Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No redemptions in J possible?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2024, 9:53 am
Original Poster

No redemptions in J possible?

Hi folks, I was trying to redeem a J class flight with miles (HKG --> AMS) but cannot seem to find any availability even up until 5 months from now. How is this possible, and why am I even collecting miles if the redemption opitons are so limited? Will the redemption availability get better upon reaching Silver status? I am really frustrated by this and would like to seek advice from my fellow flyers. Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:46 am

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
Just be a little flexible and redeem HKG-LHR-AMS. CX are more likely to open up HKG-LHR availability as they go 4x a day. you don't just waltz in and expect to find something available, especially in the summer months.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by mach9103
Hi folks, I was trying to redeem a J class flight with miles (HKG --> AMS) but cannot seem to find any availability even up until 5 months from now. How is this possible, and why am I even collecting miles if the redemption opitons are so limited? Will the redemption availability get better upon reaching Silver status? I am really frustrated by this and would like to seek advice from my fellow flyers. Thank you in advance.
there are several dates in Oct, just using random check
both direct and indirect via LHR on CX.

Can also fly using Finnair.
percysmith likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: CX Gold
The short answer is that there's nothing you can do apart from keep checking. I am not aware that status will get you better availability. Maybe for DMs but no chance for SLs and GOs.

The reality is that miles are not easy to use and do not be fooled by influencers. I'm sure many people here have hundreds of thousands of miles and couldn't find the optimal way to spend it. Across all airlines, there are limited redemption opportunities for LH J flights because they are the most desired products. There isn't unlimited inventory for customers to burn their miles when they desire. The worst culprit is Qantas, where going to space is easier than finding international J availability.

Focusing on AMS, CX only operates a direct flight per day. It is significantly harder when compared to busier routes such as LHR. Even for LHR, last time I checked there was no inventory for July. Not to mention, the summer months for European destinations are particularly competitive.

Good luck
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 5:03 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Another member booking FIVE months in advance, wow! 👏👏
AmD950 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:13 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
I just do spot checks and can see a few options listed by CX in J.
1. This is very possible for the Miles game.
2. You can always read the discussions or do dummy searches on CX about the availability.
3. Silver is still very low in CX. Try Diamond.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:16 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Another member booking FIVE months in advance, wow! 👏👏
Recently I saw quite a lot of complaints about redemption, here or on reddit.
'Seats are gone within 1 minute after the release schedule!' or 'Why can't I find a J seat to some popular destination?' or 'Why can't I redeem a Japan bound ticket during Easter Holiday"...
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:34 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Often I feel folk just do not take the time to look properly.
HawaiiO, AmD950 and tentseller like this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 1:18 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
The provided search tools suck
Nicc HK likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by AmD950
Recently I saw quite a lot of complaints about redemption, here or on reddit.
'Seats are gone within 1 minute after the release schedule!' or 'Why can't I find a J seat to some popular destination?' or 'Why can't I redeem a Japan bound ticket during Easter Holiday"...
All those people are pessimistic https://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hk/%E7%9...8F%8A%E8%88%88
Old Apr 11, 2024, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
The provided search tools suck
It is a real test of patience. A few clicks too quickly and repeated searches and you'll get an error message.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 10:30 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Anecdotally, both this year and last, I think I've redeemed 10+ sectors for me and family in regional J. I have found regional availability excellent, and it's even better if you're willing to fly PEY or Y. I'm sure it's a bummer if the route you want isn't available; my experience with miles (and specifically Asia Miles) is they're best used as a discount mechanism for my annual flight budget, but not necessarily a free ticket I can bank on for this or that precise trip. Pay cash if unavailable and burn miles if those available and over the year or so the savings works out. (It ends up being more cash tickets than redemption tickets, to make clear!). Of course easier said by those of us who might fly a bit more often. I don't have a good solution but just to say, whereas CX might be stingy on AMS or longhaul routes, there has been a lot of availability lately at least where I fly around Asia. Business destinations mostly Shanghai, Singapore, Beijing, Taipei, Tokyo with a few others. I don't recall redeeming on Tokyo but pretty sure I did for at least a few of the first four cities.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 5:54 am

QRC3288 long haul redemption J is where the value is, regional redemption J is just Choice award post-Covid reincarnation.

I still keep balances for all three active family members but have run them to pretty much minimal now - for every redemption I have to replenish from flexible currency.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
long haul redemption J is where the value is
This is the answer to why it is hard to find seats for popular routes. There are daily F availability to PEK, but who is willing to burn 43K for a 3-hour flight?

Also, a random search shows flights to Australia with ample inventory, arguably a sweet point under the new pricing. Redeeming Long Haul J is still possible.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cxwaterboy
This is the answer to why it is hard to find seats for popular routes. There are daily F availability to PEK, but who is willing to burn 43K for a 3-hour flight?

Also, a random search shows flights to Australia with ample inventory, arguably a sweet point under the new pricing. Redeeming Long Haul J is still possible.
I haven't found availability to Australia that great, although I will say AM is holding a lot of inventory for its own members that other FFP can't see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.