Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay v JAL on 4h30 Flight

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Danusa86
No arrivals lounge if I take JL on TYO-HKG?

My idea as of now would be: CX on the HKG-TYO and JL on the TYO-HKG
thats prob the best choice. But Cx food is stil good as ****
JL timings are pretty crap for most people anyways.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:17 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
I hadn't realised JL introduced PEY before CX. Perhaps because when flying JL up to Tokyo it was JL736 on a 767 and looking for PEY fares on to the US as there was no PEY on that flight a PEY itinerary never came up. I just looked up today and see it has gone to a 788, which is definitely nice in Y and PEY, and the business class looks very good.

Perhaps it is me! But I have found it a nightmare trying to sort out on several occasions (AA codeshare on JL flight), and even talking to the reservations to try and sort out I have found AA trying to be helpful but not achieving anything while talking to JL they have not be helpful at all, and the last time downright misleading. If anyone knows how to overcome this, I will be eternally (well almost) grateful.

Unfortunately for me it is business. Now though I try and fly into another centre in Japan and have a couple days there and then go from there on to Tokyo on business, or visa-versa. Last time I went to Miyajima. Even in the wet it was beautiful.

Though I prefer to take morning flights up to Tokyo in order to have time for a good evening dinner, and return on the Saturday morning on the CX flight from Haneda so can have a drink and meal with clients on the Friday evening.
It's only on HND-HKG JL026/029 not but NRT-HKG JL736/735. The stupid thing is JL only offers premium Economy on ex-HKG to Japan but not to long-haul destinations. But you can buy an ex-US premium economy ticket all the way to HKG

Your problem was because you were on codeshare. You need to deal with AA not the operating carrier until check-in. OP was looking for award redemption so flight will be JL coded and there won't be problems.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Danusa86
Thank you all.

It looks like it might be CX on the way to Tokyo (afternoon is better for me), but on the way back I'm definitely considering JL, based on your replies.

The thing is - I need to be in Japan on August 21st for a big sports event, until the 27th. Flights to Japan from Europe that time of the year are incredibly expensive (we're talking €900 for an economy class ticket!) so I'm seriously considering taking the QR business class offer to Thailand for the same price. From Thailand I'd then stop for a meeting in HKG and fly from there.

Crazy, I know. But I'd rather spend those 900 for QR J to Thailand than AB economy to Japan I believe many would do the same haha
900 Euros is isn't that expensive.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
900 Euros is isn't that expensive.
For a Korean Air economy class ticket Milan to Tokyo, I count that as expensive

For QR J not at all
Old May 15, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Am I missing something here? I had always assumed the 787 on the NRT-HKG route being regionally configured, which has angled flat seats, no PEY and the last generation EY seats. A recent change?
Old May 15, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by shd9
Am I missing something here? I had always assumed the 787 on the NRT-HKG route being regionally configured, which has angled flat seats, no PEY and the last generation EY seats. A recent change?
No change at all. Still angle flat. It's HND-HKG the one with premium economy on JL.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
This may have been buried in this thread somewhere, but I'd fly out of Haneda and if one of those carriers flies out of HND, then fly that carrier. NRT is expensive to get to and if cost is a factor, then flying out of HND may be preferable.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Assuming OP is a foreigner my guess is that CX IFE will appeal to them greatly over what JL has on offer. Also, while I haven't tried it, I remember some FTers reporting the JL Sky suite 2 offered on the HND-HKG route being not as spacious as CX cirrus. Don't forget mini cabin on the 77W which will make a great ride.
JL use Skysuite 3 on the HND-HKG route, which is the same Cirrus seat CX use.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by 1010101
Well its the same cabin if its the flatbed JL26 you're comparing against. Otherwise I prefer the Cirrus seat to Sky Suite 1 & 2 or any of the regional seats.
Have you flown to all of the seats you mentioned?

JL use Skysuite 3 on the HND-HKG route, which is the same Cirrus seat CX use.
Judging by this, you haven't actually tried at least one of the seats you mentioned previously. They are not the same seat. SKY SUITE III is a newer generation of the Cirrus seat which uses 3D layout. Never a fan of the Cirrus seat, and the 3D layout makes it even worse. It's an inferior product only good enough for JL regional flights.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:00 pm

Have you flown to all of the seats you mentioned?

Judging by this, you haven't actually tried at least one of the seats you mentioned previously. They are not the same seat. SKY SUITE III is a newer generation of the Cirrus seat which uses 3D layout. Never a fan of the Cirrus seat, and the 3D layout makes it even worse. It's an inferior product only good enough for JL regional flights.
Yes I have. I fly HKG-TYO 1-2 times per month.

Cirrus is Cirrus. All airlines have their own version of it, some have multiple versions in the same airline (CX has 3), but the basic seat and layout are the same. You may not like Cirrus but its pretty much the market standard for long haul business now.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never a fan of the Cirrus seat
Hmm, you kind of lost me right there.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:28 pm

Yes I have. I fly HKG-TYO 1-2 times per month.

Cirrus is Cirrus. All airlines have their own version of it, some have multiple versions in the same airline (CX has 3), but the basic seat and layout are the same. You may not like Cirrus but its pretty much the market standard for long haul business now.
The layout on JL is not the same, it has a 3D layout. If you can't notice the difference, then it's good for you. But for others who pay attention to details, we can tell the downgrade caused by the change in layout.

Last edited by JALPak; May 15, 2017 at 10:34 pm
Old May 15, 2017, 10:36 pm

The layout on JL is not the same, it has a 3D layout.
All that means is one of the centre pair is slightly lower to the floor than the other, and the footwell is slightly more cramped. It's the same seat.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmm, you kind of lost me right there.
in short, he told you not to fly what he doesnt like.

actually the cirrus seat makes me feel sick.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
in short, he told you not to fly what he doesnt like.

actually the cirrus seat makes me feel sick.
I don't think he's lost in what I am trying to say.

But if you want to fly the cirrus seat and seat is the only factor, by all means choose CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.