Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

24 May HKG expect delays: MU765 drift off runway at HKIA, delays expected

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 10:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

China Eastern plane try land at HKIA during black rainstorm.

Last edited by sxc; May 23, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Ground accident at HKIA?

Few moments ago the HKIA app on my phone displayed the following announcement:

"Due to Aircraft Ground Incident, only the South Runway of the Hong Kong International Airport is currently operating. Flight movements are expected to be disrupted. Passengers are advised to contact their airlines, check with the HKIA website or the flight information display screens for the latest flight information. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

i looked at SCMP, but no indication whatsoever. It may be also a tad sensational, but it suggests something serious. Does anyone have better info?
( i know the topic is not strictly related to CX and thus may be not be in its right place, but i count on the many posters well acquinted with HKIA to get info)
Old May 23, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
https://traveldatadaily.com/images/1...71968cf49f.jpg
Old May 23, 2017, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Three more pics in this report: http://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/componen...9-20170524.htm

Doesn't look like a big deal. I guess it's already been towed away now, although the thunderstorms rolling around may be hampering operations on the field.

Last edited by christep; May 23, 2017 at 10:36 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 10:33 pm

China eastern on the grass after landing. Another thread has a photo
Old May 23, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hea...-while-landing
Old May 23, 2017, 11:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
incident cleared; only the typical thunderstorm delays remain after backlog propagates off.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: CX Gold
How did the passengers disembark the plane in situations like this? Will they have to wait for the plane to be towed to the gate and disembark normally?
Old May 23, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
It's now at the gate. By the looks it went around once then came back for landing in the opposite direction, then skidded. Glad to see this is really a non event.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
yea both runways are operating again, but delays are running between 1-3 hours presently due to the situation of black rainstorm + closed north runway for an hour.

morning flights were affected the worst (3+ hour delays), operations seem to be improving incrementally (present flights departing 60-120 minutes late and improving)
Old May 23, 2017, 11:51 pm

CX855 (35G, YVR-HKG) just landed in Shenzhen as a result

That sucks
Old May 24, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by QRC3288
That sucks
So what's next?
Old May 24, 2017, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
So what's next?
[editing later]: Not bad, they're flying to HKG now. Don't know if a replacement crew was there or the existing crew could still go, but it's airborne and will likely land in HKG only 2+ hours late.

haha i'm not sure, a friend in ops at CX just told me B-LRE is definitely on the ground on Shenzhen. Not sure what they're planning on doing, just glad I wasn't on that flight! Definitely a nice little headache at the end of a trip.

I'm sure the crew are timed out. But for sure that diversion wasn't planned, because the MU plane skidding off and closing down the main arrival runway at HKIA wasn't planned either. Oops. Don't think a replacement crew will be there waiting to fly everyone over the bay in a hurry. So....I dunno. Fun to read about, not experience

Last edited by QRC3288; May 24, 2017 at 1:33 am Reason: flying back to hkg
Old May 24, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by QRC3288
[editing later]: Not bad, they're flying to HKG now. Don't know if a replacement crew was there or the existing crew could still go, but it's airborne and will likely land in HKG only 2+ hours late.

haha i'm not sure, a friend in ops at CX just told me B-LRE is definitely on the ground on Shenzhen. Not sure what they're planning on doing, just glad I wasn't on that flight! Definitely a nice little headache at the end of a trip.

I'm sure the crew are timed out. But for sure that diversion wasn't planned, because the MU plane skidding off and closing down the main arrival runway at HKIA wasn't planned either. Oops. Don't think a replacement crew will be there waiting to fly everyone over the bay in a hurry. So....I dunno. Fun to read about, not experience

Maybe replacement crew were ferried over to SZX.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Looks like rolling delays coming in, tonight's 749 and 251 already proactively delayed.

Most tight-turn flights ex-US today (i.e. departed today in HK) also delayed like SFO LAX ORD etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.