Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Routes included in upgrade bid trial: Adelaide, Amsterdam, Bangkok, Brisbane, Cebu, Chiang Mai, Chicago, Colombo, Denpasar (Bali), Dubai, Kathmandu, Rome and Seoul

https://upgrade.cathaypacific.com/offer/CathayPacific

2014 Enhance discussion thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1584763-cx-upgrade-bidding-discussion-experiences.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1819458-upgrade-bidding-coming-back.html
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Bid

Old May 28, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
No need to put in a bid after all... Seems as though my flight is sold out: F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Just noticed also that there are 2 other flights on CX leaving with 40 mins. after mine departs. Those too are at/near capacity as well. Wow!! CX planning to get A380
's?
Old May 29, 2018, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
No need to put in a bid after all... Seems as though my flight is sold out: F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Just noticed also that there are 2 other flights on CX leaving with 40 mins. after mine departs. Those too are at/near capacity as well. Wow!! CX planning to get A380
's?
Op-Up has occurred SFO-HKG.. Just when I was prepared to be happy with my window PE seat.. Now I will get some real rest on the flight in J sleeper seat..
Old May 30, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Op-Up has occurred SFO-HKG.. Just when I was prepared to be happy with my window PE seat.. Now I will get some real rest on the flight in J sleeper seat..
Good to hear that Zacnlinc, so did u actually make your upgrade bid eventually? And if they decline?
What status are you in MPO/oneworld alliance?
I'm quite curious about my upgrade bid to ICN as well! Hahaah
Old May 30, 2018, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by hahaboy123

Good to hear that Zacnlinc, so did u actually make your upgrade bid eventually? And if they decline?
What status are you in MPO/oneworld alliance?
I'm quite curious about my upgrade bid to ICN as well! Hahaah
I didn't make a bid... SFO-HKG was an op-up and not available for bidding. HKG-ICN is the only leg of my trip that I could place a bid. Opting not to do so since it's a relative short flight compared to the first leg.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: MPC CXGO, IHG RA
Received an offer to bid on SYD-HKG return. Outbound was booked in N and inbound booked in V. Bid starts from AU$585 with a maximum bid of AU$885 (same for both leg)
Hum.... so sub fare class doesn't affect bid amount?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
I usually fly BA but due to a time requirement am expecting to fly from LHR to HKG with CX next month. I have to fly in W due to company policy.

Two questions:

1. Is it possible to bid for an upgrade on this route (LHR>HKG>LHR)?

2. I'm a BA Gold (so OWE); does this factor in any priority for upgrade on a bid etc?

TIA !

Chris
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
From what we can tell, the upgrade bid is somewhat a joke (again). The offers don't appear frequently, and when they do they are appalling bad...as in so expensive you just have to laugh (usually better off just buying J outright). I also don't seem to notice people reporting any LHR offers here. Definitely don't get your hopes up. OWE is also irrelevant to it.

The best bet is to ensure your employer buys W or R (but not E, the cheaper one), and then use Asia Miles to upgrade to J on a space available basis. Two out of three of the major credit card currencies transfer (Citi TY + Amex), plus SPG, plus a host of options if you're tied into the HK loyalty or financial scene at all. Rates are reasonable for now for mileage upgrades, although they increase on June 22.

Your last bet is hope for an op-up. Odds are low but always a shot. We're a little unclear on the priority but the consensus is you're below CX Diamond and Gold, and perhaps Silver, but still we hear plenty of reports of OWEs getting op-ups here.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by QRC3288
The best bet is to ensure your employer buys W or R (but not E, the cheaper one), and then use Asia Miles to upgrade to J on a space available basis. Two out of three of the major credit card currencies transfer (Citi TY + Amex), plus SPG, plus a host of options if you're tied into the HK loyalty or financial scene at all. Rates are reasonable for now for mileage upgrades, although they increase on June 22.
Being BAEC I have zero Asia Miles but a lot of Avios. Any way I can convert any (I’m assuming no!) or buy Asia Miles ? Sorry for the daft questions just clinging to the ever hope I can somehow upgrade to J!

Last edited by ibbitsc; Jun 13, 2018 at 5:13 pm
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ibbitsc
Being BAEC I have zero Asia Miles but a lot of Avios. Any way I can convert any (I’m assuming no!) or buy Asia Miles ? Sorry for the daft questions just clinging to the ever hope I can somehow upgrade to J!
Convert? No.

Buy? Yes, but only if you already have at least 70% of the miles needed for the award. So not possible for you.
ibbitsc likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Has anyone ever received an upgrade bid from LAX to Hong Kong? Bids are available for me to and from Hong Kong and Bangkok, but not on the long haul segment.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
What class do you bid for? I am flying Y to SHA. Trying to use a GO upgrade mid-tier benefit but told there is no I availability, yet I receive a upgrade bid offer.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by beach86
What class do you bid for? I am flying Y to SHA. Trying to use a GO upgrade mid-tier benefit but told there is no I availability, yet I receive a upgrade bid offer.
Ha! That's amazing. Funny, and pathetic (for CX) too.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
Originally Posted by beach86
Im a regular flyer between shanghai and hong kong and this happens all the time. Very frustrating especially since i need to burn 2 more upgrade coupons before the end of September and everytime I fly its the same issue. No avaliability in Business class then a few days later i get the email for the upgrade bid!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by randomeejit
Im a regular flyer between shanghai and hong kong and this happens all the time. Very frustrating especially since i need to burn 2 more upgrade coupons before the end of September and everytime I fly its the same issue. No avaliability in Business class then a few days later i get the email for the upgrade bid!
CX is just shooting themselves in the foot with this behavior.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Michael Perry
Has anyone ever received an upgrade bid from LAX to Hong Kong? Bids are available for me to and from Hong Kong and Bangkok, but not on the long haul segment.
I've connected from LAX thru HKG 4 times in the past year. In each case, the non-LAX legs have been biddable, but the LAX-HKG/HKG-LAX legs have not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.