Missed award flight?

Old May 12, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH DMD, MR SL
Missed award flight?

Planning an itinerary with 95 mins connection time from TG flight to CX flight. I am trying to get on the CX BKK-HKG flight that leaves at 17:40, but what happens if we don't make it? Will CX allow us to re-book with no penalty on the 19:10 assuming there are seats available? Ultimately we are booked on HKG-JFK leaving at 0100. Will our onward flights be cancelled if we do not make the flight ex-BKK? Even if we get to CX check in before flight leaves BKK? This is an award ticket in J using AA miles.

Thanks
Old May 12, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ginterparkdj
Planning an itinerary with 95 mins connection time from TG flight to CX flight. I am trying to get on the CX BKK-HKG flight that leaves at 17:40, but what happens if we don't make it? Will CX allow us to re-book with no penalty on the 19:10 assuming there are seats available? Ultimately we are booked on HKG-JFK leaving at 0100. Will our onward flights be cancelled if we do not make the flight ex-BKK? Even if we get to CX check in before flight leaves BKK? This is an award ticket in J using AA miles.

Thanks
I am assuming this is not booked together. Aka, they are separate tickets.

If so, no.... CX has zero obligation to allow you to "re-book with no penalty". And yea, your onward flights will indeed be cancelled.

I don't know how it will work in practice, CX might help you and indeed rebook you, and help you out. But this is a risky maneuver and you don't have any margin of safety since they have no obligation. You miss that first flight, and they are 0% at fault. That's completely on you. The fact it's in J doesn't matter. And the fact you've booked with AA miles, vs CX's currency (or cash, which is ideal) hurts you if anything. It certainly doesn't help.

If somehow these are all booked together on one PNR (your TG + CX itineraries), then I *think* you can ignore my concerns above.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by QRC3288
If somehow these are all booked together on one PNR (your TG + CX itineraries), then I *think* you can ignore my concerns above.
TG is not an AA partner, so this isn't on the same itinerary.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Don't know about PLT but I think for AA EXP it doesn't matter if one no-shows. Agents can just reinstate the itinerary. (subject to availability, of course)
Old May 12, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Don't know about PLT but I think for AA EXP it doesn't matter if one no-shows. Agents can just reinstate the itinerary. (subject to availability, of course)
Sure, you would expect that CX staff at an airport can do that. You're still going to be at the mercy of airport staff and space available.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Well if OP can use Skype/whatever options to call AA...?

Yes, if that happens, CX staff will say 'this is 001 stock, I have no idea, go talk to AA'

I am not sure if PLT has the everything-fee-free luxury available to ExPlats tho.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Planning an itinerary with 95 mins connection time from TG flight to CX flight. I am trying to get on the CX BKK-HKG flight that leaves at 17:40, but what happens if we don't make it? Will CX allow us to re-book with no penalty on the 19:10 assuming there are seats available......This is an award ticket in J using AA miles.
CX has a lot of flights leaving from BKK to HKG----get on one of those. If you're flying Thai, which is not oneworld and not part of your AA Miles, book that a day early and stopover in Hong Kong to avoid unnecessary hassles from knowingly booking it that way. No brainer. Even Emirates flies F BKK-HKG one way for like a grand USD I believe (not sure).

Indeed, you can add the CX flight BKK-HKG to the J award at no cost which is what you're trying to do.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Yes, if that happens, CX staff will say 'this is 001 stock, I have no idea, go talk to AA'
My guess is if OP shows up out of breath at the gate (or at the CX checkin desks) and the plane's taxiing down the runway (or whatever) CX staff can fix it if they choose to. Won't be the first time someone's missed a CX plane in BKK on non-CX ticket stock, and operating airline controls the ticket on day of flight, no? Generally GAs at an airport have the power to handle things like that.

"Choose to" is going to be dependent on space availability and the interaction with the GA, of course.

Personally I think the OP is taking rather needless risks, but if they want to be sprinting through BKK dragging luggage instead of choosing a sane connection time between two tickets where luggage will be rechecked, more power to them, I guess.

Originally Posted by Spock Seat
CX has a lot of flights leaving from BKK to HKG----get on one of those. If you're flying Thai, which is not oneworld and not part of your AA Miles, book that a day early and stopover in Hong Kong to avoid unnecessary hassles from knowingly booking it that way. No brainer. Even Emirates flies F BKK-HKG one way for like a grand USD I believe (not sure).

Indeed, you can add the CX flight BKK-HKG to the J award at no cost which is what you're trying to do.
OP is inbound from KBV on TG and is already booked on CX BKK-HKG-JFK with a 95 minute connection in BKK. OP will need to collect luggage on the domestic side, recheck with CX for international segments, go through fast track immigration formalities, and get to gate in that time. It's possible (if tight) if the inbound TG flight is on time- D-I MCT is 75 minutes, but it's tighter than I'd like for an airport as huge as BKK, and on two tickets... a 30 minute delay probably means you miss CX checkin deadlines.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 12, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Old May 12, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat

Thanks
Would not risk it. Airline is under no obligation to re-book you for no-shows.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:06 pm

CX is under no obligation to do anything. Friend of mine have been in a similar situation a few month back. The CX response at the airport and also over the phone was: Talk to AA. AAs response: Sorry, no award space in the next few days.
They had to buy a ticket.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
There is no way I would do a 85 min connection time at bkk unless was hand baggage only , and even then I would think twice , honestly I would buy a new ticket on the first leg at an earlier time
Old May 12, 2017, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I would change the BKK-HKG flight to the 19:10 as the base case (even if AA will charge you a fee for doing that) and then if you do make it to the CX check-in in time for the earlier flight there's a reasonable chance they will let you on if there are seats available.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
I would change the BKK-HKG flight to the 19:10 as the base case (even if AA will charge you a fee for doing that) and then if you do make it to the CX check-in in time for the earlier flight there's a reasonable chance they will let you on if there are seats available.
There's no fee involved, but there might not be award availability...
Old May 12, 2017, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rooivalk
Would not risk it. Airline is under no obligation to re-book you for no-shows.
+1
I do separate tix frequently. I wouldn't do this one. Risk is too high that you lose the long haul flight due to a miss at BKK.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
WHENEVER I have tried to do anything at HKG with CX on AA stock, I have always been told sorry, can't touch it, you must deal with AA. Book a longer connection, just not worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.