Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dine on Demand Trial in J class coming in May 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Trial flights:
May 1 to May 31 - CX343/344 (HKG-LGW)
June 1 to June 30 - CX806/CX807 (HKG-ORD)

Media coverage:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2078183/cathay-pacific-trial-demand-catering-long-haul-flights
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific-to-trial-dine-on-demand-meals-in-business-class
Print Wikipost

Dine on Demand Trial in J class coming in May 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:28 am
qsh

Programs: AS MVP BR *G
One more thing
Does the A350 has enough range to fly to east coast and make a profit?

The only route operated by an A350 that is >7500mi is SIN-SFO, which SQ likely expected it to be unprofitable. I mean there must be a reason why A350 operators haven't deployed A359 on ultra long range flights like the ones B787 currently operates.

And we all know that CX likes revenue cargo more than revenue pax.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by qsh
One more thing

The only route operated by an A350 that is >7500mi is SIN-SFO, which SQ likely expected it to be unprofitable. I mean there must be a reason why A350 operators haven't deployed A359 on ultra long range flights like the ones B787 currently operates.

Yes, you will see the A350 on select east coast NA routes at some point. The A359 has excellent cargo carrying capabilities, it carries less than the 77W but it can carry a full load further than the 77W carries its so worries there.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by SLGO
Dine-on-demand while no change in crewing? I once flied KUL -> HKG on a fully loaded 77W where the crew used almost all of the time in the air to serve and collect the meals. I wonder how this would work without having more staff on board.
I highly doubt DoD will be introduced on regional routes. Not even QR offers that on their shorter flights.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I highly doubt DoD will be introduced on regional routes. Not even QR offers that on their shorter flights.
Still worriesome even for medium and long haul flights where crew are required to have mandatory rest period, which leaves business class with 2 or 3 cabin crew.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: CX DM, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Still worriesome even for medium and long haul flights where crew are required to have mandatory rest period, which leaves business class with 2 or 3 cabin crew.
Dine on Demand, but at our conveniences, thank you for your patient. Will be going to Chicago two weeks later. Fingercrossed.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Latest news is it has been pushed back because there's not enough people signing up for the trial. Please report back from your sources if you have too!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:17 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by qsh
Btw @G-CIVC
Any plans of trying BR J Class?
They inherited the CX J salt and pepper "stone"
The timing for BR's ex-ORD new service is quite good, but I am very rigid with my alliance loyalty...

In fact, I seldom fly on anything else (except AA to use my SWUs and how good they are) because CX is the cheapest especially for J LOL. How ironic!

Originally Posted by qsh
One more thing

350 is well equipped to fly ULH, QR is flying it to the US (and Aus i think?) too. Again I see EWR as a potential 350 destination.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:20 pm
qsh

Programs: AS MVP BR *G
I gave up my airline/alliance loyalty after realizing I could buy miles for J 1 year ago. Rotating between BR and CX now (I only care about the Zodiac Cirrus). But I am considering switching back to OW (AA) now, since AA is cheaper than AC for domestic flights and I do want to move back to HK.

If you are price sensitive, try ex-YYZ next time. Fares for CX (and other airlines) gets even lower here due to the FX. (Half the price of ex-HKG...)

Given what you said for 350, then I guess YYZ is a good destination for it too. CX is only willing to operate 2x daily seasonally, while maintaining 10x weekly during low seasons. Having said, I really want CX to operate 77H into YYZ, so I could sample their F class without taking 12hr bus to JFK.
(QR is currently flying to East Coast with A350, which is still sub 7k.)
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:18 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Let's keep this thread on topic of dine on demand.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:33 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Latest news is it has been pushed back because there's not enough people signing up for the trial. Please report back from your sources if you have too!
Of course, who would want to sign up for this kind of trial. That's why they called this phone scam on CX Secrets
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Although not directly related dine on demand, I am thinking of protestng against CX's method of serving J meals (especially the main course). If I happen to fly CX J, this is what I'll do:

1. Bring my own plate, along with some garnishing such as fresh herbs, vegetables etc.

2. When flight attendant brings linen covered tray with appetizer, bread, salad and salt/pepper shaker, I will remove each item from the tray and put it directly onto the table (course by course, "F class" style). Tray will then be put aside on the ledge.

3. When the main course comes in those ugly casserole dishes, I will carefully transfer each part of the main course to the plate that I brought (while making sure it looks presentable with my fresh herbs and vegetables) and put the self-plated meal directly on the table.

4. Once finished the main course, I will put everything back onto the tray and give back to flight attendant.

5. I will then go to the lavatory to wash my plate and put back into my carry-on.

6. Continue eating the cheese and dessert course as normal as they don't come on trays.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
Although not directly related dine on demand, I am thinking of protestng against CX's method of serving J meals (especially the main course). If I happen to fly CX J, this is what I'll do:

1. Bring my own plate, along with some garnishing such as fresh herbs, vegetables etc.

2. When flight attendant brings linen covered tray with appetizer, bread, salad and salt/pepper shaker, I will remove each item from the tray and put it directly onto the table (course by course, "F class" style). Tray will then be put aside on the ledge.

3. When the main course comes in those ugly casserole dishes, I will carefully transfer each part of the main course to the plate that I brought (while making sure it looks presentable with my fresh herbs and vegetables) and put the self-plated meal directly on the table.

4. Once finished the main course, I will put everything back onto the tray and give back to flight attendant.

5. I will then go to the lavatory to wash my plate and put back into my carry-on.

6. Continue eating the cheese and dessert course as normal as they don't come on trays.
Make sure to have someone take a video and upload it here.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: QF, KF
Originally Posted by boybi
Make sure to have someone take a video and upload it here.
It could be CX's new training video!!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by JALPak
Of course, who would want to sign up for this kind of trial. That's why they called this phone scam on CX Secrets
Exactly. This is just a joke to have 5 crew serving DoD for 53 pax on a 77W. Would be interesting if there are indeed enough volunteers for trial.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Carfield
I think LGW is moving to A350 soon...
LGW has always been an A350.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.