Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Help! Cathay have changed the date of my flight!

Help! Cathay have changed the date of my flight!

Old Aug 20, 17, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Angry Help! Cathay have changed the date of my flight!

What are my rights? The flight has gone back a day which does cause inconvenience, I booked a flight on that date for a reason!

If it's not possible to change back to the date I want what can I do, can I get upgraded to F from J? Can I claim compensation?

Thanks in advance, the flight is LHR to PER.

Last edited by Pack; Aug 20, 17 at 4:41 am
Old Aug 20, 17, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pack View Post
What are my rights? The flight has gone back a day which does cause inconvenience, I booked a flight on that date for a reason!
If it's not possible to change back to the date I want what can I do, can I get upgraded to F from J? Can I claim compensation?
Thanks in advance, the flight is LHR to PER.
When is the flight?
Is the HKG-PER flight not operating on the day you want to travel?
Hoping for a free J to F upgrade is wildly over optimistic. They may offer you a full refund.
Old Aug 20, 17, 5:53 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Which segment was changed? LHR to HKG or HKG to PER?

The only compensation you can get is either ask for a different date (maybe one day later instead of earlier), look at alternative routing with another OW carrier (if it's not a redemption ticket), or get a full refund. If it's far away enough you can try to fly a different airline to get to PER on the date you need to.

As for the upgrade from J to F, that is not likely and will not solve your problem if the flight was indeed cancelled or re-timed.
Old Aug 20, 17, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Thanks, I'll see if I can change to another OW carrier, hopefully Qatar!

flight isn't until December.
Old Aug 20, 17, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rubbish. How can anyone here possibly provide advice without knowing the reason for the suggested rebooking?

OP - What did CX say when you called to ask why? Might this be an error, is a flight not operating, was it overbooked?

If this is a ticket from LHR-PER and the flight is within 14 days, OP is entitled to substantial cash compensation under EC 261/2004.

If the flight is more than 14 days out, OP has the option to cancel for a full refund with no penalties, to be rebooked now, or to be rebooked at a later date --- all at his option.

In any event, I would do the homework and determine what other options there are and ask for those in order of preference.
Old Aug 20, 17, 8:05 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Rubbish. How can anyone here possibly provide advice without knowing the reason for the suggested rebooking?

OP - What did CX say when you called to ask why? Might this be an error, is a flight not operating, was it overbooked?

If this is a ticket from LHR-PER and the flight is within 14 days, OP is entitled to substantial cash compensation under EC 261/2004.

If the flight is more than 14 days out, OP has the option to cancel for a full refund with no penalties, to be rebooked now, or to be rebooked at a later date --- all at his option.

In any event, I would do the homework and determine what other options there are and ask for those in order of preference.
OP already stated it is still in December and the carrier did re-book him proactively free of charge. It just so happened that it was not workable for the OP and the advice given was he has right to a full-refund or re-routing to arrive on the same day he was scheduled to which is within EU 261. No cash comp since the airline did meet the requirement to notify more than two weeks out and will actually get the OP earlier instead of later so delay comp doesn't apply either.

Best thing OP can get is a re-route through another OW airline for no extra cost for arrival on the same day. If this is a cash booking, it may be cheaper to ask for the refund and re-book on another airline.
Old Aug 20, 17, 8:23 am

Programs: CX JL QR LH | Hilton SPG/Marriot
Does EC261 still work on LHR though. For FRA, sure. But LHR?
Old Aug 20, 17, 8:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashsong View Post
Work?

What do you mean?
Old Aug 20, 17, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is that it's a reference to BREXIT.
Old Aug 20, 17, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ashsong View Post
Presumably, GB has domestic companion legislation similar to EU261. Idk. Either way, EU rules still apply for now.
Old Aug 20, 17, 2:41 pm
Suspended

EC 261/2004 applies to all flights departing the EU. LHR is in the UK which is a Member State. The Regulation thus applies even though CX is not an EU carrier.
Old Aug 21, 17, 7:45 am

This happened to me before - my reservation was inexplicably moved to a flight 3 days later after a 5 minute schedule change with my original flights. The original routing was still valid (in fact they rebooked me on the exact same flights with the same schedule change 3 days later).

They were unable to offer any coherent reason why I was moved off my original flights but they told me they could not give me my original flights back, even after escalation to a variety of "supervisors".

I was only offered a refund or a very inconveniently-timed flight with an extra stop on another OW carrier that happened to have availability. I had to take the flight offered simply because by that time I was unable to find a reasonable alternative (prices has gone up substantially between booking and the schedule change).

Basically they can do whatever they want with your reservation, from their perspective their only legal obligation is to take you from point A to point B. The reservations on the specific date/flights are always subject to change and they can disavow all responsibility by offering a refund if the new schedule doesn't suit you.

I have been other airlines where they will go above and beyond to will try to accommodate you (I've had UA CS agents call their revenue management team to force open seats on alternative flights), but CX appears not to be willing to do that.
Pack likes this.
Old Aug 21, 17, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
In the coc they are actually obliged to take you to B at a flight THAT YOU AGREE WITH. You are free to buy a full fare and sue their backside if they dont refund you.
Old Aug 21, 17, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
In the coc they are actually obliged to take you to B at a flight THAT YOU AGREE WITH. You are free to buy a full fare and sue their backside if they dont refund you.
They will refund you, but if you have to rebook on another airline for more money, you have no further recourse.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Aug 21, 17, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
I suppose that you can sue anybody for anything. But, your advice is wrong and awful.

Read the Contract and EC 261/2004 and you won't find provision for this. Usually that means you lose.

I would under no circumstances cancel for a refund, purchase a new and more expensive ticket and remotely hope that the balance will be won in a lawsuit.

If you have any authority to to the contrary, please post it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: