Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What happen if I bought ticket separated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Now I have a reward ticket from LAX to HKG operated by CX by redeem my Asia miles point. I wanna add a segment that from HKG to CAN operated by Dragon air by redeem my BA award. I know they can check in my luggage to the final destination-CAN at LAX. What if the first flight is delay and I couldn't catch the second flight? Are they responsible for that or I need to take care of it by myself? Thank you!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
It will be no different from if it were through-ticketed.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by taiquanxx
Are they responsible for that or I need to take care of it by myself? Thank you!
While personally I would prefer other options to CAN rather than flying, CX should be able to rebook you to the next flight if the first is delayed.

However, given HKG-CAN limited schedule, I would simply drop the flying plan and take a cross-border bus instead.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:43 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ne-2016-a.html

(You are relying on IATA Resolution 735d Disruptions

Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Fully agreed.
KA (and only airline) has one flight at 8am and one at 8pm.
With a tight connection for the morning flight you will have to wait 12 hours for the next flight (if space availble).
Just ditch your cheap BA award (4,500 miles) and take a bus.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
It will be no different from if it were through-ticketed.
Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
While personally I would prefer other options to CAN rather than flying, CX should be able to rebook you to the next flight if the first is delayed.

However, given HKG-CAN limited schedule, I would simply drop the flying plan and take a cross-border bus instead.
Thanks for reply. I just wonder if CX will protect my second flight or not. If they do, they sometimes offer a minivan to take passagers to CAN instead of rebooking the flight.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ne-2016-a.html

(You are relying on IATA Resolution 735d Disruptions

Really helpful! Thank you!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Fully agreed.
KA (and only airline) has one flight at 8am and one at 8pm.
With a tight connection for the morning flight you will have to wait 12 hours for the next flight (if space availble).
Just ditch your cheap BA award (4,500 miles) and take a bus.
Thanks for reply. I just wonder if CX will protect my second flight or not. If they do, they sometimes offer a minivan to take passagers to CAN instead of rebooking the flight.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
CX will rebook you.

However, it is easier to get there by yourself, rather than waiting CX to do something. This is especially true when HKG has a dedicated area for cross-border buses.

Also - using miles for HKG-CAN will be definitely an example of bad use.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Don't know what you mean by protect the second flight, if like 50 people on your same flight then perhaps they will hold the plane for you. But if you mean will they leave you stranded at HKG, no they won't and they will rebook you to next flight and give you hotel and meal voucher. And yes this works no matter what airline issued your tickets, together or separately as long as it is CX/KA to CX/KA connection.

Also - using miles for HKG-CAN will be definitely an example of bad use.
OP is using Avios presumably and cost for HKG-CAN OW cash ticket would be high for sure. How is this a bad use of their miles? I actually think this is a very good use of it and i'm sure the cpm is probably high.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Why is this not a 2 separate ticket not protected scenario?

1st ticket is on CX AM redemption, the 2nd is a BA Avios redemption.

CX would be being rather generous if they were to protect OP.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
BA cost is a small 4,500 avios plus around HKD200.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
OP is using Avios presumably and cost for HKG-CAN OW cash ticket would be high for sure. How is this a bad use of their miles? I actually think this is a very good use of it and i'm sure the cpm is probably high.
It is a good use of miles as the cpm is indeed high.

The problem is the cost of alternative transportation.

Originally Posted by brunos
BA cost is a small 4,500 avios plus around HKD200.
Assuming this is for OW, the cost of a OW cross-border bus ticket is ~HKD$230. Why would anyone spend the miles when the alternative is cheaper and more convenience (but more hassle)?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
It is a good use of miles as the cpm is indeed high.

The problem is the cost of alternative transportation.

Assuming this is for OW, the cost of a OW cross-border bus ticket is ~HKD$230. Why would anyone spend the miles when the alternative is cheaper and more convenience (but more hassle)?
u are less likely to die due to china traffic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.