Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Long Layover in HKG - Checking Carry-on to Connecting Flight

Long Layover in HKG - Checking Carry-on to Connecting Flight

Old Jul 11, 17, 5:40 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,247
Long Layover in HKG - Checking Carry-on to Connecting Flight

We'll be flying into HKG with carry-on luggage, but have a 16 hr (planned) layover to allow us to go into town, grab lunch etc.

Although we will already be checked in for the connecting flight, can we check our luggage either at the airport, or at the HK Airport Express station so we don't need to drag it along for the day?
teemuflyer is offline  
Old Jul 11, 17, 6:16 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 342
Check through

if your layover is under 24 hours they allow you to check it all the way to your final destination.

yes, 16 hours is enough to go sightsee. The train is fast and easy. Technically so is the bus (and cheaper!) but longer.
chitink is offline  
Old Jul 11, 17, 7:46 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Posts: 469
Is there a reason you want to take the bags on the flight to hong kong as carry-ons? If you're not overnighting I would just check it to your final destination as chitink suggested.

But if you want to check it in HKG before you go into town, I think they will let you do that. I have "added" checked bags on a long HKG layover before.
FormerAmtrakTraveler is offline  
Old Jul 11, 17, 8:22 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: ONT, LAX
Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Posts: 4,523
There is (or used to be) a luggage storage place at HKG at the far left of the bag reclaim area, standing as if you have come off the train platform.

Doesn't the train offer a same day return ticket for something HK $10 more than a one-way?
1kBill is offline  
Old Jul 11, 17, 8:43 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,247
Originally Posted by FormerAmtrakTraveler View Post
Is there a reason you want to take the bags on the flight to hong kong as carry-ons? If you're not overnighting I would just check it to your final destination as chitink suggested.

But if you want to check it in HKG before you go into town, I think they will let you do that. I have "added" checked bags on a long HKG layover before.
Had to book a separate domestic (US) ticket to get to LAX for my flight to HKG and connecting to SIN. Since AA won't check luggage through for 2 separate PNRs, I would have check my bags in LAX if I wanted to check them in to HKG and beyond, which in turn would require going landside, and then through security again, which can be a PITA.
teemuflyer is offline  
Old Jul 11, 17, 12:06 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Posts: 469
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
Had to book a separate domestic (US) ticket to get to LAX for my flight to HKG and connecting to SIN. Since AA won't check luggage through for 2 separate PNRs, I would have check my bags in LAX if I wanted to check them in to HKG and beyond, which in turn would require going landside, and then through security again, which can be a PITA.
Got it - I think you should be able to check the bag in HKG for the flight to SIN before heading into city. It's not a problem that you are already checked in for the connecting flight... just give them your boarding pass.
FormerAmtrakTraveler is offline  
Old Jul 11, 17, 3:17 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: CX Gold
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
There is (or used to be) a luggage storage place at HKG at the far left of the bag reclaim area, standing as if you have come off the train platform.

Doesn't the train offer a same day return ticket for something HK $10 more than a one-way?
The luggage storage is still around. https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...t-baggage.html
somemale is offline  
Old Jul 11, 17, 7:54 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SIN
Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Posts: 2,041
Originally Posted by somemale View Post
The luggage storage is still around. https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...t-baggage.html
And the same day return fare for the airport express is the same as for a one-way
http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/tf_index.html
jagmeets is offline  
Old Jul 12, 17, 1:34 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stuck on this planet - mainly in STR and LAX
Posts: 4,629
Easiest most likely is to take the luggage on the Airport Express train (RT ticket either before you board or at the arrival station), then check your luggage either at Kowloon Station or in Central (you need the return part of the train ticket to do that) and then enjoy Hong Kong.
Unterwegs is offline  
Old Jul 12, 17, 4:04 pm
  #10  
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Posts: 8,169
You can check your bags at HKIA before heading to town, or buy a RT Airport Express ticket and check in when you arrive at the Hong Kong Station or Kowloon Station, so you need not carry with you while touring the City.
cxfan1960 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 17, 5:56 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,247
Thanks everyone!
teemuflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: