Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX refuses to honour Oct 97 upgrade promise (Oriental Daily)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:04 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

- Nurse Mr. Chung performed CPR on CX828 HKG-YYZ 5 Oct 97
- CX Customer Relations Steven Hindes sent appreciation letter to Chung.
- Another manager Paulo also called Mrs. Chung. Mrs. Chung asserting Paulo stated the "return the favour" meant her whole family can be upgraded to J "when space available"
- In Feb 17 Mrs. Chung bought HK-London R/T Economy tickets and asked CX to fulfil its Oct 97 pledge
- CX refused, citing a) No record of Hindes/Paulo making the upgrade promise (although it confirmed the 5 Oct 97 incident took place) and b) inability to verify whether the pledge has been previously redeemed. Only offered to upgrade any one passenger to PE, *or* some Asia Miles.

http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/2017...00822_001.html

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 4, 2017 at 11:39 pm
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
A verbal promise 20 years ago?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
who on earth relies on a 20 year old verbal promise with no witnesses?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:13 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by mdevans
A of of DMs' USPs are also unwritten. Perhaps if this is the way CX is going all DMs should move to BA/QF Gold right away.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
A of of DMs' USPs are also unwritten. Perhaps if this is the way CX is going all DMs should move to BA/QF Gold right away.
Food service isnt hard coded in coc
so they can pull down the website in the name of service enhancement n stop serving food
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:20 pm

Well this showed how a company keeps their record even it has a ref number documented.

On the other hand, I would view this as a great opportunity to advertise their brand in terms of marketing. But clearly, their CS dept's job is to ruin the relationship with their customers.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by davidtai
Well this showed how a company keeps their record even it has a ref number documented.

On the other hand, I would view this as a great opportunity to advertise their brand in terms of marketing. But clearly, their CS dept's job is to ruin the relationship with their customers.
therefore its absolute bs that cs think they hv used the upgrade already.

Last edited by kaka; Apr 5, 2017 at 12:32 am
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:22 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
We do not know the circumstances of when the upgrade was requested. I would have had a discussion prior to travel in order for them to be aware of the situation and give them time to perform any verification, so it would not be a surprise request to the airport staff
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:46 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Jed
We do not know the circumstances of when the upgrade was requested. I would have had a discussion prior to travel in order for them to be aware of the situation and give them time to perform any verification, so it would not be a surprise request to the airport staff
Bought tickets in Feb for flights in Apr. CX declined the upgrade in Mar. Pretty clear she did this in advance.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by JALPak
Bought tickets in Feb for flights in Apr. CX declined the upgrade in Mar. Pretty clear she did this in advance.
It's a he.

I admit, I did think it was a she initially because they referred to a nurse - until I read the letter over again. We probably are accustomed to some professions being fulfilled more by members of a certain sex.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:03 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
It's a he.

I admit, I did think it was a she initially because they referred to a nurse - until I read the letter over again. We probably are accustomed to some professions being fulfilled more by members of a certain sex.
It's his wife who talked to the ex-CX manager and requested for the upgrade. The husband isn't flying. CX offered to transfer the upgrade to the wife but refused to upgrade their daughter.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/ba-reportedly-makes-elderly-transatlantic-passenger-sit-in-urine-soaked-clothes-for-entire-flight.html

is going to the toilet part of coc? I think faa rules only require the existance of a certain number of toilets.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
A verbal promise 20 years ago?
Originally Posted by mdevans
It sounds verbal...but the letter did say "return the favour in any way"...

Originally Posted by kaka
I think faa rules only require the existance of a certain number of toilets.
Well...FAR only applies to CX when CX flies into U.S.

Other than that, CX is free to follow FAR or not...
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:51 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
So if I was her, I would have asked to get a written confirmation of this upgrade pledge from 'mgr Paulo'.

Seriously, what a drama for something that happened 20 years ago. Also, pretty typical "ma fan" locals attitude from Mrs. Chung of requesting something that goes way beyond 'returning the favor'. I mean, seriously, the entire family??? For some probably minor medical help offered?

Besides, if you know you wont be flying another CX flight in the next 20 years, then why not ask for something like a cash voucher or extra AM?

Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mxr
Seriously, what a drama for something that happened 20 years ago. Also, pretty typical "ma fan" locals attitude from Mrs. Chung of requesting something that goes way beyond 'returning the favor'. I mean, seriously, the entire family??? For some probably minor medical help offered?
Let be fair.

While none of us can confirm the verbal offer, the letter did indicate any favors. Blaming Mrs. Chung may not be so fair in this case, given that CX is making an offer than CX can't keep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.