Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

what will happen to luggages left over night at cx lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

I understand that we would only allow to leave our luggage at CX lounges during the day, however what will happen if we didn't pick up the same day?

How much they would like to charge if I returned the next morning at the CX arrival lounge to get my stored luggage?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Not sure about arrival lounge, but at Pier J there is clear signage that says the stored bags must be cleared by the time the lounge closes (0030).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:17 am

i am curious too, lost and found? or they present them to you at the gate?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: CX
Seriously? You're well aware of Arrival's rules + you know you don't be back the same day. You're going to cheap out a few bucks at HKIA's Baggage Storage just to see how far you can push CX's limit?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nolounge
Seriously? You're well aware of Arrival's rules + you know you don't be back the same day. You're going to cheap out a few bucks at HKIA's Baggage Storage just to see how far you can push CX's limit?
It is not about the money. I actually would like to know how much they would like to charge.

I will be arriving around 4:30am and connecting on 7:50 the next day. The arrival opens at 5am and luggage storage opens at 5:30am. I will need to head to the arrival anyway after landing to refresh myself and will need to hand them my checkin luggage to store anyway. It is a lot easier to just visit one place and I am more than happy to pay for a reasonable storage fee (hopefully not more than double of the $140 daily storage fee at luggage storage).

FT is a good place to gather information about something "unpublished", I am pretty sure there were people "unable" to get back to arrival lounge for their luggage. it could either be someone simple forgot their luggage, or change of plan unable to get back to the airport or even change of schedule or anything. It is unlikely they would hand everything to lost and found straight after 12 midnight. A more civilized way to handle this would be an overnight storage fee.

Anyone had any experience?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
The Arrival lounge isn't a dedicated baggage storage facility, so I hope you won't treat it as such...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SilverChris
The Arrival lounge isn't a dedicated baggage storage facility, so I hope you won't treat it as such...
For the arrival lounge, I think they usually take them to the Priority lounge across the corridor. My family told me that they charge some money when you retrieve your bags last time it happened.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Ausriver
It is unlikely they would hand everything to lost and found straight after 12 midnight. A more civilized way to handle this would be an overnight storage fee.
...actually, this is exactly what they do.

They most certainly don't play "let's make a deal". And you definitely shouldn't be offering the attendant money under the table to do this, you can get in real trouble. At a minimum I'm pretty certain CX would strip your DM status and ban you or something to that extent, it's not a good idea. Chalk this up to the "bad idea" category!

I remember someone at HKIA telling me only designated areas are permitted to store luggage overnight, there is a company there that charges. This conversation had nothing to do with The Arrival so I don't know if it applies. (I was asking about that company that charges for luggage). The Arrival definitely doesn't have any security procedures for the luggage, you can see luggage just lazily stacked up in front, sometimes they put it outside when there is too much, nobody is paying attention and it most certainly isn't secured or locked or anything. Even if they locked up for the night, my bet is nothing is very secure there. Compared to that company that charges, they've been approved with the airport authority to "secure" the luggage, and I think they also have the right to search all your stuff and run it through a metal detector. Staff is also on duty 24 hours (unlike The Arrival). Most importantly, the airport authority is comfortable that nobody is adding/subtracting anything from the bags once they go to that company. This doesn't exist with The Arrival

Basically the airport authority wants to be assured that unaccompanied luggage is secure and not able to be tampered with. Pretty sure this is why The Arrival doesn't charge for luggage...because they're not allowed to. And CX doesn't want to go through the hoops (and liability) involved with doing so.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Originally Posted by Ausriver
It is unlikely they would hand everything to lost and found straight after 12 midnight. A more civilized way to handle this would be an overnight storage fee.
...actually, this is exactly what they do.
I actually thought they will move the luggage to lost & found. Thanks. CX likely discourages this type of action, and the airport authority probably dislikes that more for unattended luggage especially landside. In the end, CX may just have to follow airport rules.

They most certainly don't play "let's make a deal". And you definitely shouldn't be offering the attendant money under the table to do this, you can get in real trouble. At a minimum I'm pretty certain CX would strip your DM status and ban you or something to that extent, it's not a good idea. Chalk this up to the "bad idea" category!
CX may not just strip the passenger's status. It is a felony in Hong Kong. Anyone aware of this can report to ICAC in confidence.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
over night storage at CX arrival lounge?

I gather from the information in this thread that over night storage of luggage at the CX arrival lounge is discouraged/not allowed. Any news/updates on this? CX agent prepared to accept it anyway if asked nicely and explained that I will pick it up the following morning around 6AM?

I'm arriving into HKG on KA in C class around 11PM and continue the following morning at 9:20 to Stockholm on SAS. Most likely it will not be possible to drop off checked luggage for the SK flight until 3 hours before the flight, and I need to dumb my luggage somewhere before going clubbing in Central.

Any suggestions? (Yes, I'm aware of the "official" left luggage facilities at HKG but to be honest I find HKD 140/day very expensive for such services).
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I gather from the information in this thread that over night storage of luggage at the CX arrival lounge is discouraged/not allowed. Any news/updates on this? CX agent prepared to accept it anyway if asked nicely and explained that I will pick it up the following morning around 6AM?

I'm arriving into HKG on KA in C class around 11PM and continue the following morning at 9:20 to Stockholm on SAS. Most likely it will not be possible to drop off checked luggage for the SK flight until 3 hours before the flight, and I need to dumb my luggage somewhere before going clubbing in Central.

Any suggestions? (Yes, I'm aware of the "official" left luggage facilities at HKG but to be honest I find HKD 140/day very expensive for such services).
Haha "discouraged" is wishful thinking. Against the law is the more proper way to say it. You're leaving an unattended bag in the airport overnight....right. CX is in big trouble with the airport authority / HK Police if they permit it.

And definitely not recommended at all in the off chance someone says yes (doubt it though). The staff leave! They don't stay overnight. And your bags I think get turned over to security at the end of the day if you're not around.

The solution is easy, there is a very cheap public storage facility near The Arrival lounge. Can store your stuff for a few days there and approved by HKIA security. Secure lockers. Have staff 24/7. I can't remember the rates but very affordable. Everything goes through scanners before being stored away. Location is between T1 and T2 similar (but might be a different "tunnel") as The Arrival.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF

I don't know what CX will do to unclaimed luggage, but they may have to follow airport rules. BTW, The Arrival closes at 12am.

HKIA storage is HKD12/hour if you do not need to leave there for more than 11 hours.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Thanks. I thought so.

The solution is easy, there is a very cheap public storage facility near The Arrival lounge. Can store you to a few days there and approved by HKIA security. Secure lockers. Have staff 24/7.
Could you please elaborate? From the information I have gathered there is the pricy left luggage counter on level 3 of terminal 1, open from 5:30 to 1:30AM - but that is it.

I haven't read about any luggage lockers available at HKG (there is some old information about lockers, but only available for drop-off/screening from 9AM to 9PM; but I doubt this information is updated).
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Thanks. I thought so.

Could you please elaborate? From the information I have gathered there is the pricy left luggage counter on level 3 of terminal 1, open from 5:30 to 1:30AM - but that is it.

I haven't read about any luggage lockers available at HKG (there is some old information about lockers, but only available for drop-off/screening from 9AM to 9PM; but I doubt this information is updated).
We all are referring to the same facility: https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...t-baggage.html
It's HK$12/hr or HK$140/day whichever lesser will be charged (so you don't have to declare your preferred rate).

If you find baggage storage expensive, take the bags with you. That HK$120 for the 10 hours of convenience can't do you much otherwise in Hong Kong, maybe just one less glass for your clubbing?
--
Update: Alternatively, if you are taking Airport Express to/from Central, may consider the Hong Kong Station facility. HK$60, cash only, but you must arrive there before 1am. http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...ations_hk.html May also use in-town check-in with valid Airport Express ticket. (http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...ckin_info.html row 53, "Please contact airline for counter opening hours.")

Last edited by watery; Aug 3, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Maybe you can take it to the airport police saying its a lost baggage
pick it up in the morning if they hadnt detonated it
leave hk if they dont catch you for abusing public resource

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.