Traveling with 24 inch monitor

Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by imnewhere
I think I will stick with checking in the original box, unless CX says its okay to bring onboard at the check-in counter.
This is the best method.

Its original packaging is specially design to happen tough situations.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:18 am

As usual, I failed to understand the rationale for lugging 24" PC monitor as carry-on when it is so convenient to check it in. How could this be comfortable for anyone?

(Audio)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I have moved couple of 24 inch and once a 27 inch LCD as check in luggage with CX, all I did was bubble wrap it and put it into my suitcase. No need to worry about it.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: MPC, HH & others
I am going to travel from SIN to HKG in Y later this week and will bring along a 24 inch monitor.

What is the best way to go about it?

I would love to bring it onboard but not sure if that's allowed.

Is it safe enough to have it checked in?
I have hand carried a Canon Printer on one trip 6 weeks ago and a 24 inch Asus Monitor on another. I carried it in a large shopping back and had no issues whatsoever. The customs guys scanned the items and asked what they were before waving me through.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Okay. Thanks guys! I think I will stick with checking in the original box, unless CX says its okay to bring onboard at the check-in counter. In that case, I will just bring the whole box as a carry-on.
Check it in a cheap suitcase with some (more) padding like the big bubble wrap and cardboard, if you are going to pay for a checked bag anyway. Keep in mind though it travelled 000's of kilometres from Asia it was in a container with 000's of others all protecting each other and bobbing along on a nice Boaty McBoatface. And if it got wet or punctured it did not make it to Best Buy to begin with.

That padding won't protect it from baggage handler's olympic hammer throwing activity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.