Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Evening Flights From DXB

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Evening Flights From DXB

There is the early evening flight and the late evening flight. I know they are both red-eyes but since one leaves much later are they still catered the same with a full dinner service and continental breakfast at landing? Also what lounges does CX use I assume the British Airways. I also see there is access to the Ahlan First Class lounge at DXB? I never heard of it but it looks amazing.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Please consult the menu threads where you will find your answer, but very quickly 746 has full dinner and continental breakfast, 738 has light dinner and full breakfast. Yikes, not one with two full meals. But the flights are short anywayand full meal or not CX catering sucks anyway.

CX uses the LH lounge at DXB afaik but you are welcome (and probably should!) use the QR or BA lounge. The contract one is meh. [shameless plug] Check out a review of the DXB QR lounge in my TR below
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:01 pm

The QR DXB lounge is not open to OW elites. It is for QR First and Business Class members and QR Privilege Club members. The LH lounge is pretty basic - I was there in Jan on CX flight. Tried to get into the F section as *A Gold but they wouldn't let me as ticket on CX (as expected).
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Please consult the menu threads where you will find your answer, but very quickly 746 has full dinner and continental breakfast, 738 has light dinner and full breakfast. Yikes, not one with two full meals. But the flights are short anywayand full meal or not CX catering sucks anyway.

CX uses the LH lounge at DXB afaik but you are welcome (and probably should!) use the QR or BA lounge. The contract one is meh. [shameless plug] Check out a review of the DXB QR lounge in my TR below
Great report! Also, I checked out both menus from the past few years and what I actually found interesting is both 746/738 are full dinners and had the same amount of courses the only difference is 746 had 4 entree options and 738 had 2. I would say 738 looks to be 2 full meals as they had entree choices for breakfast instead of continental.

In any event it looks like all flights will be expanding menus with the dine on demand service coming so its a bit of a mute point once Q4 starts and the new changes are in place.

Last edited by ASUDan130; Apr 15, 2017 at 8:20 pm
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by samuelo
The QR DXB lounge is not open to OW elites. It is for QR First and Business Class members and QR Privilege Club members. The LH lounge is pretty basic - I was there in Jan on CX flight. Tried to get into the F section as *A Gold but they wouldn't let me as ticket on CX (as expected).
As OP is flying in CX J, they will have access to the QR lounge.

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Great report! Also, I checked out both menus from the past few years and what I actually found interesting is both 746/738 are full dinners and had the same amount of courses the only difference is 746 had 4 entree options and 738 had 2. I would say 738 looks to be 2 full meals as they had entree choices for breakfast instead of continental.

In any event it looks like all flights will be expanding menus with the dine on demand service coming so its a bit of a mute point once Q4 starts and the new changes are in place.
As you see 738 has 2 entrees, it means that it is not a full meal ('savory dips' and 'seasonal berries' - means that its a supper service one-tray.) Best of luck with getting DoD, although I figure it won't end up happening...just my own guess
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
As OP is flying in CX J, they will have access to the QR lounge.

As you see 738 has 2 entrees, it means that it is not a full meal ('savory dips' and 'seasonal berries' - means that its a supper service one-tray.) Best of luck with getting DoD, although I figure it won't end up happening...just my own guess
According to this report CX 738 is a full 3 course dinner meal...with substantial mid flight snacks and full breakfast prior to landing.

http://travelsort.com/blog/cathay-pa...i-to-hong-kong
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
According to this report CX 738 is a full 3 course dinner meal...with substantial mid flight snacks and full breakfast prior to landing.

http://travelsort.com/blog/cathay-pa...i-to-hong-kong

From the menu (and the photos), this is a supper service instead of dinner. Everything is served in one single tray.

You can see from the photos that the starter (prawn salad) is placed in a small bowl instead of a full plate as one full course.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If I were the OP, I would focus less on food but rather whichever that works better in terms of timing. Honestly, CX food in J class is so poor even compared to US carriers, it would very rarely be something I would factor in the equation when it comes to choosing flights and stuff.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
The problem with DXB-HKG for me is the two meals. I had a flight where we literally had 2+ hours of dark time between the two J class services. I got just a few hours of sleep. The first service was sooooooo slow (this was the first flight, which leaves DXB early evening). To me sleeping was vital but I didn't appear to be in the majority....Folks in the cabin were merrily enjoying their (subpar) CX J meals, chatting, etc.

Compare this to a flight like MLE-HKG, which is just 60 minutes shorter flying time but only has one meal service in J class (supper on departure) and departs at midnight. I've slept almost 5 hours before ex-MLE which makes for a lovely end to things. Of course, I will add when I last flew from MLE last year, I saw a passenger berating a FA for the lack of breakfast...... So I guess it's hard for CX to win.

The best way to get from DXB-HKG is EK F, hands down. If you can pay for it (or figure out some way to do miles for it?), it is hands down a better option than CX. I haven't flown to DXB on CX in a few years, but I remember when I priced cash tickets before EK F wasn't too much more than CX J, maybe 1-2k USD more. I think it's worth it if the difference is still like that. My last trip from DXB I didn't even bother looking at CX prices I just booked EK, my last CX experience sleeping a few hours with bad food was not fun. Plus EK offers daytime flights so you don't have to deal with the short flight time. Just be careful one of them stops in BKK....EK has 3 nonstops daily to HKG and 1 additional "direct" flight that stops over in BKK. Probably avoid that one.

Last edited by QRC3288; Apr 17, 2017 at 2:15 am Reason: Updated to make it clear I was referring to J class
Old May 1, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
Can OWE on CX J ex DXB use the Ahlan First Class lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.