Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX refuses to honour Oct 97 upgrade promise (Oriental Daily)

CX refuses to honour Oct 97 upgrade promise (Oriental Daily)

Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:17 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by garykung
Let be fair.

While none of us can confirm the verbal offer, the letter did indicate any favors. Blaming Mrs. Chung may not be so fair in this case, given that CX is making an offer than CX can't keep.
Yes, the letter indicated any favours. Didn't she get an upgrade for herself though?

In my book thats already worth well more than what the 'favour' should have been. It was a polite offer from CX's side for the great help and the polite answer to that offer would have been 'don't worry, maybe a few asia miles?!' ... but obviously since this is HK after all, you gotta request the moon.

Otherwise, if they offer me 'any favours' next time ill just ask them for a peak mansion with an infinity pool. It was 'any favour' after all, right?

The other day I was travelling from DUS to Berlin by train and someone had a serious medical condition. Soon enough a doctor volunteered to help and guess what, he was totally happy with getting the train ride refunded (around 150 EUR value).

Last edited by mxr; Apr 5, 2017 at 3:19 am Reason: added
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Even if the "favor" was materialized by an upgrade voucher, as it would be today, it is subject to availability. As we all know April is the month of Ching Ming, Easter and Spring Holidays. Not surprising that there is no availability for two opup.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
What does availability mean? Availability of physical space, or availability of a certain upgrade fare class?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:49 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mxr
So if I was her, I would have asked to get a written confirmation of this upgrade pledge from 'mgr Paulo'.

Seriously, what a drama for something that happened 20 years ago. Also, pretty typical "ma fan" locals attitude from Mrs. Chung of requesting something that goes way beyond 'returning the favor'. I mean, seriously, the entire family??? For some probably minor medical help offered?

Besides, if you know you wont be flying another CX flight in the next 20 years, then why not ask for something like a cash voucher or extra AM?

According to the story, the upgrade was offered to her entire family by CX 20 years via a phone call. No mention of her requesting this in the first place.

She was saving the "favor" for longhaul upgrade. She said her vacations were usually on regional flights. That's why she didn't request for it. So I am not sure if the 20 years without flying CX statement is correct.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by mxr
So if I was her, I would have asked to get a written confirmation of this upgrade pledge from 'mgr Paulo'.

Seriously, what a drama for something that happened 20 years ago. Also, pretty typical "ma fan" locals attitude from Mrs. Chung of requesting something that goes way beyond 'returning the favor'. I mean, seriously, the entire family??? For some probably minor medical help offered?

So according to your theory, you're one of the ma fan people who are smart enough to second guess Mr. Chung's decision for not materialising the offer in advance.

Btw while I'm not trying to advise how big the favour should be but I really hope you know when CPR should be done during an emergency. It's for saving lives and it's not something like minor medical help.

Last edited by davidtai; Apr 5, 2017 at 5:08 am
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mxr
Yes, the letter indicated any favours. Didn't she get an upgrade for herself though?
The issue is how a reasonable person defines "any favours". To many of us, it may be reasonable to request upgrade for one. But "any favours" could really mean the entire family FWIW.

Originally Posted by mxr
In my book thats already worth well more than what the 'favour' should have been. It was a polite offer from CX's side for the great help and the polite answer to that offer would have been 'don't worry, maybe a few asia miles?!' ... but obviously since this is HK after all, you gotta request the moon.

Otherwise, if they offer me 'any favours' next time ill just ask them for a peak mansion with an infinity pool. It was 'any favour' after all, right?
Well, too bad for CX to name "any favour".

As ridiculous as it sounds, it could be a mansion in the Peak (although CX is not really into real estate).

Originally Posted by warakorn
What does availability mean? Availability of physical space, or availability of a certain upgrade fare class?
Per CX's policy for A-card - Availability of physical space, i.e. an actual seat is available at the airport.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JALPak
She was saving the "favor" for longhaul upgrade. She said her vacations were usually on regional flights. That's why she didn't request for it. So I am not sure if the 20 years without flying CX statement is correct.
Would it be possible that the upgrade offer was for any CX flight but since they wanted to maximize that "favor" they waited for a long haul flight to use it instead of using it back in 1997 or 1998 for a regional one?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
a little off topic but back in 2015 I was promised by Sofitel So Bangkok of an upgrade on my return as a service recovery. I never got to stay there again as it was a little out of the way. Fast forward to this March, I decided to stay there again. I wasn't really expecting for an upgrade and it wasn't offered during check in. (normally they do put it in your profile, which is attached to your membership info with the hotel group)

Anyway I was totally okay with it but when they told me that my room won't be ready until later that afternoon, I had to ask if they could just upgrade me as promised. They came back to me saying there was no upgrade instructions left on my profile but fortunately i was able to find the old email from the hotel about the offer but it still took them a good 30mins to sort it out and that was just 2 years ago.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by mxr
For some probably minor medical help offered?
Are you a doctor? Were you there? What do you define as minor medical help?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:08 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Would it be possible that the upgrade offer was for any CX flight but since they wanted to maximize that "favor" they waited for a long haul flight to use it instead of using it back in 1997 or 1998 for a regional one?
That's exactly what she did. Saving the offer to maximize its value. That's probably what some FTers would have done too but probably would not have waited for 20 years to cash in
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
1) Who would bother with an upgrade for one of those short sectors really
2) Given the circumstances the family might not even travel a lot, and this time they would want the luggage allowance (1st move student)? Dont expect they are all us flyers.
3) What would CX do for those who do CPR these days? To be honest i dont think an upgrade for 2 would be much of an issue as a favor - offering an upgrade for 1 is clearly more insulting than not offering anything at all. Except for business travellers, most people dont fly as singles (students perhaps, but i would think it's a very stingy offer if you're upgrading 1 person instead of a group.
4) Surely the (hypothetical) upgrade would be a 1-class upgrade to J as PE did not exist back then. maybe we can discuss whether she/they should be located in J or PE but with a CPR style favor i think CX has nothing to lose if they simply gave 2 of them in J.
5) I personally think CX has nothing to lose putting them 2 in J, a) I don't see a point to upgrade 1 but not the other since it didn't originate from some random seat failure for 1 person; b) as a life or death issue that the original CX Manager clearly value Mr Chung's help; c) it would be much goodwill to the family as the daughter is only now 12. even if her future business will only be in Y that's quite a few tickets to buy. but dont worry, seems like she wont be flying CX anymore if i were Chung Snr (CX will not be the cheapest nor w best service)
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
The issue is how a reasonable person defines "any favours". To many of us, it may be reasonable to request upgrade for one. But "any favours" could really mean the entire family FWIW.

Well, too bad for CX to name "any favour".

As ridiculous as it sounds, it could be a mansion in the Peak (although CX is not really into real estate).

Per CX's policy for A-card - Availability of physical space, i.e. an actual seat is available at the airport.
the modern a-card favors come from 1-seat failures, you get a upgrade for 1. fair enough.

now the CX management in 1997 clearly saw Mr Chung's deeds was way beyond what an a-card may do, hence "any favour" was written in the letter.

with "any favors" in the letter, using it on a family of 2 (mother and daughter) to upgrade to business class (which is what it would have been like in 1997... the idea of PE havent even existed back then) is clearly CX not playing ball with the "promise" in the letter.

i personally think the Chungs did the right thing taking this to the press, as the current CX management wouldnt have done anything wrt the promise in 1997.

or, this is how CX see/value life in 2017.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:36 am
Suspended

That's exactly what she did. Saving the offer to maximize its value. That's probably what some FTers would have done too but probably would not have waited for 20 years to cash in
what you said is very likely true yet i dont see why anyone would just use it for fun on a regional trip. or they might have forgotten about it until they need to relocate their daughter to UK as a student.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
Another 'non-story' by the ODN whose owner is still upset after an airport check in incident, what, four years ago?

This forum is in serious danger of becoming irrelevant if we try to second guess the motives of a passenger who was offered a 'favour' 20 - yes, TWENTY - years ago, and then chastise an airline as a result.

Move on, nothing to see here ...
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
It's his wife who talked to the ex-CX manager and requested for the upgrade. The husband isn't flying. CX offered to transfer the upgrade to the wife but refused to upgrade their daughter.
No wonder I was confused

Wouldn't that not pass muster though? I mean if Mr Chung was the one who got the upgrade, I would only think it would be fair if he was the one making a request than Mrs Chung no matter the circumstances.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.