Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Mixed Class Bookings (or lack thereof)

Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Am I correct in saying CX are getting more restrictive with allowing mixed class bookings, especially from Asian outports? I recall it being easier a few years ago.

I recently completed an ex-PNH E class return to the USA, and will most likely book an ex-TPE E class return to BCN. On both occasions, I contemplated flying one way in I, but the mixed class booking wasn't allowed.

For both instances, E/I, E/D and even R/D combinations were not allowed. W/J ok.

My question is.. why would the airline turn down extra revenue? For me, the increased cost to fly one way in business class is often quite palatable, especially if I'm heading straight to work.

Many other airlines seem quite keen to sell mixed class bookings, with easy functionality to offer this on their respective websites.

I accept that the CX website is too basic to offer mixed class bookings, but I was very surprised to hear from multiple phone agents that "we don't currently offer mixed cabin bookings from this outport."
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Not a problem at all from my outport. Guess YMMV.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:53 am
Original Poster

I should specify that I haven't faced similar issues ex-USA/Canada.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
That's fare specific, far more complicated than just seeing the sub-class (i.e. need to check it's ex-XXX). Sometimes it could be E can't match with I/D, other times it could be I/D can't match with E (or YBHKMLVSNQG as well if that matters).

And if your fare is GV2 usually no class mixing is allowed.

You need to check the specific fare conditions for details.

p.s. For W/J/Y mix it's always ok no matter where it is originated as it's full flex fare
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Right, but for both ex-Cambodia and ex-Taiwan, the phones agents said "we are not offering this promotion at this time, for any sub-inventories other than full fare." I didn't even know mixed class bookings were a promotion, as opposed to being a round trip sold on a combined half-round trip basis.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by tomofmaine
Right, but for both ex-Cambodia and ex-Taiwan, the phones agents said "we are not offering this promotion at this time, for any sub-inventories other than full fare." I didn't even know mixed class bookings were a promotion, as opposed to being a round trip sold on a combined half-round trip basis.
I'd say they changed the fare rules rather than promotion ended...

For ex-TPE to BCN, just checked that I class stated that can't mix classes... Not specified for D and C. For E / R, it said "contact the TA" so probably limited to EY / PEY mix...

Honestly nowadays I found that ex-TPE becoming more and more restrictive and expensive... I'm already exploring other ports....
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Agreed. Got a great E/I fare from MNL instead, just a pity since TPE is easier if I have to do it as a turnaround, and if I make a day trip out of it, I'm happy to spend a day or night enjoying Taipei anyway.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Question on mixed class revenue bookings

Digging up old thread to avoid starting new one.

Making a mixed class booking, outbound D class fare and inbound J class fare. The CX booking website (and detailed fare rules available at the end of the booking process) indicate D fare has a change fee, the J fare doesn't.

The CX booking interface seems to indicate I won't be charged a change fee if I change the inbound sector (the J class sector). That's the sector I might need to change, whereas the D fare timing is set and stone and flexibility is meaningless. But I have in my memory CX imposes change fees across round-trip itineraries based on the lowest fare class booked in the itinerary, D class in this case. Is this memory correct?

So my question is: if I booked this mixed fare itinerary, flew the outbound (D class) sector as originally scheduled, but changed the inbound sector (J class), will a change fee be applicable or not?

I'll add my voice to the chorus of people who say this new booking interface seems quite buggy if you want to pick and choose your fare class easily.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by QRC3288

Making a mixed class booking, outbound D class fare and inbound J class fare. The CX booking website (and detailed fare rules available at the end of the booking process) indicate D fare has a change fee, the J fare doesn't.

The CX booking interface seems to indicate I won't be charged a change fee if I change the inbound sector (the J class sector). That's the sector I might need to change, whereas the D fare timing is set and stone and flexibility is meaningless. But I have in my memory CX imposes change fees across round-trip itineraries based on the lowest fare class booked in the itinerary, D class in this case. Is this memory correct?

So my question is: if I booked this mixed fare itinerary, flew the outbound (D class) sector as originally scheduled, but changed the inbound sector (J class), will a change fee be applicable or not?

I'll add my voice to the chorus of people who say this new booking interface seems quite buggy if you want to pick and choose your fare class easily.
It will most likely be applicable but precision on this matter will require digging into the fine print of the fare rules! --> 3888 can check for you
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:50 am

It's quite amazing that they can mix D with J in one booking... I was always being told that J can only mix with Y / W / F...

Yes usually always the most restrictive rule apply so I guess they will still charge you change fee... But given that it's a J fare... Case might be different... Better call 3333 not 3888 to ask...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Saw this in one of my fare rules (pardon the caps, or, blame GDS/EF):

“WHEN THIS FARE IS COMBINED WITH ANOTHER FARE -
CHARGE THE HIGHEST PENALTY FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENT PER TICKET.”

I reckon that changing the return leg would only invoke the ‘J’ rules (highest penalty of all changed fare component).

Fairly certain that I’ve seen wording that’s a tad different.. ‘when combined, the highest penalty of all combined components applies’.

Calling ernestnywang for his (or her!- Sorry) experience!

I do recall seeing the latter on SQ (& Krisflyer used to have rules that were punitive- a single non-earning sector used to render the whole itinerary mile-less).
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
It will most likely be applicable but precision on this matter will require digging into the fine print of the fare rules! --> 3888 can check for you
Originally Posted by sscywong
It's quite amazing that they can mix D with J in one booking... I was always being told that J can only mix with Y / W / F...

Yes usually always the most restrictive rule apply so I guess they will still charge you change fee... But given that it's a J fare... Case might be different... Better call 3333 not 3888 to ask...
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Saw this in one of my fare rules (pardon the caps, or, blame GDS/EF):

“WHEN THIS FARE IS COMBINED WITH ANOTHER FARE -
CHARGE THE HIGHEST PENALTY FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENT PER TICKET.”

I reckon that changing the return leg would only invoke the ‘J’ rules (highest penalty of all changed fare component).

Fairly certain that I’ve seen wording that’s a tad different.. ‘when combined, the highest penalty of all combined components applies’.

Calling ernestnywang for his (or her!- Sorry) experience!

I do recall seeing the latter on SQ (& Krisflyer used to have rules that were punitive- a single non-earning sector used to render the whole itinerary mile-less).
thanks for the advice.

the change fee is a fraction of the ticket price, not end of the world, but this is tied into a bigger problem: just figuring out how to buy specific sub fareclass tickets successfully on this website redesign. I've learned scores of info from here the last few years but I'm still behind the ball compared to other forum members. The booking process itself seems a little convoluted online, especially if you're trying to buy higher fareclass tickets but cheaper ones are available on one of the segments. (because they keep offering up the cheaper ones only, is there a way to get around this?) I wish they'd just give you all the options and let you pick the sub fare class you want for the class of service. A (rare) nod to the US airlines for having this down pat, versus the confusing mess we have with CX.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Just call in to book- easier all around..

or, if you feel like wasting 10mins, like I once did, shoot up an incognito browser window, make a dummy booking all the way through to the payment page, with the number of passengers the same as availability for the lower fareclass that you don’t want (won’t work for 9s, I guess!), and then, back in your main window make the booking that you actually want (will get pushed over to the next higher fareclass).

The website seems to block inventory after inputting the pax names (&indeed I saw a booking reference in MMB in my main window- but that went away soon enough.

edit to add: fixed vs flexible dates search show the available options differently, although iirc it’s also different for different PoS. A recent exHKG booking I was making - the presentation of the results was different for an exSIN and an exSouthAfrica booking that I’d just done.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by QRC3288

Ex-Taiwan, CX changed the rule about 2 months ago. Now change fee is collected based on the highest penalty of the bound / component that got changed. For example, I purchased a Q+L class ticket in December and needed to change only the L part, and because in Taiwan there's no change fee for L class, I didn't have to pay for anything. I am not sure if this is applied to other markets / origins, but it looks like this is the case.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Ex-Taiwan, CX changed the rule about 2 months ago. Now change fee is collected based on the highest penalty of the bound / component that got changed. For example, I purchased a Q+L class ticket in December and needed to change only the L part, and because in Taiwan there's no change fee for L class, I didn't have to pay for anything. I am not sure if this is applied to other markets / origins, but it looks like this is the case.
thanks, and to the other posters above.

this is an ex-HKG ticket. But CX agents confirmed on the phone what you just said here, so I think it's true across the board.
ernestnywang and sscywong like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.