Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

heavily discounted I fare thru Cathay Dragon on Ctrip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

I was recently checked and finally booked a return trip SIN-BKK on CX in Sep.

CX wanted S$924 for the ticket and most travel travel agent suggest something similar. However, ctrip.com has got the same ticket for sale for CNY 2664 (S$543) including tax. And it was only available on the Chinese version of ctrip, select english and search, returns CNY 4758 for the fare.

I hesitated for several days and booked last night, ticket issued in few seconds and shown under my cx bookings as I class, tickets was issued by "cathay dragon", not as a code share or anything.

So it seems that Cathay Dragon is selling some of CX ticket at almost half price (before tax)
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I was recently checked and finally booked a return trip SIN-BKK on CX in Sep.

CX wanted S$924 for the ticket and most travel travel agent suggest something similar. However, ctrip.com has got the same ticket for sale for CNY 2664 (S$543) including tax. And it was only available on the Chinese version of ctrip, select english and search, returns CNY 4758 for the fare.

I hesitated for several days and booked last night, ticket issued in few seconds and shown under my cx bookings as I class, tickets was issued by "cathay dragon", not as a code share or anything.

So it seems that Cathay Dragon is selling some of CX ticket at almost half price (before tax)
my SG based friend found the same rate on the CX website, but you need to find the specific page that has the promo fare...I couldn't find it last night though, but i was trying it on my iPhone, so maybe a desktop version would provide the proper page where you can book this particular rate.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
my SG based friend found the same rate on the CX website, but you need to find the specific page that has the promo fare...I couldn't find it last night though, but i was trying it on my iPhone, so maybe a desktop version would provide the proper page where you can book this particular rate.
I wasn't able to pull anything else less than $900 for the last week, tried all major online travel agents and none of them showing something Ctrip China suggest. And that was the reason made me worried about the fare (there has been reports suggest ctrip sometime sell redemption bookings as revenue bookings). I wouldnt want to pay over $500 for redemption booking while Ive got load of asiamiles myself.

It is also my first time to try companion redemption for myself. Checked regular redemption before booking with ctrip. Only few second after payment, I could find my booking under CX management booking and hence able to book redemption online. Only 25000 miles required for my wife instead of the regular 40000. Seems great value for both of us.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:40 am

For SIN-BKK, J fare is usually set at S$500+, if you search for tickets which is more than 2 week from departure, I think the price is quite good (Also Y for S$250+)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CX30616
For SIN-BKK, J fare is usually set at S$500+, if you search for tickets which is more than 2 week from departure, I think the price is quite good (Also Y for S$250+)
I totally agree with you. Such a short flight without HKG invovled, $500 seems to be the right price for J.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Ctrip, finally got to know them through a business client. They actually have a great algorithm with most airlines that they are able to get the cheapest fares offered. So like what another poster said Cathay was offering the cheaper fare, but their horrendous website made it hard to fine. Ctrip on the other hand found it, listed it, and sold it.

I do go to Ctrip regularly now to check on prices. But yes like you say, you have to use the Chinese version. Using English and they ripped you off.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Ctrip, finally got to know them through a business client. They actually have a great algorithm with most airlines that they are able to get the cheapest fares offered. So like what another poster said Cathay was offering the cheaper fare, but their horrendous website made it hard to fine. Ctrip on the other hand found it, listed it, and sold it.

I do go to Ctrip regularly now to check on prices. But yes like you say, you have to use the Chinese version. Using English and they ripped you off.
I sometimes felt that's the reason CX has so many op-ups, or the reason that their Y cabin could be oversold by a lot would be because KA selling tickets to Chinese travel agents ( travel groups) when flights full.
I once able to pull a V class fare for my wife on Ctrip when expertflyer shows Y1 B0. Took about one hour to issue the ticket and it was good.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Ctrip now owns Skyscanner and that's one of the reasons. Your ticket could be issued by somebody else while you are booking with Ctrip.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't booked many CX/KA tickets through Ctrip but I generally find the English and Chinese websites offer the same fares. Maybe that's changed recently as I've been using the app exclusively lately, ill have to check and see.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
is there a way to check the fare class on CTRIP?

I'm looking at an economy fare. it's slightly cheaper on Ctrip. CX sells the cheapest as Q class it seems. I need it to book into Q on Ctrip
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermen
is there a way to check the fare class on CTRIP?

I'm looking at an economy fare. it's slightly cheaper on Ctrip. CX sells the cheapest as Q class it seems. I need it to book into Q on Ctrip
I don't think you can check fare class online, however, if you call ctrip, you can ask for the actual fare class....
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
did a dummy booking for SIN-BKK CX app price is SGD266 while trip app shows SGD226
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I don't think you can check fare class online, however, if you call ctrip, you can ask for the actual fare class....
It actually did show the fare class when you hover "退改签 行李规定" (which shows in blue). Example below.

*携程不加收任何退改服务费,具体费用按航空公司规定收取退改签全程退票费按航空公司客票规则为准返程退票费按航空公司客票规则为准去程更改费按航空公司客票规则为准返程 更改费按航空公司客票规则为准签转不得签转行李规定台北 — 香港
香港 — 台北成人手提:每人1件,每件7公斤每件三边不超过56*36*23CM托运:每人30公斤每件长宽高之和≤203CM购票须知备注普通乘客:不可加订婴儿票

航班舱位:KA5461(Q舱),KA5564(Q舱)
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
It actually did show the fare class when you hover "退改签 行李规定" (which shows in blue). Example below.

*携程不加收任何退改服务费,具体费用按航空公司规定收取退改签全程退票费按航空公司客票规则为准返程退票费按航空公司客票规则为准去程更改费按航空公司客票规则为准返程 更改费按航空公司客票规则为准签转不得签转行李规定台北 — 香港
香港 — 台北成人手提:每人1件,每件7公斤每件三边不超过56*36*23CM托运:每人30公斤每件长宽高之和≤203CM购票须知备注普通乘客:不可加订婴儿票

航班舱位:KA5461(Q舱),KA5564(Q舱)
example for I fare
*携程不加收任何退改服务费,具体费用按产品提供方规定收取退改签全程退票费按航空公司客票规则为准返程退票费按航空公司客票规则为准去程更改费按航空公司客票规则为准返程 更改费按航空公司客票规则为准签转不得签转行李规定台北 — 香港
香港 — 台北成人托运:每人40公斤每件长宽高之和≤203CM里程航司基础会员可累积航司里程1620(价值¥243)购票须知备注航班舱位:CX407(I舱),CX408(I舱)
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
example for I fare
*携程不加收任何退改服务费,具体费用按产品提供方规定收取退改签全程退票费按航空公司客票规则为准返程退票费按航空公司客票规则为准去程更改费按航空公司客票规则为准返程 更改费按航空公司客票规则为准签转不得签转行李规定台北 — 香港
香港 — 台北成人托运:每人40公斤每件长宽高之和≤203CM里程航司基础会员可累积航司里程1620(价值¥243)购票须知备注航班舱位:CX407(I舱),CX408(I舱)

thanks that is very helpful.
yes i can see it in the chinese webpage but not the english.
i guess going forward, i should check the chinese webpage, then use the HK english one to book

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.