Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon HATO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72
I am surprised they put you through this; Cathay staff and the airline are seasoned veterans when dealing with cancellations due to typhoons. And the 27th is a LONG way away vs 23rd (today). And they expect you to pay for your accomodations and meals till then?

Hope you have travel insurance.
They finally put us up in a hotel for a night. They made it clear that it is for one night. Thank you everyone for your advice. Our insurance will help a little.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:58 pm

Interesting article on the KLM landing. I'm not a pilot so have to trust the experts on this. Wil be interesting to read any further discussion.

I stand by not flying MH though. They were flying over the Ukraine when most other airlines were deliberately avoiding it. Sure the specific incident was unprecedented but why take that risk?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I stand by not flying MH though. They were flying over the Ukraine when most other airlines were deliberately avoiding it. Sure the specific incident was unprecedented but why take that risk?
Singapore 2 minutes ahead on the route.. Virgin behind.

No one thought they were in danger or route wouldn't have been planned.

Grow up.

MH likely had one suicidal individual.. (as has Egyptian, Silk air, ect... it happens) and one stroke of fate. They operate daily into difficult airports in Asia without incident.

I don't work for them or have anything to do with them.. but they are a safe carrier.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: CX DM
Interesting article on the KLM landing. I'm not a pilot so have to trust the experts on this. Wil be interesting to read any further discussion.

"Most other airlines" = which ones?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I stand by not flying MH though. They were flying over the Ukraine when most other airlines were deliberately avoiding it.
Not true. Airlines were still flying over Ukraine. It's only after the incident that airlines decided to fly around Ukraine.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Not true. Airlines were still flying over Ukraine. It's only after the incident that airlines decided to fly around Ukraine.
Yes including LH and SQ.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
It seems purely unlucky for MH during that year... where were all their 777s gone?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:51 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Let's stay on the topic of Typhoon Hato and the effect on CX's operations.

Thanks
sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by christep
At HKG there is no need for batmen directing planes to the main gates - they have an electronic guidance system.

And really! I grew up by the sea in the UK, today wasn't that exceptional, in general.
Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed and 80 to 110km per hr is nothing extraordinary in many coastal regions.
HK has become so precaution-minded, for legal/media reasons, that it is starting to be ridiculous IMO.

I can understand the risk of the ocean overflowing, as it did today, or a branch falling from a tree, or a typical-HK scaffolding breaking. But if a jetway cannot operate with 100km wind or staff cannot unload bags, then there is a real problem with the airport.
These sort of comments pop up every time a typhoon comes along, it seems certain type of people like to downplay the severity of these storms. I assume its ignorance rather than malice. Wind speeds got up to 180kmh at HKIA and 10 people dies as the typhoon made landfall so its wasn't anything like a typical day on the UK coast or 'elf and safety' gone mad.

The issue is as the construction standards in HK now mean everyone lives in a reinforced concrete bunker and its very easy to feel disconnected from the true intensity of these storms

While its annoying for people to have their flights cancelled its far better than having a plane slide of the runway into the sea or worse.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Herostratus
These sort of comments pop up every time a typhoon comes along, it seems certain type of people like to downplay the severity of these storms. I assume its ignorance rather than malice. Wind speeds got up to 180kmh at HKIA and 10 people dies as the typhoon made landfall so its wasn't anything like a typical day on the UK coast or 'elf and safety' gone mad.

The issue is as the construction standards in HK now mean everyone lives in a reinforced concrete bunker and its very easy to feel disconnected from the true intensity of these storms

While its annoying for people to have their flights cancelled its far better than having a plane slide of the runway into the sea or worse.
Agreed. As someone who also grew up around the coast in the UK, a typhoon is a million miles away from any storm in the UK. Leave the concrete clad building in mid levels and go down to the coast or up onto high ground and say it's nothing exceptional.

It would be very dangerous to have ground staff out operating heavy equipment on an airfield.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by 1010101
It would be very dangerous to have ground staff out operating heavy equipment on an airfield.
There are a number of citizen-reporter videos out there from Hato showing trucks keeling over, heavy dumpsters and other loading equipment shuffling wildly all over the place, a construction crane doing wild 360s, scaffolding smashing into building windows, people getting knocked over by the wind, and the clincher, a truck overturning and crushing its owner to death.

And airports are full of loading equipment, trucks, and things that swing in and out. Plus things that fly.

I guess christep grew on up on the French Lieutenant's Woman coastline, but to me Hato was a one in a 5-10 year event...

Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
CX548 on Saturday got switched to 77G from 77H, but today and tomorrow's 548/549 are still on 77H. Do you guys think it's Hato Related? I'm sure flight ops is pretty complex, but between today and tomorrow, I would have expected all 77Hs would have made it back to HKG by Saturday morning to do the flight.

MPO is only offering to convert my RT redemption to OW, and will only return 20K miles and if I don't agree, they cannot reissue my ticket, holding my trip hostage.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
CX548 on Saturday got switched to 77G from 77H, but today and tomorrow's 548/549 are still on 77H. Do you guys think it's Hato Related? I'm sure flight ops is pretty complex, but between today and tomorrow, I would have expected all 77Hs would have made it back to HKG by Saturday morning to do the flight.

MPO is only offering to convert my RT redemption to OW, and will only return 20K miles and if I don't agree, they cannot reissue my ticket, holding my trip hostage.
what's the easiest way to see which aircraft you're on? I usually check with seat guru but not sure if there's a better way with more up to date info.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
what's the easiest way to see which aircraft you're on? I usually check with seat guru but not sure if there's a better way with more up to date info.
I noticed it yesterday when my Z-class booking was changed to U-Class, which in fact is also incorrect because my ticket is already on I-Class. Upon checking the aircraft is now 77G or the 3 class config of the 77W.

I initially thought they need a higher capacity a/c to ferry stranded passengers from yesterday's cancellation but if today and tomorrow's 548 is still on 77H, then how is Saturday different.

Could it be because of crewing? Running out of crew perhaps?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:23 pm

They keep announcing new flights that are delayed because of aircraft rotation. Like there's an announcement every 5 minutes. No doubt a result of the typhoon. Gl everyone but luckily delays seem very minoe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.