New regional business class in 2019

Old May 16, 17, 2:00 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sscywong View Post
Sort of understand the rational... Since FB on 320 might either take up too many spaces or the seat will feel cramped....

As I pointed out some time last year, QR also managed to install 8 FB into their A320 fleet... Just the seat is quite tight and don't expect the same level of comfort as long haul FB product... Thus, to me at least, a better designed recliner seat might be better for the A320 than a tight FB or an inclined FB...

Respectfully disagree. Flew AA transcon F class which uses the Cirrus seat and it works just fine on an A321.

For the prices CX/KA charge for regional business flyers should expect a fully-flat bed.
Old May 16, 17, 2:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Gold, GE
Originally Posted by hkflyer2014 View Post
Respectfully disagree. Flew AA transcon F class which uses the Cirrus seat and it works just fine on an A321.

For the prices CX/KA charge for regional business flyers should expect a fully-flat bed.
But AA's A321 is skewedly premium (102 pax only) and if anything CX regional configs are going less and less premium. Still, I don't disagree with you at all that a flatbed configuration is 'doable'. In fact it's exactly the same plane that you mention but J class (which is the B/E Diamond product, also used by QR on their A320s/A330s/A340s and RJ(?), UA, CA,...etc). It's not the most comfy seat for a 16 hour flight but it will be wonderful to like Sapporo or Singapore. Very space saving config I think the pitch is like 50" or less and CX can fit the same number of seats across each row as they do now.
Old May 17, 17, 12:41 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Originally Posted by hkflyer2014 View Post
(Edited 14:53) You're paying CX/KA fares for the schedule. Not for comfort.

Last edited by percysmith; May 17, 17 at 1:53 am
Old May 17, 17, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post
But AA's A321 is skewedly premium (102 pax only) and if anything CX regional configs are going less and less premium. Still, I don't disagree with you at all that a flatbed configuration is 'doable'. In fact it's exactly the same plane that you mention but J class (which is the B/E Diamond product, also used by QR on their A320s/A330s/A340s and RJ(?), UA, CA,...etc). It's not the most comfy seat for a 16 hour flight but it will be wonderful to like Sapporo or Singapore. Very space saving config I think the pitch is like 50" or less and CX can fit the same number of seats across each row as they do now.
The (poor) B/E Diamond seat has been selected by airlines (e.g. QR) to replace their old angled lie-flat with 60" pitch, with exactly the same number of Diamond seats with a 60" pitch. For example, CX could have replaced their first-generation facing-forward angled longhaul seats (the one prior to the herringbone coffins), by fully-flat sideways Diamond seats. The Diamond (not the Super Diamond) are the worst flay seats I can think of especially the extremely narrow window seats. But that does not apply to the current CX regional seats. These have a mere 45" pitch and you need a minimum of 60".
Old May 17, 17, 9:10 am

QF's domestic business is only 37" pitch and 22" wide. Please sir, I want some more.
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:20 pm

Cathay Pacific: evolution, not revolution

The first half of 2020 will also see the debut of Cathay Pacific's Airbus A321neo – to be flown by its regional sibling Cathay Dragon – and a new regional business class seat.

However, the Oneworld member airline is not expected to radically depart from the same 'premium economy-like' design as its current regional business class, which began flying in January 2013 and borrowed some elements from an angled lie-flat or ‘sloping sleeper’ seat to weave them into the more conventional form of a recliner.

“I think it will be most likely reclinable because it is a narrow-body aircraft,” tips Vivian Lo, Cathay Pacific’s Head of Customer Experience & Design. “Basically we're still seeing the majority of the flights are below two hours, stretched to four and at most six" – flight durations which Lo suggests do not require the lie-flat luxury of a business class bed.

The A321neo fleet will see Cathay Dragon retire its ageing A320 jets, with both a larger passenger capacity to cater for popular destinations such as Beijing and Shanghai, and a longer range to extend the network's reach.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ur-way-in-2020
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Cathay Pacific: evolution, not revolution

The first half of 2020 will also see ... a new regional business class seat.

... the Oneworld member airline is not expected to radically depart from the same 'premium economy-like' design as its current regional business class...

Premium economy-like class is a good description for that crap seat.
rickywk and thomas164 like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction View Post
Inferior than Premium Economy in my view (YMMV)
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction View Post
It's really a crap seat. No matters you just want have a seat, enjoy the crap meal or take a nap, you cannot find a good position for it.
Old Jan 15, 20, 3:11 am

Programs: CX - DM; SQ - PPS, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by rickywk View Post
It's really a crap seat. No matters you just want have a seat, enjoy the crap meal or take a nap, you cannot find a good position for it.
I actively avoid the regional planes like plague whenever I fly within Asia! It is absolutely dreadful!
Old Jan 15, 20, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by rickywk View Post

I usually revert it to the take off position after 15 mins of fussing around with the 'recline' in a failed effort to find a comfy configuration (it seems I forget this lesson and have to re-learn it each flight). Quite a comment on the seat that it is less comfortable in the recline position...
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
"Reclineable" would be a great plus. With the fixed shell, the current awful seat does not recline but just slides a bit.
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:30 am

Iím sure most will be happy if they even implemented the old old j class. The shell sliding ones. Even with a reduced pitch it will be more comfortable
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert View Post
Iím sure most will be happy if they even implemented the old old j class. The shell sliding ones. Even with a reduced pitch it will be more comfortable
So old CX recliners for regional? Summer 2020 Regional Flights Using 333 or 773 only? (ignoring long haul products in regional of course)
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
So old CX recliners for regional? Summer 2020 Regional Flights Using 333 or 773 only? (ignoring long haul products in regional of course)
No those are not recliners but angled flat seats.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: