Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay v JAL on 4h30 Flight

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the Cirrus seat. It's a great business class seat. 10-15 years ago it would have been a pretty good first class seat too.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions, it just means that I can't value the opinion of someone who dislikes something I love. It's nothing personal. Happy to rely on factual information, of course!
Old May 16, 2017, 1:16 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka
actually the cirrus seat makes me feel sick.
I was physically hurt and had bruises in my elbow and knee after flying the SKY SUITE III to HND.

Also never understand why people would be able to sleep on long-haul flights with that restricted foot well. Do they all bend their knee and sleep on their side? And I am more use to having 2-3 windows in business class. Having only 1 window with Cirrus seat is a downgrade (but an upgrade if you compare to the coffin seat). Cirrus seat gives you enhance privacy but what you give up is personal space. No I am even not talking about just the bed width or length. Everything just feel so tight in that seat, even in the upright position.

If all things equal, I would rather take the angle flat bed on the HKG-TYO route. I don't need a flat bed on a 4 hour flight.

Last edited by JALPak; May 16, 2017 at 1:21 pm
Old May 16, 2017, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
I was physically hurt and had bruises in my elbow and knee after flying the SKY SUITE III to HND.

Also never understand why people would be able to sleep on long-haul flights with that restricted foot well. Do they all bend their knee and sleep on their side? And I am more use to having 2-3 windows in business class. Having only 1 window with Cirrus seat is a downgrade (but an upgrade if you compare to the coffin seat). Cirrus seat gives you enhance privacy but what you give up is personal space. No I am even not talking about just the bed width or length. Everything just feel so tight in that seat, even in the upright position.

If all things equal, I would rather take the angle flat bed on the HKG-TYO route. I don't need a flat bed on a 4 hour flight.
you can take pe on hkghnd
Old May 16, 2017, 3:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

The CX Cirrus seat does not have restricted foot wells - meaning theres no actual 'hole' that one needs to stick their feet in, it's largely open. Most suites have 2 windows some up to 2.5. Disclaimer, I have never flown the JL SKY SUITE III version however.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
The CX Cirrus seat does not have restricted foot wells - meaning theres no actual 'hole' that one needs to stick their feet in, it's largely open. Most suites have 2 windows some up to 2.5. Disclaimer, I have never flown the JL SKY SUITE III version however.
Here's the restricted foot well I was referring to

http://adventuresallaround.com/wp-co...ic-750x482.jpg

Sure it's 2-2.5 if you don't use the IFE screen and count the one blocks by side storage

SKY SUITE III is even worse in case for the "foot well" and window access. The IFE screen is at a fix position and it further reduces your foot space in bed mode and window view in seat mode.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC

Sure it's 2-2.5 if you don't use the IFE screen and count the one blocks by side storage

SKY SUITE III is even worse in case for the "foot well" and window access. The IFE screen is at a fix position and it further reduces your foot space in bed mode and window view in seat mode.
Have no problem with that seat and have flown on seats like that several times. Not sure about the validity of that complaint.

I would suggest flying 10 across on United before complaining about that. This isn't even FWP anymore!
Old May 16, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Have no problem with that seat and have flown on seats like that several times. Not sure about the validity of that complaint.

I would suggest flying 10 across on United before complaining about that. This isn't even FWP anymore!
I am sure you will love that seat if you are used to Y on United. But that's not the standard I am use to.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I am sure you will love that seat if you are used to Y on United. But that's not the standard I am use to.
Neither am I (don't recall the last time I flew Y). However, I'm not as pretentious...

I'm 6 foot 4, and I don't have an issue with that footwell. Maybe private aviation is more in line with what you're used to
Old May 16, 2017, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
The JAL version has less height but more width in the centre seat footwells. The rest are the same. I'm 6'2 and can almost lift my feet up straight legged without hitting anything.

It also has the same 2 windows every other Cirrus seat has. I'm beginning to wonder if JALPak has actually flown any of these him/herself...
Old May 16, 2017, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by 1010101
The JAL version has less height but more width in the centre seat footwells. The rest are the same. I'm 6'2 and can almost lift my feet up straight legged without hitting anything.

It also has the same 2 windows every other Cirrus seat has. I'm beginning to wonder if JALPak has actually flown any of these him/herself...
Sure, if you want to call this 2 windows. It's not only my seat that has this problem. You sure you've been on the JL flight with SKY SUITE III?
Attached Images  
Old May 16, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the things that is KEY for the seat, for me, is all the storage space on the shelf next to the window. It's also why I like the Thompson Vantage seats a lot (I think JL uses them as SkySuite II?).

The main reason why I hate BA J so much is that there's nowhere to put anything, unless you have a 744 upper deck window seat with the side bin. From all the pics I've seen of the SkySuite I (the 2-3-2 on 77W) it looks like an issue there too, but probably not as bad as on BA.

I'm not tall and I don't have big feet (e.g., see my comments about the Thompson Vantage, lol), and this certainly wasn't an issue for me on AA's two versions of the Cirrus (77W and A321 transcon F). My much taller partner didn't complain much either, but we'll see what he says about the JL SSIII.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:27 am

Sure, if you want to call this 2 windows. It's not only my seat that has this problem. You sure you've been on the JL flight with SKY SUITE III?
Looks like two windows to me. You lost one of them because you chose a bulkhead. Some CX seats have no windows, that doesn't mean every seat has no windows.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by 1010101
Looks like two windows to me. You lost one of them because you chose a bulkhead. Some CX seats have no windows, that doesn't mean every seat has no windows.
It's not the problem of bulkhead seat.

Looks like you are counting windows that are block from your view. I don't count those.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
One of the things that is KEY for the seat, for me, is all the storage space on the shelf next to the window. It's also why I like the Thompson Vantage seats a lot (I think JL uses them as SkySuite II?).

The main reason why I hate BA J so much is that there's nowhere to put anything, unless you have a 744 upper deck window seat with the side bin. From all the pics I've seen of the SkySuite I (the 2-3-2 on 77W) it looks like an issue there too, but probably not as bad as on BA.

I'm not tall and I don't have big feet (e.g., see my comments about the Thompson Vantage, lol), and this certainly wasn't an issue for me on AA's two versions of the Cirrus (77W and A321 transcon F). My much taller partner didn't complain much either, but we'll see what he says about the JL SSIII.
SKY SUITE II was used for a short period of time on NRT-HKG route.
Those seats has more storage than SKY SUITE III and the touch screen interface is the best among all JL IFE. But SKY SUITE II is even narrower although it has consistent bed length which is a plus.

I actually don't have storage problem with SKY SUITE, even when I am in the window seat. I got room for a camera, an iPhone, a 15" MBP, and my QC25 plus their case. Occasionally JL would deploy SKY SUITE on HND-HKG route and I would take that flight in a heartbeat.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Windows just add on to the heating problem, so windows on cx or jl is equally bad. Just,
bad
bad bad bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.