Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Cockroach falling on head - what would you do ?

Cockroach falling on head - what would you do ?

Old Apr 4, 17, 12:51 pm

Programs: oneworld, gate lice, tsa hater, neoliberal elitist
Originally Posted by Spock Seat View Post
Got the nearest napkin and killed it. Been there, done that HKG-BKK (or was it BKK-HKG). Can't remember in 2003. Mine was bigger. Said nothing.
And, oh yeah, I didn't record it to post it on-line.....but I agree, CX should resume the deep cleaning service as it was a few months ago, not a reason for cost cutting.
bugs are scary

I don't expect CX to disassemble a plane after every flight and sterilize every component in a clean room environment...but yeah...resume the old deep cleaning frequency.
Old Apr 4, 17, 9:01 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I don't know what you expect? Bugs exist. Even with pest control bugs still exist. Yes, the airline needs to do their best, but how do you know they didn't do that?

Don't mean to sound harsh, but seems like everyone always "wants" something everytime something out of the ordinary happens to them. In this case, it sounds like the crew accommodated you with a seat change, seems reasonable. I wouldn't expect them to give you a ticket or miles, or anything beyond that... Just my 2c.
Old Apr 4, 17, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You need to travel with an emotional support beast that eats cockroaches. Perhaps a snake would do the job?
Old Apr 5, 17, 2:19 am

Cockroaches are nothing, my mother got bitten by a rat in CX F around 1990. It ran up her leg and bit her just below the knee.
Old Apr 5, 17, 2:45 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hkflyer2014 View Post
I don't know what you expect? Bugs exist. Even with pest control bugs still exist. Yes, the airline needs to do their best, but how do you know they didn't do that?

Don't mean to sound harsh, but seems like everyone always "wants" something everytime something out of the ordinary happens to them. In this case, it sounds like the crew accommodated you with a seat change, seems reasonable. I wouldn't expect them to give you a ticket or miles, or anything beyond that... Just my 2c.
so would you think its ok to have a snail in your soda drink?

if the soda company gives you a replacement, would that be acceptable?
Old Apr 5, 17, 2:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Herostratus View Post
Cockroaches are nothing, my mother got bitten by a rat in CX F around 1990. It ran up her leg and bit her just below the knee.
do you think its ok how cx treated ur mom back then?
Old Apr 5, 17, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I was gotten wet by the condensation (which the condensation was enough to half fill a Y beverage cup).

Result? Nothing.

Cockroaches? Move on.
Old Apr 5, 17, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
+1. On the other hand, a cockroach strikes me as a more serious failure than some condensation. Where does one draw the line?

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
No, but does every imperfection require compensation? Sometimes mistakes happen. Is an apology never sufficient for this stuff?
Old Apr 5, 17, 6:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
+1. On the other hand, a cockroach strikes me as a more serious failure than some condensation. Where does one draw the line?

No, but does every imperfection require compensation? Sometimes mistakes happen. Is an apology never sufficient for this stuff?
a canned response with the non-action by the management is clearly not sufficient.

if having a snail in a drink does not require compensation, our modern day tort law would be totally different.

I do think with the repeat complaint from the close users of the CX J seats regarding cleanliness, i do think it originates from the lack of care from the CX management, hence such compensation is clearly due.

otherwise you can put the same logic re EU261/2004 compensation get 12 hour delay and just apology shall suffice, perhaps flying on airlines from china would do you fine..
Old Apr 5, 17, 3:57 pm

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
In the future wear a helmet?

If you are in F the crew can prepare them for you:
http://www.rovepestcontrol.com/if-yo...roach-recipes/
Originally Posted by Spock Seat View Post
Got the nearest napkin and killed it. Been there, done that HKG-BKK (or was it BKK-HKG). Can't remember in 2003. Mine was bigger. Said nothing.
And, oh yeah, I didn't record it to post it on-line.....but I agree, CX should resume the deep cleaning service as it was a few months ago, not a reason for cost cutting.
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
Wear a tin foil hat
Originally Posted by Sanguinus View Post
I would recognise that Cathay fly largely in the tropics where there are billions of insects and not allow myself to get too indignant about the intrusion of nature into urban/flying life. Cathay are much cleaner than most airlines, in my experience (just fly BA to compare).

Couldn't agree more ^
Old Apr 5, 17, 4:02 pm

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by kaka View Post

if the soda company gives you a replacement, would that be acceptable?
With your constant bashing of the airline, I don't know why you even still regularly post on this forum, or better yet, why you even still fly with them.

But if you must, come on - use a better comparison. Having a cockroach inside a huge metal tube where 300+ passenger and its luggage may have entered after an airline does it cleaning, just does not, compare to soda produced inside a sterile environment.
Old Apr 5, 17, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
I once had a cockroach, huge mind you, yours was tiny, in a bucket of ice at the Peninsula HK. It seems from the responses and this post itself cockroaches are very accepted in HK. I was only given a box of Peninsula branded chocolates to make up for it.

Maybe nolounge wants to eat them, that's why he's degrading your post. I think nolounge needs to go back to Biology class and learn about how diseases are transmitted.
Meanwhile, I'd expect quite a substantial compensation. Its unhygienic and can be a risk to your health.
Old Apr 5, 17, 7:54 pm

Programs: oneworld, gate lice, tsa hater, neoliberal elitist
Originally Posted by nolounge View Post
With your constant bashing of the airline, I don't know why you even still regularly post on this forum, or better yet, why you even still fly with them.

But if you must, come on - use a better comparison. Having a cockroach inside a huge metal tube where 300+ passenger and its luggage may have entered after an airline does it cleaning, just does not, compare to soda produced inside a sterile environment.

That's not a very nice thing to say.

I wouldn't demand compensation, but CX would definitely hear a complaint if I were to see a cockroach.

And yes, CX should revert to the old deep clean frequency.
Old Apr 5, 17, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
At least you did not find it 1/2 way through eating your salad.
Old Apr 5, 17, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nolounge View Post

i live in hk, there's only so many options with regarding miles earning capabilities. and this is a asiamiles forum which is the currency that assists my flying.

This is also an open forum, why cant i be posting whatever i find suitable? I was the one that got bug bitten onboard, not you?

and re snail in drink, i didnt make this case up, read this, its not a case i simply made up. The question now here, is if CX has a liability on the plane's general cleanliness wrt the existance of bed bugs or roaches. Or these things are beyond CX's control with a reasonable amount of cleaning.

My base line is, if such incident is not acceptable in a general household and/or a normal comparable industry, then it's not acceptable. It's not like i'm complaining over a skipped water run here.
so, roaches, definately no. even restaurants with roaches will bring problems to their license. I dont think many of us would actively allow roaches to exist in our home.
similar case is if you find a fly in your plane food. acceptable?
now my personal case of bed bugs, to make it fair if you do some googling most company of the similar nature would compensate. (ah yesterday BA compensated 40GBP for an old woman who couldnt go to the toilet and wet her pants onboard during a 1.5 hours ground delay... but lets keep that for a different forum)

and since you took the issue to a personal level, i've been here 10 years more than you did and have kept a reasonably on-topic stance, lets just talk about why /why not /how CX should react to the circumstance.

Last edited by kaka; Apr 5, 17 at 11:29 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: