Transfer in HKG on two tickets, possible?

Old May 12, 17, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Transfer in HKG on two tickets, possible?

So my plan is to fly into HKG on one carrier (not CX/KA) arriving at 10:50am. I want to connect on KA to RMQ (Taichung) that leaves at 12:10pm (so a layover of 80 minutes). I will not be checking any bags, just a carry-on.

Will I be able to get my ticket at the transfer desk so that I don't have to exit immigration? Also is that enough time to make my next flight?
Old May 12, 17, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Yes, you can either get your boarding pass at the transit desk or get a mobile one on your phone.
Old May 12, 17, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
If you have boarding pass, yes, definitely enough time. If you encounter a long line (I have before) at transit and can't get through security it could be a little tight.
Old May 13, 17, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
But if you already have your boarding pass, note that the transit security points away from the transfer desks tend to be much quieter (i.e. those near gates 29, 44 & 62).
Old May 13, 17, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
If they wouldnt thru tag ur bags in hold, go to a transit desk in HKG and tell them to retag it. If ure tightt in time, let them know.
Old May 13, 17, 9:30 am

You should have no problem if your inbound flight is on time. If your inbound flight is delayed, then you might have some problems, especially if you are flying on an award ticket not issued by CX. Personally, I would not risk an 80-minute connection using two different tickets.
Old May 13, 17, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by fallinasleep View Post
You should have no problem if your inbound flight is on time. If your inbound flight is delayed, then you might have some problems, especially if you are flying on an award ticket not issued by CX. Personally, I would not risk an 80-minute connection using two different tickets.
Award or not may not be an issue, but if not interlined, as you said, 80 minutes is very tight.
Old May 13, 17, 8:56 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Please do beware some KA regional flights leave from the 50x gates which requires an additional bus ride if you're arriving into the main terminal.
Eighty minutes is quite rushed; but sounds like you are eligible for the APDT refund. That's HK$ 120 but involves going through arrivals, collecting the tax at check-in (adjacent to EVA Air aisle), and heading into departures again. OP could claim it on your return journey though.
For details: http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/faq.html#tax
Finally, welcome to Taichung!

Last edited by jysim; May 13, 17 at 8:57 pm Reason: To add a link
Old May 13, 17, 9:51 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Yes, as the poster above states RMQ almost certainly will go from the 50X gate (satellite terminal). While HKIA has committed to building an awesome walking bridge.......it won't be done for 2 years . The bus for the satellite terminal departs near transit checkpoints E1/E2, which are the two largest transit points, although sometimes the line can be 10-15 minutes at certain times. As a side note one of two transit desk checkpoints are also at E1/E2, you'll need to visit a transit checkpoints if you need a boarding pass.

I think 80 minutes should be fine but you'll want to move without dawdling. The variable is transit security. If it's really bad it could be 20 minutes, although 5-10 is a more normal wait. And because RMQ is almost certain to use the 50X gate (satellite terminal).

Because RMQ is a KA narrowbody, and most likely A320, you'll probably be at the satellite terminal. This is where HKIA banishes most narrowbody aircraft, and all KA A320 flights depart/arrive from there or remote gates except in extraordinarily circumstances.

But the busses for the satellite concourse (50X) busses ONLY depart from one place, near checkpoints E1/E2 which is the east side of HKiA. So you gotta add another 10+ minutes to your transit if you arrive at an "unlucky" normal gate on the west side (high 30s, 40s, 60s, or 200s), all which will require either a longer walk, tram ride or combination. The WORST place to arrive for you is the satellite concourse itself, ironically. You can't transit here and must go by bus to the main terminal, do transit processing, and return. If you add here add 15-20 minutes if you arrive at the satellite terminal.

If you arrive at a remote gate yourself, not a big deal since the bus drops you off right where you need to be to catch the bus to the satellite terminal.
Old May 14, 17, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Some transit desks close 60 minutes prior to departure -- I got burned a few years ago when my plane landed late and I arrived at the transit desk about 55 minutes prior to departure on another airline. Since I couldn't get my boarding pass, I couldn't take the flight, and ended up having to purchase a new, last-minute, much more expensive flight.

If you can check-in online, do that, although for some airlines, they won't issue you a "proper" boarding pass (one that will get you through security) until you arrive in person.
Old May 15, 17, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Also keep in mind - since you are not transiting from a OW flight, you will be SOL if you miss the connecting flight.
Old May 15, 17, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post
Some transit desks close 60 minutes prior to departure -- I got burned a few years ago when my plane landed late and I arrived at the transit desk about 55 minutes prior to departure on another airline. Since I couldn't get my boarding pass, I couldn't take the flight, and ended up having to purchase a new, last-minute, much more expensive flight.

If you can check-in online, do that, although for some airlines, they won't issue you a "proper" boarding pass (one that will get you through security) until you arrive in person.
KA will issue a proper boarding pass online from HKG 48 hours prior to the flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: