Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is Cathay worth an extra $250 over China Southern and China Eastern?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Cathay worth an extra $250 over China Southern and China Eastern?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by coachcattle
Thank you for your response! This seems to be a very popular advantage haha

I've looked at every single option available. The departure/arrival/duration times are pretty much the same - no advantage there. So far, better english and not transferring via China seems like the only +s, not sure if that's worth an extra $500 ($250 each for the Wife and I)
Not having to do the connection would be the big thing. No worries about transit without a visa in China, no worries about IROPS and getting stuck an extra day in China.

Cathay is supposed to be a very nice experience, while the others are simply average.

I'd be seriously tempted to spend the extra money.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

How is United compated to Cathay for international travel?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
@coachcattle, welcome to Flyertalk.

As you're comparing carriers to CX, please follow the redirect to the CX forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Depends, if your flying J then CX is generally significantly better but in Y that is relative to your expectations.

As for the original thread versus CZ/MU I wouldn't say its even a question for the following reasons:

- Much better onboard service (including english across the board)
- Although the Chinese airports aren't bad, transmitting at HKG is far more efficient
- Better hard product
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I would pay $250 to avoid Pudong as a connecting airport. When the PLA Navy wants to play with its ships the delays can be significant.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. The resounding answer to my question was yes so I've gone ahead and booked with Cathay!

Actually I was going to say book with MU/CZ because from reading the thread it seems like the $500 is a huge factor to the OP.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:21 pm

I would avoid any mainland carrier where possible for safety above all else, whilst CX is amongst the best in the world in that respect. $250 is a bargain.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Quick pointer: MU has 10-abreast Economy, while CZ and CX have 9-abreast Economy on their 77Ws. Pilots on Chinese ultra long haul flights are very senior and are pretty well trained, so I wouldn't feel unsafe on either CZ or MU flights. For me, status and FFP aside, I would go for the cheaper option
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by 1010101
I would avoid any mainland carrier where possible for safety above all else, whilst CX is amongst the best in the world in that respect. $250 is a bargain.
That can't be understated, there are some very sketchy practices and standards within many asian airlines and that isn't limited to the mainland. I'm sure most on here have heard the horror stories from Korea and Indonesia.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: CX
I'm flying from SFO to BKK this November in Coach. I'm reading the China Southern/Eastern airlines are to be avoided at all costs. Some questions below

1) Is the price difference worth it if flying Coach? ($250 more for Cathay)
2) Is China Southern much better than China Eastern? SkyTrax ranks China Southern as a 5-star airline
Used to fly MU a lot SYD-PVG, 8-10 years back. Would definitely pay the US$250 difference between the airlines. Would rather transit at HKG than CAN or PVG (the HKG food court )
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1010101
CAAC carriers are incredibly safe. Certainly safer than the US big 3. I would not hesitate to fly on any Chinese airline for safety reasons.
miklcct likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
CAAC carriers are incredibly safe. Certainly safer than the US big 3. I would not hesitate to fly on any Chinese airline for safety reasons.
Agreed! Service on the other hand..
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Ask any pilot who has ever shared airspace with them if they think that. Rote learning doesn't always apply itself well to flying.

Last edited by 1010101; Aug 30, 2017 at 1:34 am
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:49 am

omg this is a shock. Choosing CX?!!
I was half expecting most here to say that
"CX is the worst, their Y is worse than the worst LCC on earth...."
miklcct likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
IMHO - UA generally scores better than CX (Y only).

CX is definitely scoring better on customer service while UA is hit or miss. But that's it. UA stands out in the following:

1. UA has WiFi, and cheap.

2. UA's IRROPS handling is better.

3. UA has affordable E+ compared to CX's PEY. In fact, your $250 can buy at least 1 leg of E+.

4. UA admits its problem. When necessary, UA will provide compensation without asking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.