Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to request seat upgrade during flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to request seat upgrade during flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by boybi
I wasn't expecting opups to happen all the time. That particular post was in reply to kb9522.
The question you posed at the start of the tread asks if it is possible to upgrade yourself to PEY from Y. I've learned in my years flying with CX, that its easier not to expect any upgrades not unless I pay for it in cash or miles.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Before takeoff, you can pay to upgrade by paying the full fare difference. I don't believe the duty free credit card machines have the capability to handle upfares so you still need to be on the ground with doors open. I've never actually seen one processed although on a few occasions I've seen FAs loudly explaining it as an "option" to self-upgraders during the boarding process. Nobody accepted and they went back to their original seats.

Once doors close that's it. And no, getting bumped up to an open seat isn't a perk of MPC, but I like the creativity!
Old May 18, 2017, 8:00 pm

Let's not crucify the OP just yet. At least he has the courtesy to ask! I've seen many people just walk from Y to an empty J seat and plop down.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by CX HK
Let's not crucify the OP just yet. At least he has the courtesy to ask! I've seen many people just walk from Y to an empty J seat and plop down.
yea totally, I think the OP's question is quite innocent. And a bit refreshing. Just a simple question. Unfortunately for him/her, that's just not how CX does things.

The only chance you have once the plane gets underway is if you know the ISM or captain. At which case, I've been "upgraded" this way before. This isn't part of CX operating procedure but I don't think there's any way the company can find out or really will care.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
The only chance you have once the plane gets underway is if you know the ISM or captain. At which case, I've been "upgraded" this way before. This isn't part of CX operating procedure but I don't think there's any way the company can find out or really will care.
Taking the Fifth on this one....hahahahaha
Old May 18, 2017, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Years ago, while flying on PR, I have asked the FA if I can move to a seat with better legroom, I was told that I have to pay a fee for that. Maybe some airlines allow paid upgrades inflight?
Old May 18, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Years ago, while flying on PR, I have asked the FA if I can move to a seat with better legroom, I was told that I have to pay a fee for that. Maybe some airlines allow paid upgrades inflight?
I heard of that but before the equipment was in motion.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
yea totally, I think the OP's question is quite innocent. And a bit refreshing. Just a simple question. Unfortunately for him/her, that's just not how CX does things.

I think the captain has the authority.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:24 am

Yes I believe Philippine carriers allow you to change to exit rows or bulkhead seats during boarding for a fee. This however does not apply to upgrades, I think you need the ground staff to sort it out by changing your ticket and paying the fare difference.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Before takeoff, you can pay to upgrade by paying the full fare difference. I don't believe the duty free credit card machines have the capability to handle upfares so you still need to be on the ground with doors open. I've never actually seen one processed although on a few occasions I've seen FAs loudly explaining it as an "option" to self-upgraders during the boarding process. Nobody accepted and they went back to their original seats.

Once doors close that's it. And no, getting bumped up to an open seat isn't a perk of MPC, but I like the creativity!
Actually I saw once on a KA flight PEK-HKG (transiting to AUS)

A father and son was in J, door closed, suddenly the father discovered that there's F on this flight (probably because no F to AUS so their entire itin was in J) and asked can they take it. Crew checked and then quoted them a fare, the father gave them the credit card, then both moved to F before takeoff...
Old May 19, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Yes I believe Philippine carriers allow you to change to exit rows or bulkhead seats during boarding for a fee. This however does not apply to upgrades, I think you need the ground staff to sort it out by changing your ticket and paying the fare difference.
I flew PR a few times last month and they actuality said during the boarding announcements that (already seated) Y pax could pay to upgrade to PE.

Perfectly reasonable question from OP.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Op wasnt expecting it for free so i think its doable, depending on when
Old May 19, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I flew PR a few times last month and they actuality said during the boarding announcements that (already seated) Y pax could pay to upgrade to PE.

Perfectly reasonable question from OP.
I haven't flown PR in years, but I recall the announcement on PR goes something like "there are choice seats available on these flight for an additional cost. If you wish to reseat in any of these seats kindly inform a member of the cabin crew." Of course at that time they haven't introduced PEY on the flights I used to fly so I might be wrong.

I think OP was expecting it as a perk on CX.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I wish airlines did have an easy option to purchase an upgrade on-board, i.e. via credit card, (maybe up to the point before the first meal) since I don't see the harm in allowing people to pay for upgrades especially if the price is the fare difference.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Of course, a bit off topic, but I wish CX would offer this.

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I haven't flown PR in years, but I recall the announcement on PR goes something like "there are choice seats available on these flight for an additional cost. If you wish to reseat in any of these seats kindly inform a member of the cabin crew." Of course at that time they haven't introduced PEY on the flights I used to fly so I might be wrong.

I think OP was expecting it as a perk on CX.
Quite an impressive memory... I think that was it verbatim! It was my first flight on PR, so I asked the attendant. I was flying J, and asked if people could upgrade to J. She said NO, they could upgrade to PEY. Perhaps they could also upgrade to Exit, bulkhead, etc.

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I wish airlines did have an easy option to purchase an upgrade on-board, i.e. via credit card, (maybe up to the point before the first meal) since I don't see the harm in allowing people to pay for upgrades especially if the price is the fare difference.
Again, with PR last month, on a different flight, I upgraded at the gate to PEY. Interestingly, they made me sign an acknowledgement that I would not be getting the PEY meal, as it needed to be order 24 hours in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.