Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Point of being MPC GO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by freakinflyer001
And slightly OT, can anyone confirm if they would upgrade their elite MPC/OW members even if they're on an award/upgrade ticket?
I was once upgraded from Y to J when I was on an award Y ticket. And it was a 77W as well. :-:
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by freakinflyer001
And slightly OT, can anyone confirm if they would upgrade their elite MPC/OW members even if they're on an award/upgrade ticket?

Curious to hear about your experiences!
Yes, they do. And it's the main reason I renewed GO for another year.

Many anecdotes over the past months, including

Y >> J on award ticket, regional
Y >> PEY >> J on award ticket, regional

and my favorite:

PEY (upgraded to J using miles) >> F (!!), longhaul
Old May 13, 2017, 10:55 am
SSY

Programs: CX Go
Originally Posted by garykung
Allow me to illustrate why it is not what you believe.

Using CX's SFO-HKG PEY E Class - $1879.17 as an example, it will earn 90 CP and 15210K AM with MPC/AM. On the other hand, it will earn 20739 EQM, $2765 EQD and 22122 RDM with AA. For the MPC GO, it will take 7 RT trips to re-qualify. However, for the AA PLT, it will only take 3 RT trips to re-qualify.

MPC does not really have any CX-specific benefits to GO only but not OWS. In that case, there is no value staying with MPC.

Beside - in this example, if that MPC GO really needs to take that 7 RT trips, that MPC GO would have been a AA EXP (OWE) with 4 systemwide upgrades and more RDM.

What's the point staying with MPC then?

Again - not as much as you think.

Short-haul elites will switch to HX if HX can suit their needs. Long-haul elites will switch to other compatible OW program as OWS if possible.

Otherwise, they will be forced to stay and get a credit card with lounge access.

Pretty new to this, but facing similar dilemma as previously used to qualify for GO via a few long haul PEY HKG-US and a fair volume of discounted short haul in Asia, but will likely not be maintained under the new system.

Recently been travelling more outside Asia though, and the lounge access via OWS has been beneficial, but that could be achieved via AA as noted above. However as this thread also notes, anecdotally GO status brings more upgrades - something I have also observed and value quite a bit as I fly short haul out of HKG frequently.

So if based on above math for OWS retention ease, and switch over to AA PLT from MP GO , does that mean I would not experience the same upgrade frequency on CX ex-HKG short hauls?

And if not, any other advice on how to maintain GO status other than much higher long haul flight frequency or flying full fare long haul on J?
Old May 13, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by SSY
So if based on above math for OWS retention ease, and switch over to AA PLT from MP GO , does that mean I would not experience the same upgrade frequency on CX ex-HKG short hauls?
You would have lower chance of op-ups, probably even below CX SL.

Originally Posted by SSY
And if not, any other advice on how to maintain GO status other than much higher long haul flight frequency or flying full fare long haul on J?
It is hopeless on US routes. I am based in SFO and gave up on retaining DM last year. I am now GO. I should be able to retain GO as I do fly J half the time and PEY upgraded to J the other half.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
You would have lower chance of op-ups, probably even below CX SL.
I dont think its worse than CXSL its just not a v high opup ladder to start with

It is hopeless on US routes. I am based in SFO and gave up on retaining DM last year. I am now GO. I should be able to retain GO as I do fly J half the time and PEY upgraded to J the other half.
hows ur opup rate there btw?
Old May 15, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by kaka
hows ur opup rate there btw?
My last op-up was when I was still a DM. I haven't scored a single op-up since I became GO, but flights were not full.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:34 am
Suspended

My last op-up was when I was still a DM. I haven't scored a single op-up since I became GO, but flights were not full.
Methinks being GO isnt good enough for LH opups of late. Maybe route dependant.... but as ows my gf was opuped once to lax to py...
Old May 16, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by SSY
Flying QR to Europe will net you 200+ points roundtrip in J and flying MH via KUL shorthaul J to other Asian destinations will net you 100 points roundtrip. Both are usually priced quite reasonably. QR flights are very comfortable, MH flights service is good but hard product lacking.

This is my method, anyway. I get around 300 points a year between these two trips and balance 300 I have to make up on CX flying PEY mainly. Each PEY trip to USA is worth 100 points RT so if I make 2 of those then I'm up to 500. Balance 100 points have to get a bit creative...

But it's worth it as I get op-up from PEY to J quite regularly on those USA flights as I usually travel at peak time when flights are full.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
As I've said other places....PEY seems to be the killer sweet spot for op-ups. If you're buying cash PEY fares, GO membership should be quite useful here. You have low #s of Diamond competitors in that cabin, and you're ahead of OWE. The fact there are fewer seats in PEY than J on all configs mean CX will often vastly oversell Y with the intention to overfill PEY, sometimes by a big number. Which Cascades to J.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JALPak
Not true. CX can suspend this benefit for operational reason.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...guarantee.html
Well come on, there's always fine print. "Operational Reason" could be defined to mean most anything but honestly have used this feature several times recently and never had a hint of an issue.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hkflyer2014
Well come on, there's always fine print. "Operational Reason" could be defined to mean most anything but honestly have used this feature several times recently and never had a hint of an issue.
barring from politicians blocking out the cabin, i dont think cx would pull it.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
As I've said other places....PEY seems to be the killer sweet spot for op-ups. If you're buying cash PEY fares, GO membership should be quite useful here. You have low #s of Diamond competitors in that cabin, and you're ahead of OWE. The fact there are fewer seats in PEY than J on all configs mean CX will often vastly oversell Y with the intention to overfill PEY, sometimes by a big number. Which Cascades to J.
That's true, and with fewer PEY/Y travellers able to qualify/maintain GO under new system, the number of DM/GO travelling in PEY just took a big hit. If one can maintain GO and pay PEY cash fares, full flight is almost recipe for guaranteed op-up.

For example, I'm travelling ORD-HKG in about a week, and when I see loads like:

F4 A4 J8 C8 D7 I7 W1 R0 E0 Y3 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
F5 A2 J7 C6 D2 I0 W1 R0 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
F4 A4 J9 C8 D7 I7 W3 R3 E2 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

on flights, to me that's more or less a 100% guarantee that I'll pay for PEY but I'll fly in J.

Actually on such flights (I've seen on previous trips from ORD-HKG), even GR and random AM members are getting upgrades at times...
Old May 17, 2017, 2:05 pm
SSY

Programs: CX Go
Originally Posted by midlevels
Flying QR to Europe will net you 200+ points roundtrip in J and flying MH via KUL shorthaul J to other Asian destinations will net you 100 points roundtrip. Both are usually priced quite reasonably. QR flights are very comfortable, MH flights service is good but hard product lacking.

This is my method, anyway. I get around 300 points a year between these two trips and balance 300 I have to make up on CX flying PEY mainly. Each PEY trip to USA is worth 100 points RT so if I make 2 of those then I'm up to 500. Balance 100 points have to get a bit creative...

But it's worth it as I get op-up from PEY to J quite regularly on those USA flights as I usually travel at peak time when flights are full.
thanks for those alternative oneworld suggestions for points - haven't really considered such alternatives before like MH shorthaul J - will look into that
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
One nice perk of being GO - they automatically blocked the seat next to me on OLCI on a 3-3-3 SIN-HKG flight on Y.

I just made GO last week and was wondering why my friend was unable to get the middle seat to sit next to me!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:04 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Alawyer
One nice perk of being GO - they automatically blocked the seat next to me on OLCI on a 3-3-3 SIN-HKG flight on Y.

I just made GO last week and was wondering why my friend was unable to get the middle seat to sit next to me!
I have seen this happen to me as well (seat auto blocked) but then when it comes to boarding there's often someone sitting there. Even when there are other empty seats, and the person in the middle isn't travelling with the person on the other side. Very annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.