX only lounge with entry by inviatation to elite CX memebrs I don't see how this affect OW rules. Not exactly the same but SQ has a "Star Alliance GOLD" lounge seperate to their Krisflyer lounge.
it definitely doesn't affect their obligations, correct. They can easily launch a "Marco Polo Lounge" and give access to whomever the heck they like, as long as they keep another lounge operating for F elites. It's not dissimilar to TCR in LHR, or what Qatar does in Doha.

However, whether they'll actually do it is a whole different story. I'm hopeful...but have realistic expectations of slim to none.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.