Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
CX will not be retrofitting 777s with the same seats as A350s, however they will be adding leg rests to the existing seats:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific-upgrades-boeing-777-premium-economy
Print Wikipost

77W PEY retrofit [only footrests]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
The premise was that 777s are getting a premium economy refit which is untrue. See post #6 and djsflynn has impeccable sources.
Thanks, but I'll be first to admit that I can be wrong - and if so, I'm buying everybody on this thread a drink :P

What is happening is that the B777 premium economy seats are being 'enhanced' (!) by fitting swing-up calf-rests across all rows, rather than limiting them to only the first / bulkhead row – but this upgrade started last year, so it's neither major nor new.

Last edited by djsflynn; Mar 17, 2017 at 9:09 pm
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Thanks, I'll be first to admit that I can be wrong and if so, I'm buying everybody on this thread a drink :P

What is happening is that the B777 premium economy seats are being 'enhanced' (!) by fitting swing-up calf-rests across all rows, rather than limiting them to only the first / bulkhead row – but this upgrade started last year, so it's neither major nor new.
Yes, I was on one of those birds SFO-HKG this past December (B-KPE). I was in 31C though, so didn't get to try these new legrests on non-bulkhead/exit row seats.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Thank you for the follow up posts.

I have 2 US to SIN trips coming up, so perhaps I'll see all the 77W and 359 seat variants. One of the trips is a same day turn, and depending on comfort, I may do 2 more to qualify for AA EXP.

I suspect my 8 year old traveling partner will find the calf rests more beneficial than me.

I had the chance to take 31C on the 77W and place him in 31D, but decided against it after reading about the lack of length of the 77W bulkhead leg rests - I'm 6 foot 3. Now that I know they extend, perhaps I reconsider...
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
I had the chance to take 31C on the 77W and place him in 31D, but decided against it after reading about the lack of length of the 77W bulkhead leg rests - I'm 6 foot 3. Now that I know they extend, perhaps I reconsider...
The bulkhead legrests do extend, but not far enough for someone who is 6' 3". I'm 5' 11" with average-length legs, and they still aren't good enough for me. Solution: I use the legrest but don't extend it, and instead use my rollaboard bag as an extension of the seat legrest.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Thanks, I'll be first to admit that I can be wrong and if so, I'm buying everybody on this thread a drink :P

Here's an article about the leg rest retrofit - which includes 2 extra inches of pitch.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...remium-economy

Unfortunately we don't have any photos yet. If anyone has photos of these refitted seats, please post!
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by sxc
Here's an article about the leg rest retrofit - which includes 2 extra inches of pitch.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...remium-economy

Unfortunately we don't have any photos yet. If anyone has photos of these refitted seats, please post!
This is good news with the extra 2 inches and calf-rest. Does anyone knows if there's any implication on the number of seats in other cabins?

Just wonder why they don't change it to the new seats given that 77W should still be flying long haul for some years.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: CATHAY PACIFIC
how are they adding the space of pey? are they reducing the pitch of Ey, especially the bulkhead seats?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Raymond Lu
how are they adding the space of pey? are they reducing the pitch of Ey, especially the bulkhead seats?
I wonder that as well. I mean, at 2 inches extra pitch per (non-bulkhead/exit) row, for the 77H that's 6 inches for the port side, 8 inches for the center section, and 4 inches for the starboard side. I think there's enough room for these adjustments in all three sections at their respective bulkheads/exit rows in the PE cabin, without needing to move the PE/Y bulkhead. Same story for the 77G: 6 inches extra pitch needed for all three sections, with plenty of bulkhead room to accommodate.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: CATHAY PACIFIC
Originally Posted by dkc192
I wonder that as well. I mean, at 2 inches extra pitch per (non-bulkhead/exit) row, for the 77H that's 6 inches for the port side, 8 inches for the center section, and 4 inches for the starboard side. I think there's enough room for these adjustments in all three sections at their respective bulkheads/exit rows in the PE cabin, without needing to move the PE/Y bulkhead. Same story for the 77G: 6 inches extra pitch needed for all three sections, with plenty of bulkhead room to accommodate.
for the 77H, the middle section bulkhead is relatively very tight right now
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
I guess you mean 77G? 77H middle section bulkhead is very spacious...

As long as the footrest can raise without hitting the magazine bags it would be considered ok to CX...

But that would be problematic for aisle crossing... Particularly for those from port side to go to toilet on 77H...
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Recently sat in B-KPD and indeed it had the retrofitted PY seats. There is a single-piece padded leg rest that rises up. Unlike the bulkhead sets it does not extend. Padding has been installed over the fold down T shaped foot rest. The result is very comfortable and I find it much more comfortable than the metal flip down strip. I hope this ends up fleet-wide. Its also apparent, it involves not just installing the leg rest and foot pads - the armrest needs the button fitted. I guess its basically a whole new seat frame.
Attached Images   
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Those padding looks like they're made by small time upholstery shops.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Originally Posted by boybi
Those padding looks like they're made by small time upholstery shops.
Agreed. They are quite soft and perfect for resting feet on for long periods, however.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: AAdvatage Executive Platinum / Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Green
Yes - I experienced this recently sitting in the middle bulkhead. It is much tighter now - those in the bulkhead can now easily touch the wall with their feet. I was in 30D - I asked people to walk around rather than cross over the bulkhead and disturb everyone. Surprising how insistent some people were on crossing over.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kingbat
Yes - I experienced this recently sitting in the middle bulkhead. It is much tighter now - those in the bulkhead can now easily touch the wall with their feet. I was in 30D - I asked people to walk around rather than cross over the bulkhead and disturb everyone. Surprising how insistent some people were on crossing over.
i have this seat next month and are worried about stories of people crossing over also. Thought of bringing a bag and putting it in the way but didn't know if thag would even work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.