Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Long Layover in HKG - Checking Carry-on to Connecting Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

We'll be flying into HKG with carry-on luggage, but have a 16 hr (planned) layover to allow us to go into town, grab lunch etc.

Although we will already be checked in for the connecting flight, can we check our luggage either at the airport, or at the HK Airport Express station so we don't need to drag it along for the day?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Check through

if your layover is under 24 hours they allow you to check it all the way to your final destination.

yes, 16 hours is enough to go sightsee. The train is fast and easy. Technically so is the bus (and cheaper!) but longer.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Is there a reason you want to take the bags on the flight to hong kong as carry-ons? If you're not overnighting I would just check it to your final destination as chitink suggested.

But if you want to check it in HKG before you go into town, I think they will let you do that. I have "added" checked bags on a long HKG layover before.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
There is (or used to be) a luggage storage place at HKG at the far left of the bag reclaim area, standing as if you have come off the train platform.

Doesn't the train offer a same day return ticket for something HK $10 more than a one-way?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FormerAmtrakTraveler
Is there a reason you want to take the bags on the flight to hong kong as carry-ons? If you're not overnighting I would just check it to your final destination as chitink suggested.

But if you want to check it in HKG before you go into town, I think they will let you do that. I have "added" checked bags on a long HKG layover before.
Had to book a separate domestic (US) ticket to get to LAX for my flight to HKG and connecting to SIN. Since AA won't check luggage through for 2 separate PNRs, I would have check my bags in LAX if I wanted to check them in to HKG and beyond, which in turn would require going landside, and then through security again, which can be a PITA.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Had to book a separate domestic (US) ticket to get to LAX for my flight to HKG and connecting to SIN. Since AA won't check luggage through for 2 separate PNRs, I would have check my bags in LAX if I wanted to check them in to HKG and beyond, which in turn would require going landside, and then through security again, which can be a PITA.
Got it - I think you should be able to check the bag in HKG for the flight to SIN before heading into city. It's not a problem that you are already checked in for the connecting flight... just give them your boarding pass.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
Originally Posted by 1kBill
There is (or used to be) a luggage storage place at HKG at the far left of the bag reclaim area, standing as if you have come off the train platform.

Doesn't the train offer a same day return ticket for something HK $10 more than a one-way?
The luggage storage is still around. https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...t-baggage.html
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by somemale
The luggage storage is still around. https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...t-baggage.html
And the same day return fare for the airport express is the same as for a one-way
http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/tf_index.html
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:34 am

Easiest most likely is to take the luggage on the Airport Express train (RT ticket either before you board or at the arrival station), then check your luggage either at Kowloon Station or in Central (you need the return part of the train ticket to do that) and then enjoy Hong Kong.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
You can check your bags at HKIA before heading to town, or buy a RT Airport Express ticket and check in when you arrive at the Hong Kong Station or Kowloon Station, so you need not carry with you while touring the City.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.