Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Downgraded flight, can't check in, airport / help line useless, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lawl COVID

Have a PVG-HKG-US trip coming up. Tried to check in at 48, "Sorry, there seems to be a problem. Go to the airport." At the airport, nobody at the check-in counter is of any help. Go to the ticketing counter, first they say the ticket isn't confirmed. I say "The hell it isn't." They then determine there's been an equipment change, no PE. Come back to the airport day of, we might upgrade you if there are seats, otherwise, we'll give you downgrade comp. "Can I buy up to J this leg?" No answer. "I can't even check in," I say. "There's nothing that can be done?" Not here.

So I call Cathay. After 10 minutes on hold, someone comes on. I explain my situation. Initially get told to go to the airport. "I'm AT the airport. They've been absolutely no help." She tries to see if there are any other flights that day with PE, only one, when I'm in a meeting across town from the airport. So we're back to this flight. "I would like to at least be able to check in, can we figure out what's going on with my ticket?" After a few minutes on hold she says give it a try here in about 15 minutes. "Will they still know that I was downgraded?" Yes, the staff at the airport will see you've been downgraded.

Check 30 minutes later. Still can't check in. Any chance of a low boarding number for the TPAC leg is now blown. Thanks Cathay. What now? Just SOL until day of?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I am kinda confused what's going on here?

And why do you need a low boarding number?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
You said you are at the airport, but are you traveling today? You cannot check in at PVG until the day of travel.

I have not been able to do OLCI for PEK-HKG for a while already (and therefore not for my connecting HKG-SFO flight as well). I understand your point, but don't worry about low boarding number. Op-up doesn't happen often even for DM and GO.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They told you to go to the airport the day before your flight? If so, that's spectacularly bad advice. FYI, there are lots of flights between Shanghai and HK, and getting on them usually isn't especially challenging.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
They told you to go to the airport the day before your flight? If so, that's spectacularly bad advice. FYI, there are lots of flights between Shanghai and HK, and getting on them usually isn't especially challenging.
That's what I was confused - OP said "What now? Just SOL until day of?".

If OP is transiting in HKG, the ticket is probably PVG-xHKG-... and he cannot board a flight violating the transit rule. If he is checking in at the airport a day earlier, I don't think it can be done in PVG.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
The flight does not get transferred to airport control that early yet, so obviously the team are unable to do anything about it. Calling them useless is an overreaction.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I am kinda confused what's going on here?

And why do you need a low boarding number?
perhaps OP was hoping for an opup...
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lawl COVID
I'm always looking for the op-up. Who isn't? Got the bump up on all 4 of my previous legs (and 6 of last 9) and I know a low BN helps with that.

Anyway, yes, they told me to go to the airport even though I said I was flying the following day. I thought it was stupid, too, but I went because I was close by (got there in 10 minutes on the maglev train, that was fun!)

Called back a third time last night and finally got someone to confirm me in J for the PVG-HKG leg. Still can't check in online, but at least that part is sorted. If the TPAC op-up happens, it happens.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA EC
What I can tell you is op-up is not related to SEQ anymore now
CX has been moved to a revenue-based op-up since last year
i.e. the more "paid" ticket you travel with CX, the higher chance you op-up
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:48 pm

Low BN doesn't mean anything. I was BN1 on CGK-HKG a few days ago in a full Y and they op'ed up the elite members first.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:11 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Come back to the airport day of, we might upgrade you if there are seats, otherwise, we'll give you downgrade comp.
Downgrade comp then. "useless" label unwarranted.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Low BN doesn't mean anything. I was BN1 on CGK-HKG a few days ago in a full Y and they op'ed up the elite members first.
i think low BN works when you are GO and DM, but go SL/GR/AM it really doesn't help.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
i think low BN works when you are GO and DM, but go SL/GR/AM it really doesn't help.
Nothing related to BN now, CX just want to appreciate those really always fly CX
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
My wife had a similar issue flying KA. Booked in J (award ticket), then schedule change to an all Y A320. MPC says everything is fine, and she is confirmed in Y, mileage difference will be redeposited after flight.

Day before Can't check-in online..

Day of flight, the plane actually has J and the KA staff at the airport (outstation airport in China) can't figure out what to do with the res because the ticket is booked in J (no seat reserved now) with just comments about the downgrade. They can't figure out how to give her a Y seat or a J seat.

Finally, after much discussion and phone calls, at the deadline for check-in they just issued a J boarding pass. In the end it worked out but it was quite a hassle for an hour at the check-in desk because it wasn't clear they would give my wife a seat in either J or Y.

Last edited by TWAforever; Feb 26, 2017 at 11:34 am
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by TWAforever
My wife had a similar issue flying KA. Booked in J (award ticket), then schedule change to an all Y A320. MPC says everything is fine, and she is confirmed in Y, mileage difference will be redeposited after flight.

Day before Can't check-in online..

Day of flight, the plane actually has J and the KA staff at the airport (outstation airport in China) can't figure out what to do with the res because the ticket is booked in J (no seat reserved now) with just comments about the downgrade. They can't figure out how to give her a Y seat or a J seat.

Finally, after much discussion and phone calls, at the deadline for check-in they just issued a J boarding pass. In the end it worked out but it was quite a hassle for an hour at the check-in desk because it wasn't clear they would give my wife a seat in either J or Y.
The outport staff in China are mostly third party check-in agents.

In any event, they probably know what to do when KA swaps in an all Y flight, or to swap an all Y flight out. In this case, they swapped twice and got themselves confused. Even if the flight is 2-class sold as 1, they are supposed to issue Y-only BP.

Was she on an AA award ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.