Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dine on Demand Trial in J class coming in May 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Trial flights:
May 1 to May 31 - CX343/344 (HKG-LGW)
June 1 to June 30 - CX806/CX807 (HKG-ORD)

Media coverage:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2078183/cathay-pacific-trial-demand-catering-long-haul-flights
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific-to-trial-dine-on-demand-meals-in-business-class
Print Wikipost

Dine on Demand Trial in J class coming in May 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:14 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
BTC is far more worth pursuing...used properly it can be a win win for passengers and CX, reducing waste.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by percysmith
BTC is far more worth pursuing...used properly it can be a win win for passengers and CX, reducing waste.
Yup. Honestly I'm surprised why airlines don't do this. It's like really a win-win situation, even if it's just pre-order your main course without extra choices.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:52 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by bart simpson
Yup. Honestly I'm surprised why airlines don't do this. It's like really a win-win situation, even if it's just pre-order your main course without extra choices.
CX doesn't want to publish pictures of how unattractive their main courses look.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: QF FF; Accor Plus
[QUOTE=G-CIVC;28025189]Hopefully it's just a matter of wording but it would suck if it was only ex-HKG given that I have a 807 booked for early June

@G-CIVC, Will you be posting your feedback on your CX DoD experience on FT? I, for one, will look forward to it. I am CX806 in J at the end of June.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by sxc
CX doesn't want to publish pictures of how unattractive their main courses look.
They can always put a small print at the bottom:
Photo for reference only
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hey guys, if only it was that simple. Part of why DoD (BTC-esque concept) has not come into force earlier is quite simply the technology that underpins the CX website is - or rather was - inadequate. That is all about to change soon.

Originally Posted by sxc
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
Hey guys, if only it was that simple. Part of why DoD (BTC-esque concept) has not come into force earlier is quite simply the technology that underpins the CX website is - or rather was - inadequate. That is all about to change soon.
Until recently I would've said "impossible" as SQ screwed up their website royally. But CX seems to have emulated them over the last year or two. However SQ is able to BTC...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:28 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
More suspense to keep everyone excited (or we can hope).

(Sourced from another forum)

Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
More suspense to keep everyone excited (or we can hope).

(Sourced from another forum)

New Business Class Service - Meet our trainers - YouTube
Good to hear that plating food onboard is finally coming.

Though since that video seems to be internal CX only and "unlisted", I'm not sure it should be spread around.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:57 am
qsh

Programs: AS MVP BR *G
Per one of the crew's Facebook fan page, she was not pleased with these changes at all.

https://www.facebook.com/%E9%A3%9B%E...0943410714412/
"誠懇樣到.... ___佢___老___"

Their(the people in the video) face look so "sincere"... (followed by foul language)

Last edited by qsh; Apr 11, 2017 at 11:38 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:21 am

Wow dine on demand is cost cutting? Now that's news to me! If that's cost cutting, then why aren't all airlines doing this? So you sit in a restaurant and prefer to only be served when someone comes out with a trolley? The expectation at a luxury restaurant is that you prefer trolleys and not dine or demand...? If that's the case, I don't think many luxury restaurants can satisfy you.

Anyway if the source of having new mattress etc is indeed correct, I don't think this initiative is about cutting costs but is to enhance the service and it is most welcomed, if I ever had the chance to fly business!

TBH if I were the management I would just fire all the current crews. With insider comments most of their crew hotels are the best of all. I mean staying at intercontinental? I was staying in some crappy hotel before and saw another full service airline's crews checking in... Also my friend told me that they mostly have same day return patterns so let alone have allowance or hotel stay... still these people are complaining? How about you just quit and let me get the job...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
Originally Posted by qsh
Per one of the crew's Facebook page, she was not pleased with these changes at all.
That's a great head in the sand attitude! Sounds like a union official from the 70s ... "let's not keep up with the competition and give our customers want they want, because I don't want to change" ...
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by akiangel
Wow dine on demand is cost cutting? Now that's news to me! If that's cost cutting, then why aren't all airlines doing this? So you sit in a restaurant and prefer to only be served when someone comes out with a trolley? The expectation at a luxury restaurant is that you prefer trolleys and not dine or demand...? If that's the case, I don't think many luxury restaurants can satisfy you.

Anyway if the source of having new mattress etc is indeed correct, I don't think this initiative is about cutting costs but is to enhance the service and it is most welcomed, if I ever had the chance to fly business!

TBH if I were the management I would just fire all the current crews. With insider comments most of their crew hotels are the best of all. I mean staying at intercontinental? I was staying in some crappy hotel before and saw another full service airline's crews checking in... Also my friend told me that they mostly have same day return patterns so let alone have allowance or hotel stay... still these people are complaining? How about you just quit and let me get the job...
I don't know what your sources are but I don't think that the CX crew hotels can honestly be said as some of the best hotels. The hotel in Hong Kong is the Swire run Headland hotel which is just run for crew to stay in - I've been there a few times and it's a 4* hotel at best. Yes there are the odd hotel in a specific location that is half decent (I am guessing you are referring to the Yokohama Intercontinental when you mentioned the crew staying at the Intercontinental - but then again that's the hotel given for crew flying to Tokyo and Yokohama is technically a different city to Tokyo), but some of them can only be described as pretty average hotels at best.

If I was Swire I would fire most of the current management... the crew have nothing to do with the awful food, the cuts in the offering etc. IMHO the crew are doing the best they can with the limited offering they have been provided by the company.

They can put a smile on their face, but at the end of the day if you don't load enough food or if the quality of the food is crap, there's very little the crew can do. I put the blame squarely on management.

You do have certain crew that have the wrong attitude and I agree CX should try to weed out those crew, but for the rest of them, cutting their allowance, reducing the number of days for their flying patterns etc is just a kick in the teeth for them. I am very sympathetic to them as I would be demoralised if I was a crew and CX treated me in that way.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
Touche, but AA's interface doesn't provide pictures, just menu descriptions. And it's only a pre-order for the base choices that will be loaded on the plane. It's really just a way to guarantee your choice. As it has to be done 24 hours in advance, last-minute upgrades can't participate.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:35 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Cathay Pacific eyes Q4 rollout of business class 'dine on demand'

In today's AusBT instalment of Cathay News:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...dine-on-demand

Trials on LGW and ORD routes and gradual rollout in late Q3/Q4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.