Typhoon HATO

Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Interesting article on the KLM landing. I'm not a pilot so have to trust the experts on this. Wil be interesting to read any further discussion.

I stand by not flying MH though. They were flying over the Ukraine when most other airlines were deliberately avoiding it. Sure the specific incident was unprecedented but why take that risk?
I would suggest you get your facts correct.

MH were certainly not the only one's flying over Ukraine. Many other airlines were including Singapore Airlines who were just behind MH. There were other european and asian airliners behind or ahead of the MH aircraft.

No warnings were issued by any international aviation body so stop blaming MH and move on. You don't like the airline, fine. Don't fly them.

But to have this vendetta against them is quite silly. I lost a cousin on that flight that was shot down but you don't see me holding a grudge against the airline for something that was beyond their control.

But you have no complaints against the KLM pilots who flew into a T10 category typhoon yesterday in HK and landed? Strange.

BACK ON TOPIC.

I saw a video of the poor chap who was holding on to a van in downtown HK and got crushed when the van flipped over. RIP...horrible tragedy but what was he doing outside in that weather.

This looks like a very very nasty typhoon of epic porportions.

Stay safe everyone.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by wolf72
I saw a video of the poor chap who was holding on to a van in downtown HK and got crushed when the van flipped over. RIP...horrible tragedy but what was he doing outside in that weather.
That was in China, not Hong Kong. Darwinism in action!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by christep
That was in China, not Hong Kong. Darwinism in action!
Was it related to this typhoon or fake news?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
That I'm not sure about.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:54 am

I would suggest you get your facts correct.

MH were certainly not the only one's flying over Ukraine. Many other airlines were including Singapore Airlines who were just behind MH. There were other european and asian airliners behind or ahead of the MH aircraft.

No warnings were issued by any international aviation body so stop blaming MH and move on. You don't like the airline, fine. Don't fly them.

But to have this vendetta against them is quite silly. I lost a cousin on that flight that was shot down but you don't see me holding a grudge against the airline for something that was beyond their control.

But you have no complaints against the KLM pilots who flew into a T10 category typhoon yesterday in HK and landed? Strange.
Read the rest of the thread. This started with me saying I thought the KLM landing sounded dangerous, then someone told me I was overreacting and by that logic I would never fly MH. So I was responding to that.

Maybe I was overreacting on the KLM (there's an article above where the pilot justifies his decision to land on the basis that the winds were not across the runway).

I stand by my MH comments though. I'm sorry for your loss, I knew a couple of people on that flight as well. I spoke to people at CX and QF at the time and neither of those airlines were flying over the Ukraine at that time.

Anyway, we're getting well off topic, I'll end it there.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
(HT kaka) http://hkm.appledaily.com/detail.php...tegory=instant

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...-clear-backlog

No fun for either airline concerned, summer loadings so heavy (even though yield is falling).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by percysmith
(HT kaka) http://hkm.appledaily.com/detail.php...tegory=instant

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...-clear-backlog

No fun for either airline concerned, summer loadings so heavy (even though yield is falling).
I feel really sorry for the airlines involved. No one wants this to happen and you can't imagine how CX/KA/HX/UO (in particularly for UO since most of the passengers are O&D to HKG) wants to fly all passengers back to HKG immediately. However, they still receive a lot of complaints which clearly isn't even their mistake.

I hope the ground staff are not being scolded at all the time.
wolf72 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:23 am
Suspended

Sadly, it has begun. The lack of common sense by a certain group of tourists from a certain country has begun in KLIA Kuala Lumpur as their flights are affected but they are intent as per normal in causing the biggest scene possible at the airport.

I gather none of them have bothered to buy travel insurance.

Link: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-...d-typhoon-hato

Tourists from China, Hong Kong protest at KLIA to demand flights home amid Typhoon Hato

PETALING JAYA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A group of tourists from China and Hong Kong whose flights were disrupted by Typhoon Hato staged a demonstration at Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Wednesday (Aug 23) to demand a flight home.

A 23-year-old student, who only wanted to be identified as George, said he was among 200 tourists who were stranded at the airport since their return flight was cancelled.

It was earlier reported that Typhoon Hato had affected flights to Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Macau.

He claimed that the airline company offered them a replacement flight on Aug 27, but most of them had to return immediately for work or school.

At around 6pm, the group went to the Cathay Pacific check-in counter and began chanting in Chinese, "we want to go home".

A dozen policemen arrived at the scene to monitor the situation, though no action was taken against the tourists.

A woman, who declined to be named, said the tour leader had been liaising with the airline officials since the first group arrived around 8am.

"They offered to let us travel in small groups on different flights, but we want to go back together in a group," she said.

The group seen at the airport departure lounge included families, the elderly and students in their 20s, with many on their phones or trying to sleep on the airport seats.

Cathay Pacific ground crew at the counter declined to comment.

The Hong Kong Observatory issued a No. 10 typhoon signal at 9.10am on Wednesday, the highest in Hong Kong's storm warning system.

In response to Typhoon Hato, Hong Kong has cancelled flights, ferry and bus services.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bart simpson
I feel really sorry for the airlines involved. No one wants this to happen and you can't imagine how CX/KA/HX/UO (in particularly for UO since most of the passengers are O&D to HKG) wants to fly all passengers back to HKG immediately. However, they still receive a lot of complaints which clearly isn't even their mistake.

I really do feel for the ground staff sometimes. What can they do? It's not as though it is as easy as ABC to add on extra flights to begin with to clear the back-log. Especially during peak travel season.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:45 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by bart simpson
I really do feel for the ground staff sometimes. What can they do? It's not as though it is as easy as ABC to add on extra flights to begin with to clear the back-log. Especially during peak travel season.
Two views are tenable.

First is to assume pax are reasonable but disappointed and panicky (gotta go back to work) (gotta connect at XXX), empower staff to deal with them as much as they could, put managers out there, put out info, keep pax informed and try and resolve it as best they could together.

Second is to assume pax are a mass of YYY and assume they'll occupy aircraft/take over your desk/stop planes from taking off given the slightest excuse. The only response is a crash helmet and G4-levels of customer service.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
When TransAir had a weather-related crashed in Penghu, Taiwan, all the press and people were screaming why the airlines decided to fly in bad weather.

The VERY NEXT DAY, when TransAir cancelled a flight to Penghu due to weather, all the pax were protesting and demand the flight to take off. I mean the VERY NEXT DAY. How crazy can people get?

There's something about flying that make most people irrational. When I see Typhoon at my destination? I don't demand they take off, rather I would want them to offer hotel and meals ASAP so I can rest up till the day after.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I stand by my MH comments though. I'm sorry for your loss, I knew a couple of people on that flight as well. I spoke to people at CX and QF at the time and neither of those airlines were flying over the Ukraine at that time.

Anyway, we're getting well off topic, I'll end it there.
The reason CX and QF were not over Ukraine was because their route did not go over that country. SQ was just ahead of MH in the exact same corridor. So if SQ was delayed, it could very well have been SQ to have been shot down.

CX would have routed further north as all their flights would have overflown Russia and China towards HKG.
1010101 and patrickw like this.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Aug 24, 2017 at 11:00 am
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Sadly, it has begun. The lack of common sense by a certain group of tourists from a certain country has begun in KLIA Kuala Lumpur as their flights are affected but they are intent as per normal in causing the biggest scene possible at the airport.

I gather none of them have bothered to buy travel insurance.

Link: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-...d-typhoon-hato

Tourists from China, Hong Kong protest at KLIA to demand flights home amid Typhoon Hato....
It's this group of a certain country again... sure they want to go home, but really do they NOT have any brains that the plane can't land in HKG? Basically they want money as compensation...simple as that.

Please. Just leave them be. Fly Air Koryo next time.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Was it related to this typhoon or fake news?
It was filmed in Zhongshan in Guangdong province, during the typhoon. Classified as one of the typhoon-related deaths in the mainland.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
It's this group of a certain country again... sure they want to go home, but really do they NOT have any brains that the plane can't land in HKG? Basically they want money as compensation...simple as that.

Please. Just leave them be. Fly Air Koryo next time.
Ageed GB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.