FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   New regional business class in 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1837398-new-regional-business-class-2019-a.html)

bart simpson Apr 18, 2017 12:56 am

New regional business class in 2019

Source: https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...ess-class-seat

- 32 new single-aisle jets (either A320neo or B737MAX) replacing the current Cathay Dragon A320s fleet from the end of 2019, exact manufacturer to be confirmed in 2017Q3
- new fleet to be fitted with new business class
- NO full-flat bed
- NO new regional business class for current A330/B777 fleet
- Refresh on current business class (new covers, cushions, etc.)

qsh Apr 18, 2017 1:41 am

Read the article this morning.
Very disappointed on "NO full-flat bed". The current seats are horrible for redeyes such as KTM or RGN.
CX is so lagging behind SQ and BR...
Even HX is going to install flatbed Diamond seats on all of their A330 regardless of regional or long haul.
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/0...and-expansion/

sscywong Apr 18, 2017 7:44 am

Sort of understand the rational... Since FB on 320 might either take up too many spaces or the seat will feel cramped....

As I pointed out some time last year, QR also managed to install 8 FB into their A320 fleet... Just the seat is quite tight and don't expect the same level of comfort as long haul FB product... Thus, to me at least, a better designed recliner seat might be better for the A320 than a tight FB or an inclined FB...

maortega15 Apr 18, 2017 8:07 am

Majority of the world's A320/B737 fleet are recliners in business anyway. The reason American and jetBlue get away with beds in business is because they do transcontinental flights especially redeye flights that can last between 4-6 hours.

With KA's current routes using the A320, there's nothing really better you can ask for on a 4 hour flight.

As for the twin aisle jets, you really need a bed even in regional business class. Majority of the carriers in the region are using beds. Even SQ has an upcoming product for their medium haul A350's. For the mean time, add a foot rest to the current regional business class seat and increase the pitch a bit.

brunos Apr 18, 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 28195406)
Majority of the world's A320/B737 fleet are recliners in business anyway. The reason American and jetBlue get away with beds in business is because they do transcontinental flights especially redeye flights that can last between 4-6 hours.

With KA's current routes using the A320, there's nothing really better you can ask for on a 4 hour flight.

As for the twin aisle jets, you really need a bed even in regional business class. Majority of the carriers in the region are using beds. Even SQ has an upcoming product for their medium haul A350's. For the mean time, add a foot rest to the current regional business class seat and increase the pitch a bit.

There is a huge number of options between a flat bed and the awful current (new) seat. Having a fixed shell for a Y or such regional J seat is a mistake (CX paid dearly to replace its longhaul Y seat). SQ has a great regional seat compared to CX.

Even on a 2 to 4 hours flight a more comfortable J seat is easy to install on A320 or 737.

SilverChris Apr 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 28195558)
SQ has a great regional seat compared to CX.

I think it's worth pointing out that SQ's definition of "regional" stretches the envelope quite a bit. For instance, many red-eyes to Australia are operated by the 333/772, which are quite dismal for 7 hour overnight flights. On flights of those lengths you won't find CX using the regional J (slash PY).

maortega15 Apr 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris (Post 28197027)
I think it's worth pointing out that SQ's definition of "regional" stretches the envelope quite a bit. For instance, many red-eyes to Australia are operated by the 333/772, which are quite dismal for 7 hour overnight flights. On flights of those lengths you won't find CX using the regional J (slash PY).

AFAIK, SQ's flights to the Middle East like DXB use the A330. The A330's and 772ER's will be replaced with the A350 with a medium haul configuration. From what I read, those might be in a staggered configuration but with beds.

CX's uses the Cirrus product to the Middle East, Australia and India.

QRC3288 Apr 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris (Post 28197027)

Interesting point I knew....But hadn't thought of until your post put it together.

I *hate* CX's regional J seat. But, I guess CX deserves kudos here:

*on CX medium haul routes you can know whether you're "entitled" to Cirrus. All Middle East, Australia, MLE, India, CMB, etc. Destinations where, years past CX sent regional fleets from time to time, and as SQ often does. Now you know: buy a CX J seat to these places, and get a flat bed guaranteed. And CX does not swap aircraft on these flights. The gaping hole for CX is the red-eyes to/from Japan, SIN, CGK and Japan. And I avoid these like the plague because a bed isn't guaranteed. But CX definitely deserves kudos for giving us a reliable J flat bed to those other places I mention. And it affects my purchasing decisions.

[adding later: I will be blunt. There is 0 chance I paid for an ex-India redeye if CX didn't guarantee a flat bed, or ex-CMB, or even ex-MLE, even though on holiday. I just am not a fan of redeyes without a bed. I would've booked a connection and scheduled meetings, or taken a day flight. At least for me, the flat bed medium-haul guarantee makes me give CX more business. whereas with regional flights, I don't mind not having a perfect bed. but the current CX regional seat is just bad all the way around]

sxc Apr 18, 2017 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 28198202)
*on CX medium haul routes you can know whether you're "entitled" to Cirrus. All Middle East, Australia, MLE, India, CMB, etc. Destinations where, years past CX sent regional fleets from time to time, and as SQ often does. Now you know: buy a CX J seat to these places, and get a flat bed guaranteed. And CX does not swap aircraft on these flights.

Except Perth - I think Regional Business class goes to Perth sometimes.

380Flyer Apr 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 28198247)

absolutely wrong!

QRC3288 Apr 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 28198247)

Nope, it never does. Guaranteed 33K.

Back in the day PER got a regional bird. And on bad occasions, SYD too and CX did this swap without remorse (this swap was happening in the 2007-2011 timeframe, as CX switched Australia to an all-A330 destination. And CX would send A330s that weren't configured with the coffin beds down there, which must've totally sucked). But this was more like 5-10 years ago. Certainly not recently!

Originally Posted by 380Flyer (Post 28198335)
absolutely wrong!

Your "absolutely wrong!" is absolutely correct;).

percysmith Apr 18, 2017 8:53 pm

We've just been on Qantas's domestic seat for SYD-AKL - I'll take that over CX's old/new regional J seat anyday

Explorer789 Apr 18, 2017 9:01 pm

I don't think lack of lie-flats are an issue for short hauls. CX tries to make sure their regional red-eye routes have them, otherwise reclining seats on daytime flights are perfectly fine for a short nap.

percysmith Apr 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789 (Post 28198439)
CX tries to make sure their regional red-eye routes have them.

Never had them for CX524, CX566 or CX412 (been on all of them).

Didn't get it on CX659 but I know you may get 359 on that route now.

1010101 Apr 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Good news i feel.

Lie flat is never going to be viable on genuine shorthaul routes, so them accepting they need to upgrade the current regional seat is a positive sign.

It all points towards a further separation between Cathay longhaul and Dragon regional. 32 new narrowbodies to replace 'up to' 23 A320s of which some are almost new. I think its almost inevitable KA will take over most of the CX regional network, leaving them to focus on long haul and trunk routes. It would be a welcome development imo.