Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

USA Cathay Pacific Credit card from Synchrony Bank

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
USA Cathay Pacific credit card 40K miles card offer:

https://us.cathaypacific.com/offers/credit-card ($2000 spend, 90 days)

This 40k offer expires September 30, 2020.

Print Wikipost

USA Cathay Pacific Credit card from Synchrony Bank

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Any retention offer for this card?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:13 am

Just received this card at 35K bonus and no fee for first year, but have second thoughts about using it. I am positive that I will make only one trip on Cathay...IAD to HKG to SYD to IAD...will purchase business fare tickets. What can I do with 35K miles? Spending the required $2500 to get the bonus probably would be better utilized on CHASE RESERVE. So, my question is....can I book AA US domestic flights on the Cathay website and/or by calling Cathay? Does Cathay actually have and will book AA flights easily? Would appreciate some guidance before I even call the authorization to use the card. THANKS!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by pjack
Just received this card at 35K bonus and no fee for first year, but have second thoughts about using it. I am positive that I will make only one trip on Cathay...IAD to HKG to SYD to IAD...will purchase business fare tickets. What can I do with 35K miles? Spending the required $2500 to get the bonus probably would be better utilized on CHASE RESERVE. So, my question is....can I book AA US domestic flights on the Cathay website and/or by calling Cathay? Does Cathay actually have and will book AA flights easily? Would appreciate some guidance before I even call the authorization to use the card. THANKS!
Only when AA released seats to CX, which is dependent on the route. But in general, very hard to find good availability on AA.

Other use is to buy W fare and use AM to upgrade to J.

If I were you I won't apply this card to start with. AM has hard expiration date (no way to extend), so unless you fly to Asia with CX often, it's very hard to use.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:11 pm

andersonCooper, I agree, shouldn't have applied in the first place, but did it on the spur of the moment. I guess the only thing lost was a credit check pull. Thought AA miight be a way to utilize the miles, but doesn't sound hopeful. Will just destroy card and move on!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by pjack
andersonCooper, I agree, shouldn't have applied in the first place, but did it on the spur of the moment. I guess the only thing lost was a credit check pull. Thought AA miight be a way to utilize the miles, but doesn't sound hopeful. Will just destroy card and move on!
I still think upgrading W to J fare is the best use in this particular case. If you are routing from JFK to HKG, J fare is rarely below $6k.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Anyone has any thoughts about the new promotion? Is this worth it? There's no mentioning about no fee for the1st year and I am debating.......

Earn up to 60,000 bonus Asia Miles*

Earn 35,000 bonus miles
When you spend $2,500 in the first 90 days of account opening

Earn 25,000 bonus miles
When you spend an additional $7,500 in the first 12 months

Offer expires June 30, 2018
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JohnGreat
Anyone has any thoughts about the new promotion? Is this worth it? There's no mentioning about no fee for the1st year and I am debating.......
To make this simple - to score 60K AM, you need to spend $10K.

I would say it is a good deal only if you are not qualified for anything else, such as AS or AA cards.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:21 am

My credit card cycle closes on 4/9, today and I have met the spend for the bonus miles in the cycle. Does anyone know how long it takes before the miles are in the Asia Miles account? I have an award reservation that I would like to make but need the miles to do so. Thanks...
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:50 am

Can I apply?

I got the CX VISA in Aug. last year, then cancelled late Feb. (2 months ago).
Can I apply for the card now to get the 35K+25K bonus?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jjwang; Apr 29, 2018 at 12:07 pm
Old May 1, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by jjwang
I got the CX VISA in Aug. last year, then cancelled late Feb. (2 months ago).
Can I apply for the card now to get the 35K+25K bonus?
Thanks in advance.
If you use the same name and SS#, then no. They will still issue you the credit card, but you will find no benefits, and you will call them to complain, and they will explain to you you're a "returning customer", not "new customer"

I have many friends that think they are smart and tried this, and failed. They are not that dumb.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Got an offer from them: spend $20,000 USD and get TWO LOUNGE PASSES, WOW, spend $20,000 with them and get TWO LOUNGE PASSES. Wow....
Ridiculous
Hottub Cowboy likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Yeah, I got the same offer. Ridiculous. These days I only use the card for some recurring payments, insurance, cable, etc. and some international charges since the payback is 1.5x. Other than that all my other spend is going to AMEX. BTW, new AMEX offer, spend $50 on Amazon and get 2000 points.

It would be nice if this card had some intermittent miles bonus, like spend $20K in 2 months for 100K or 75K miles.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by rbw5t
I just applied online and got this message...

"Thank you for applying for the Cathay Pacific VisaŽ Card. You're almost done. Please call 855-486-5157 within the next 48 hours to complete your application. For your records your reference is **** . If we do not hear from you within that timeframe you will receive a written communication from us within the next 7-10 business days."

Is conventional wisdom to actually call, or is it better to let the application work its way through the process? (I ask bc with some of the other issuers, it's generally recommended that we not call.)
In the same boat as the above. What should I do? Call or ignore?
Old May 4, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by i_gtgo
In the same boat as the above. What should I do? Call or ignore?
Sorry, it's been awhile now since I went through it, and I'm not sure I remember with 100% certainty... but, I think I just waited and did not call. My wife and I both applied and were approved, and eventually got the miles which are now safely in our Asia Miles accounts. If I recall, it was a pretty long process, but all worked out right in the end without having to call and fight about anything.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
I'm sure you guys received this promotion....

Limited-time special offer.*
For a limited time, you'll earn 5,000 Asia Miles when you make two purchases on your Cathay Pacific Visa Signature card by July 04, 2018.

Does that means I just purchase a MacDonald's Happy meal in two separate incidents and I will receive 5000 Asia Miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.