Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Routes included in upgrade bid trial: Adelaide, Amsterdam, Bangkok, Brisbane, Cebu, Chiang Mai, Chicago, Colombo, Denpasar (Bali), Dubai, Kathmandu, Rome and Seoul

https://upgrade.cathaypacific.com/offer/CathayPacific

2014 Enhance discussion thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1584763-cx-upgrade-bidding-discussion-experiences.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1819458-upgrade-bidding-coming-back.html
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Bid

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fakecd
i dont kbow about step discount.

only use i see is for business trip where company pays for economy on long haul
I don't think anyone works for a company only pays Y fare would consider paying thousands of us dollars to get upgraded to J on a business trip.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I am flying early next week on CX 885 (LAX-HKG) in premium economy (E class). So far no email or offer when logging into my reservation. It didn't look like to me when reading the rules that E class was excluded from the upgrade bid program. I realize that the E fare is excluded from upgrading using miles. On Expert Flyer the flight looks really light in all premium cabins as well as coach so I was hoping to see if I would receive an offer. I'm the type of customer that would likely bite and pay the extra money for the upgrade.......which I assume they are targeting for extra revenue.

First time commenting on the Flyer Talk forum.........but I have been lurking for some time and have really learned quite a bit!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:57 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I'm pretty sure I had read somewhere that only W R fare classes were eligible for upgrade and not E but I can't find it in the FAQs anymore.

Edit: this used to be in the T&Cs but I can't find it anymore:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28569086-post7.html

But essentially It looks like CX is deliberately keeping eligibility for bidding fluid.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I would normally think charging half of the price difference between I and paid price would make sense. Since the bidding system doesn't earn pax I status and miles and it is also design for someone who obviously couldn't afford I fare.

Asking for $2000 for one hour in the air regional J seat + snake.... Whoever designed the calculation must be out of their mind.
Can't agree more. The NA-HKG W fare is usually USD$2,300 while I is around $6,000. The student discounted fare, which I am not qualified for, for I is around $3,000. I would more than happy to pay more than $4,000 for I fare, but unfortunately that's not "bidable".
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:54 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Can't agree more. The NA-HKG W fare is usually USD$2,300 while I is around $6,000. The student discounted fare, which I am not qualified for, for I is around $3,000. I would more than happy to pay more than $4,000 for I fare, but unfortunately that's not "bidable".
What's the student discounted fare and how does one access it?

Also, if booked in student I fare, do I still earn as if it were a regular I fare ticket? Is there an A fare student price as well?

Last edited by hl176; Sep 1, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sxc
I'm pretty sure I had read somewhere that only W R fare classes were eligible for upgrade and not E but I can't find it in the FAQs anymore.

Edit: this used to be in the T&Cs but I can't find it anymore:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28569086-post7.html

But essentially It looks like CX is deliberately keeping eligibility for bidding fluid.
Nope, it's not restricted to W/R fares. I bought an E fare and was offered upgrade bid for my HKG-AKL legs. My LAX-HKG legs were not eligible, but I believe that upgrade bid is just not necessarily available for all flights operating the routes mentioned.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Perry
I am flying early next week on CX 885 (LAX-HKG) in premium economy (E class). So far no email or offer when logging into my reservation. It didn't look like to me when reading the rules that E class was excluded from the upgrade bid program. I realize that the E fare is excluded from upgrading using miles. On Expert Flyer the flight looks really light in all premium cabins as well as coach so I was hoping to see if I would receive an offer. I'm the type of customer that would likely bite and pay the extra money for the upgrade.......which I assume they are targeting for extra revenue.

First time commenting on the Flyer Talk forum.........but I have been lurking for some time and have really learned quite a bit!
I just flew CX883 and I'm flying CX880 in a couple days. Upgrade bid is not available for me. I'm booked in PE (E fare). I believe it's only available on certain flights operating the LAX-HKG route. Perhaps the non-daily flights like CX898/CX884 (and the corresponding returns)?

Last edited by swingaling; Oct 16, 2017 at 9:01 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by swingaling
Perhaps the non-daily flights like CX898/CX884 (and the corresponding returns)?
Both those flights are daily too.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
Nope, it's not restricted to W/R fares. I bought an E fare and was offered upgrade bid for my HKG-AKL legs. My LAX-HKG legs were not eligible, but I believe that upgrade bid is just not necessarily available for all flights operating the routes mentioned.
Swing - do you recall what your "recommended bid amounts" were? I'm making the same flight next week, and the combined "recommended bid" for all legs, plus my original E tix, would put me at the cost of a biz tix
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Another silly example, wife is flying to Beijing, it's a cheap economy ticket (M/H class). Only one way is available for upgrade (the Cathay leg, KA isn't upgradeable, or because its a CX codeshare on KA it doesn't work).

The minimum fare for an upgrade in one direction was about 4000 HKD (low chance), to get up to a top chance it was over 8000 HKD (same price as a return in business outright pretty much..?).

Hopefully they fix the concept else it will be dead in the water as far as I'm concerned. At a minimum they need to give miles/points to the same level as if you paid for the business fare outright.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Another silly example, wife is flying to Beijing, it's a cheap economy ticket (M/H class). Only one way is available for upgrade (the Cathay leg, KA isn't upgradeable, or because its a CX codeshare on KA it doesn't work).

The minimum fare for an upgrade in one direction was about 4000 HKD (low chance), to get up to a top chance it was over 8000 HKD (same price as a return in business outright pretty much..?).
Lol! You can buy one way F straight away for 9k HKD. Why on Earth would you pay the same to upgrade to CX's horrible J class for the same price, AFTER already buying an economy ticket? This is just nuts.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
Swing - do you recall what your "recommended bid amounts" were? I'm making the same flight next week, and the combined "recommended bid" for all legs, plus my original E tix, would put me at the cost of a biz tix
Yeah, that sounds about right. The "recommended" bid amount was ridiculous. $1,665 per leg (HKG-AKL). The minimum was $895, iirc. If you're comfortable paying the minimum bid amount for the upgrade, then that's what I'd bid. I'm guessing you'd have a pretty decent chance of it clearing.

The recommended amount is a bad joke. Seriously. If someone wanted to pay that much for the upgrade, they would've just purchased a J fare in the first place.

Last edited by swingaling; Oct 16, 2017 at 8:58 am
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by littlevoices

Hopefully they fix the concept else it will be dead in the water as far as I'm concerned. At a minimum they need to give miles/points to the same level as if you paid for the business fare outright.
I had similar experiences last month. HKG-SIN-HKG on economy ticket (forgot fare classes but it wasn't the cheapest). Suggested bids were HK$3000 for an one way upgrade.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:15 pm

I am doing HKG->SIN->HKG this weekend and was asked to do a upgrade bid.

HKG-> SIN, EY-> J minimum bid is $4,500 +$70....all the way to $9,000
SIN-> HKG, EY->PEY Minimum bid is $1,200...all the way to $3,000

At this rate, automatic upgrade will be a thing of the past.

(Audio)
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:32 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Audio
I am doing HKG->SIN->HKG this weekend and was asked to do a upgrade bid.

HKG-> SIN, EY-> J minimum bid is $4,500 +$70....all the way to $9,000
SIN-> HKG, EY->PEY Minimum bid is $1,200...all the way to $3,000

At this rate, automatic upgrade will be a thing of the past.

(Audio)
But no one is going take up these offers at this pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.