When was YVR-SFO discontinued

Old May 4, 17, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Jetsmarter; Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
When was YVR-SFO discontinued

Was browsing some photos and just remembered the old CX flight from HKG to YVR which then continued onto SFO. Anyone know when this was discontinued?

After this fifth freedom was it when CX introduced the YVR to JFK flight or did they have both alongside each other back then?
Old May 5, 17, 1:40 am

Programs: MR Platinum
YVR-JFK started in 1996.

Believe SFO was terminated in early 1990s. This may have coincided with the launch of LAX in 1990. Any can confirm?

http://downloads.cathaypacific.com/c...er_flights.pdf

Launch date for SFO via YVR in 1993 is wrong. I recall picking up family at 6am from the HKG-YVR flight from 1989 to early 1990s which flew onwards to SFO before turning around and stopping in YVR on its way to HKG.
Old May 5, 17, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Jetsmarter; Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by CS300 View Post
YVR-JFK started in 1996.

Believe SFO was terminated in early 1990s. This may have coincided with the launch of LAX in 1990. Any can confirm?

http://downloads.cathaypacific.com/c...er_flights.pdf

Launch date for SFO via YVR in 1993 is wrong. I recall picking up family at 6am from the HKG-YVR flight from 1989 to early 1990s which flew onwards to SFO before turning around and stopping in YVR on its way to HKG.
That's the part that's very confusing for me and brought me to open this thread. When I was reminiscing, I remembered picking my aunt up in YVR and remembered her saying that it was a trip visiting a friend in SFO. I don't recall if she was coming from HKG or not but I clearly remember it was SFO and CX because of the blue priority tag and the reason of the trip.

The trouble I'm having is that this was in the 2000s for sure as I'm born in the late 1990s.

If YVR-JFK began in 1996, would CX have been able to operate two fifth freedom routes at the same time?
Old May 5, 17, 5:12 am

I have no idea that CX flew to SFO from YVR
Old May 5, 17, 8:42 am
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
That was a very long time ago. If my recollection was correct, CX never really intended to fly YVR-SFO. They had that only to keep their SFO slot so it wouldn't be taken away.
Old May 5, 17, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA5MM
I flew SFO-YVR-HKG r/t in 1985/1986. Everyone had to deplane at YVR into a small windowless holding room (not like CX888/889 today). If I recall correctly, it had to do with the a/c being a 747-200 which couldn't do the route non-stop. Route was discontinued towards the end of the 1980s/early 1990s when LAX started.
Old May 5, 17, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Guess this shows how old I am.... I took the RT flight from SFO to HKG in May of 1986 and Dec of 1986. No deplane is necessary in YVR at that time.
This route did not last long. It ended a few years later, exactly when? Sorry, can't recall.
Old May 8, 17, 4:31 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SPG Platinum; Marriott Platinum
This was the old CX800/CX801 service that flew from 1986-1990 3x/weekly with B747-200B. It departed YVR in the early morning for SFO and returned to HKG in the afternoon. This SFO tag was terminated when CX started HKG-LAX in 1990. SFO service was replaced by a one-stop connection using AA via LAX. I don't believe it was a code-share, probably an tickets/baggage interline agreement. IIRC, this LAX-SFO service was the earliest form of CX-AA partnership. SFO non-stop CX872/CX873 started on 01DEC98 with a daily service on A340-300.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: