Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

to KUL - CX or MH, is midfield terminal a deterrent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

All - flying HKGKUL, CX and MH have similarly timed departures. But it appears MH operates off the midfield terminal. If my plan is to visit the First Pier, how long should one permit to get to the midfield? Also, arriving at the midfield adds how much time to getting to immigration?

I'm asking on the CX board because the CX flight is more expensive (regional J), so I'm tempted to go with MH. But the lounge situation and distance might level the aggregate value proposition.

Many thanks - Jamie
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
It'll take around 10-15 minutes from Pier F to the midfield concourse, probably faster to get there than if your KUL CX flight departs at like gate 1/2. it would never be a deterrent for me in this case (and CX regional J is...yuck)

Assuming that the MH flight departs/arrive at a jetbridge and not outer bay at midfield concourse, it's only a marginal time difference. It may take some time to wait for bags, but that's been happening at HKG for the past few years no matter where the gate is anyway.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
It'll take around 10-15 minutes from Pier F to the midfield concourse, probably faster to get there than if your KUL CX flight departs at like gate 1/2. it would never be a deterrent for me in this case (and CX regional J is...yuck)

Assuming that the MH flight departs/arrive at a jetbridge and not outer bay at midfield concourse, it's only a marginal time difference. It may take some time to wait for bags, but that's been happening at HKG for the past few years no matter where the gate is anyway.
Thanks, I'll go with the savings, then. MH tends to operate off gate 202, so I should be able to get a nice breakfast in the F Pier. Doesn't sound like I give up much onboard product choosing an MH 738 over a KA 333 (Regional). No checked bags. Definitely appreciate the quick reply.

Be well - Jamie
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Thanks, I'll go with the savings, then. MH tends to operate off gate 202, so I should be able to get a nice breakfast in the F Pier. Doesn't sound like I give up much onboard product choosing an MH 738 over a KA 333 (Regional). No checked bags. Definitely appreciate the quick reply.

Be well - Jamie
A good choice. I would go for MH as well - better food on board and seat.

As for your concern, I agree with G-CIVC that it will take you only around 15-20 minutes from F Pier to gate 2xx so hopefully you can still grab a quick breakfast before your flight.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Was on MH73 two days ago, went out on gate 202. Had lunch at The Pier F. Was around 10-15 minutes transfer from Pier F to 202. And yes! Better and more substantial food than CX/KA on MH. Only thing the plane was old and IFE is so so
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
If timing works for you, try getting on MH73 which gets the A330 with the new J.

Originally Posted by db07mufan
Was on MH73 two days ago, went out on gate 202. Had lunch at The Pier F. Was around 10-15 minutes transfer from Pier F to 202. And yes! Better and more substantial food than CX/KA on MH. Only thing the plane was old and IFE is so so
Old?

MH72/73 is operated by the A330s, the oldest of which is 6 years old. All of them have been recently refitted with the new J.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
I'd definitely go for MH. I have flown 2x on MH now and will have another MH flight to KUL next week. If you're flying on MH72/73 (A330 flights) try get the seat 1A or 1K which have the most legroom. For a 3.5 hours flight, the MH new J seat offers much better comfort and catering than the KA regional J, and last but not least at a significant cheaper price. It's a no brainer!

As for midfield terminal, it's not that bad...like other said 10-15 mins max to the gate from Pier F.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
I'd definitely go for MH. I have flown 2x on MH now and will have another MH flight to KUL next week. If you're flying on MH72/73 (A330 flights) try get the seat 1A or 1K which have the most legroom. For a 3.5 hours flight, the MH new J seat offers much better comfort and catering than the KA regional J, and last but not least at a significant cheaper price. It's a no brainer!

As for midfield terminal, it's not that bad...like other said 10-15 mins max to the gate from Pier F.
I appreciate everyone's feedback. Unfortunately I have to get to KUL ASAP so first flight is around 0845 and is a 738. I assume F Pier opens around 0600 or so? I'm thing 0545 from Grand Hyatt.

Many thanks - Jamie
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I appreciate everyone's feedback. Unfortunately I have to get to KUL ASAP so first flight is around 0845 and is a 738. I assume F Pier opens around 0600 or so? I'm thing 0545 from Grand Hyatt.

Many thanks - Jamie
Pier F opens at 5:30.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:45 pm

A fast walk from Pier F to gate 202 will take you a round 20-30 minutes (20 minutes for walk to a bus stop near gate 211 something, 5-10 minutes transport to the midfield, depends on the timing you reach) and the APM from the immigration to the gate 60 starts from 6 a.m. It means you need to walk to there for 10-15 minutes, so I really advise you to go to Wing F if you don't want to walk much
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
I would take MH over CX but the IFE is not great...it needs a better selection of movies and tv shows...I have not flown CX recently so I can['t compare.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am a bit confused by some posts here.
If you fly MH, you could go to the Wing lounge, left after immigration (If you have OWE you can get to the F lounge which is very close). Then walk to the train and unload at the second stop (it just takes 2 min extra time than the first stop). Going to the Pier lounge means a long walk or train (faster), then taking the train again; it makes little sense to me.
The morning CX flight to KUL will soon be operated by KA. That could mean departure at KA island (500 gates), an unpleasant prospect.

The only small negative on MH 738 is indeed IFE.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by brunos
Going to the Pier lounge means a long walk or train (faster), then taking the train again; it makes little sense to me.
While it may not make sense to you, some people do have a preference for one lounge over another one.

The only small negative on MH 738 is indeed IFE.
How about safety?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by garykung
How about safety?
I've never felt less safe on MH than CX/KA.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by CX30616
A fast walk from Pier F to gate 202 will take you a round 20-30 minutes (20 minutes for walk to a bus stop near gate 211 something, 5-10 minutes transport to the midfield, depends on the timing you reach) and the APM from the immigration to the gate 60 starts from 6 a.m. It means you need to walk to there for 10-15 minutes, so I really advise you to go to Wing F if you don't want to walk much
I am a bit confused by some posts here.
The first quoted post above is not accurate. There is no need to take a bus to midfield. This poster probably confused midfield with NSC (North satellite concourse). Pier F is no 'further' from midfield than going to Wing F.

But IF the MH flight (given it's a 737?) does operate from NSC, then I would not advise going to the Pier since it takes around 45+ minutes to get to NSC from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.