Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX904 is out starting Nov2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Originally Posted by Checklist Complete
This would appear to coincide with the period that the MNL main runway is closed overnight for (much needed) repairs.
Interesting if this is the CX reason for pulling out CX904 but I don't think so. Looking at January 2018 up to mid-March 2018, the first CX MNL-HKG flight is still CX932 departing 06:30 arriving 08:45. I would think that runway repairs at MNL NAIA would be done by January. Also, Cebu Pacific in November 2017 still has their MNL-NRT A330 operated flight departing at 05:40. Scoot also has their MNL-SIN departing at 06:05.

However, it looks like CX904 departing MNL 05:15 arriving HKG 7:20 is available on March 26, 2018; not 100% sure if that date is the first return of CX904 on the CX timetable.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:22 am

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
Originally Posted by christep
If so, and if 06:30am is the time that NAIA says the runway will reopen, many years of experience of The Philippines suggests that in reality "6:30am Philippines time" will be nearer 7:30amin the real world, so I wouldn't be booking any tight connections off that flight.
Haha Touché

The change from 5am to 6:30am is indeed due to runway work as explained to me by CX checkin gate personnel. However:

(1) the change is not daily. I was supposed to take a monday CX904 last month but decided to extend a day. Tuesday CX904 departed at 5am.

(2) the 6:30am departure flight (arriving approximately 8:30am HKG) will still let you connect to CX898 (which typically leaves HKG at 9:25am). My July Monday CX904 still let me connect to CX898. I also have one scheduled in January that also allowed me to connect to CX898.

(3) For the July schedule, CX still called the "delayed" flight CX904. The January flight is indeed CX932. Not sure why they decided to renumber.

(4) CX898 is supposed to be axed wintertime except December 11-23 and then January 1-20.

As discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-canceled.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...n-cdg-lax.html

and sourced here:

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...rvice-updates/
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
I used to take CX904/898 as my return flight and really enjoyed the convenience it provided. No traffic to the airport and nice leisurely lounge breakfast in HKG before boarding on the LAX.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Cebu Pacific still operates their 5:30am flight in November, most of the first domestic flights depart between 4:30-6:00am too

I initially thought that the they will limit the repairs to the main runway(06/24) so narrow bodies used by Cebu Pacific and PR can still use runway 13/31. However upon checking PR's SFO-MNL flight on the 18th of November seems to still arrive at 3:40am.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Aug 7, 2017 at 3:39 am
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapuLapu
I used to take CX904/898 as my return flight and really enjoyed the convenience it provided. No traffic to the airport and nice leisurely lounge breakfast in HKG before boarding on the LAX.
Plus the fact that T3's aircons are not fully functioning and it doesn't get that hot at 4 in the morning.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:00 am

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Cebu Pacific still operates their 5:30am flight in November, most of the first domestic flights depart between 4:30-6:00am too

I initially thought that the they will limit the repairs to the main runway(06/24) so narrow bodies used by Cebu Pacific and PR can still use runway 13/31. However upon checking PR's SFO-MNL flight on the 18th of November seems to still arrive at 3:40am.
Maybe its about plane size to address why 5J planes are still allowed considering 13/31 is the only one open.

Its also possible having just one runway that arrivals like the PR from SFO is allowed.

I'm basing my guesses on this article that points to a recent emergency work done: http://www.philstar.com/headlines/20...ergency-repair

And based on my July trip, I also think the repair is not done daily.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cartman7110
Maybe its about plane size to address why 5J planes are still allowed considering 13/31 is the only one open.

Its also possible having just one runway that arrivals like the PR from SFO is allowed.

I'm basing my guesses on this article that points to a recent emergency work done: http://www.philstar.com/headlines/20...ergency-repair

And based on my July trip, I also think the repair is not done daily.
All NA flights on PR arrive around the same time using runway 06/24, I'm surprised it seems like CX is the first to announce the changes, as even EK's DXB-MNL also arrives at 5am, and they still have it in November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.