CX ran out of dessert wine

Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
CX ran out of dessert wine

Was on CX136 (PER-HKG).

They ran out of the sweet white dessert wine. Shock horror... I guess one may argue this is a first world problem...

Only had a glass. J cabin wasn't even full (main cabin almost full, mini-cabin totally empty!). Surely they should cater more dessert wine on Australian flights (this must be a new thing as usually they serve the red port and nobody ever drinks it!)

Too bad I don't fly CX J longhaul too much these days... but hope it doesn't happen again!

Last edited by ermen; Jul 31, 2017 at 7:24 pm
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Oh yeah, I believe all dessert wines were upgraded to Sauternes? Could have been the positive response from new J class service trial. One more reason to believe they are really very inclined to roll out the new service, smh/sigh.....
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by ermen
Was on CX136 (PER-HKG).

They ran out of the sweet white desert wine. Shock horror... I guess one may argue this is a first world problem...

Only had a glass. J cabin wasn't even full (main cabin almost full, mini-cabin totally empty!). Surely they should cater more desert wine on Australian flights (this must be a new thing as usually they serve the red port and nobody ever drinks it!)

Too bad I don't fly CX J longhaul too much these days... but hope it doesn't happen again!
I drink port and never drink sweet white desert wine.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:51 am

I am very grateful that the spelling in the subject line was corrected...it was making my eyes bleed.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I am very grateful that the spelling in the subject line was corrected...it was making my eyes bleed.
Mine too....hence changed haha
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i had dessert wine on my recent flight and wasnt anything to write home about...

after trying emirates J lounge, i realized just how crappy CX offering is. one bottle in emirates lounge is probably what CX pays for bulk buy for half dozen of its crappy lounge/J class offering.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
If it really was the Sauternes, definitely credit to CX. Although leave it to CX to shoot themselves in the foot and only stock one bottle. If you're going to do something nice, go all the way.

But if that's indeed the Sauternes I tried as part of the new meal service concept, it's definitely an upgrade over the LBV port I think they offer

Originally Posted by fakecd
i had dessert wine on my recent flight and wasnt anything to write home about...

after trying emirates J lounge, i realized just how crappy CX offering is. one bottle in emirates lounge is probably what CX pays for bulk buy for half dozen of its crappy lounge/J class offering.
Yes, without a doubt CX's wine in the lounges is atrocious. Not sure if you're been to Wing F lately, but they have a $2 USD bottle of white there in the side section.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

It was the DV By Doisy Vedrines Sauternes 2013

Whatever that means... but it tastes yum...
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ermen
It was the DV By Doisy Vedrines Sauternes 2013

Whatever that means... but it tastes yum...
yea, i mean put it this way.

if you're one to care about price, that Sauternes is (at retail) 50-150% more expensive than the LBV (late bottled vintage) port they normally have on offer in J class.

Away from price, there are plenty of absolutely lovely ports out there, stunning stuff if you don't mind paying up a little for a proper tawny or vintage. However, historically IME CX has not offered those. Like all wines, port has some bottom of the barrel stuff and that's generally what CX serves. Most folks just like sweet wine so they don't give a darn that it really is low grade port. But just fyi, the ruby and LBV CX usually serves are at the rock bottom of the port hierarchy. If CX had a nice 20 year tawny or a vintage port (...fat chance), then I might not be so thrilled with the change, because vintage or a decent tawny port are just lovely.

But going from Dow's or whatever recent LBV port to this Sauternes is like going from a beat up Chevy to something....a lot nicer. I used to have a beat up Chevy for the record, close to my heart. These two wines are a different ballgame. Which is also hilarious that CX only stocked one bottle. Talk about being dumb. Hopefully that's an unintentional oversight of demand increase, always possible (although I doubt it). Let's see if them running out becomes a thing or it gets alleviated, like the burgers. If you recall, CX used to only stock a few per flight. Then they doubled or tripled the amount they were catering and the problem is effectively resolved.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jul 31, 2017 at 7:44 pm
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

i think they should have catered more Sauternes on Australian flights.

I observe that Australians are partial to a nice sweet white dessert wine (more than most I think...)
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
yea, i mean put it this way.

Away from price, there are plenty of absolutely lovely ports out there, stunning stuff if you don't mind paying up a little for a proper tawny or vintage. However, historically IME CX has not offered those. Like all wines, port has some bottom of the barrel stuff and that's generally what CX serves. Most folks just like sweet wine so they don't give a darn that it really is low grade port. But just fyi, the ruby and LBV CX usually serves are at the rock bottom of the port hierarchy. If CX had a nice 20 year tawny or a vintage port (...fat chance), then I might not be so thrilled with the change, because vintage or a decent tawny port are just lovely.
I love a glass of Port with my cheese but that stuff Cathay serves is terrible. Coupled with the occasional lack of a proper blue cheese the entire cheese course can be a real let down....
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:02 am

You spoiled degenerates
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Kandiru
You spoiled degenerates
ha.

although i have to say, CX has steadily taken the fastest route to the bottom when it comes to wine in J that to have some Chateau Doisy is actually a move in the right direction.

for a long while, i was having to dig to find out that the plonk they served in J was stuff they contracted to be produced for them directly from marginal producers and likely a rock bottom cost.

to the point where I would rather drink a can of san miguel than drink the crap they were serving.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 5:24 pm

Flying from Incheon to Hong Kong this week in business class I asked for port with the cheese plate and was told that it is no longer carried. For Cathay of all airlines that struck me as an odd and most unwelcome move.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:39 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
It's a $288 bottle of Port https://www.thebottleshop.hk/taylors...tage-port.html - they're begrudging us even for that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.