Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

USA Cathay Pacific Credit card from Synchrony Bank

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
USA Cathay Pacific credit card 40K miles card offer:

https://us.cathaypacific.com/offers/credit-card ($2000 spend, 90 days)

This 40k offer expires September 30, 2020.

Print Wikipost

USA Cathay Pacific Credit card from Synchrony Bank

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: Cathay
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
If this card is just points per dollar spent then it's worthless. I already have 5 cards in my wallet that has a better earning potential than Cathay can offer, WITH bunch of other hotel/airlines/airport benefits.

If Cathay truly wants to offer a meaningful card it has to carry some extra benefits such as:

1) Extra baggage (and/or) weight allowance
2) Lounge certificates
3) At least a 3:1 AM/USD ratio for Cathay expenses, and 2:1 ratio for everything else. Anything lower than that is worthless compare to what's already out there.
4) No foreign transaction fees
5) Free internet for Cathay Pacific flights

And this is just the minimum in my opinion.
Not likely with current management. The 25K bonus is ok if the card is churnable and if its possible to apply every 8-10 days
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:50 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Link is active:

https://us.cathaypacific.com/offers/credit-card
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
So...free GR for 1 year, no FTF, $95 AF, seems like no first year waiver for that.

25,000 BONUS MILES: For new accounts only. Purchases must post to your account within 90 days of account opening to be eligible for this offer. Only one 25,000 bonus miles offer per cardholder account.
Unsure if this implies churnable or not...
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Cathay credit card: 25,000 signup bonus miles (after spending requirement). That is barely 25% of the miles needed for one-round trip ticket if you live in the east coast. Compare that to any AA credit card that gives 50,000 signup bonus miles which is 5/6 of a round-trip ticket.

2x, 1.5x, 1.5x, 1x - I already have 5 credit cards that have multiplier effects that are better and can easily be transfer to AM. They are 3x, 2x, 2x, 2x, 1x.

No foreign transaction fees - good.

Complimentary Green - don't make me laugh.

And... that's it? And they expect $95 annual fee that isn't waive the first year? Now I'm laugh out loud.

Try:

50,000 sign up bonus miles
3x, 2x, 2x, 1.5x
Complimentary Green at opening, and upgrade to Silver tier if one spends over $30,000 USD on the card per year.
Cross-Pacific flights 3rd checked bags at $75 instead of $150
Priority seat assignment regardless of fare class purchase.
First hour of internet use on Cathay Pacific aircrafts free.

That's how you win customers to your credit card. Seriously, with so many excellent points/miles cards out there does Cathay really expect a good amount of people to sign up with their crappy card at $95 a year?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:25 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
They are all gone for good now. AAdv is actually the new Skypesos because domestic inventory is zeroed out to an absorbing state for forever already
So AA members are still redeeming their miles with us http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...is-f-seat.html
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Cathay credit card: 25,000 signup bonus miles (after spending requirement). That is barely 25% of the miles needed for one-round trip ticket if you live in the east coast. Compare that to any AA credit card that gives 50,000 signup bonus miles which is 5/6 of a round-trip ticket.

2x, 1.5x, 1.5x, 1x - I already have 5 credit cards that have multiplier effects that are better and can easily be transfer to AM. They are 3x, 2x, 2x, 2x, 1x.

And... that's it? And they expect $95 annual fee that isn't waive the first year? Now I'm laugh out loud.

Try:

3x, 2x, 2x, 1.5x
Complimentary Green at opening, and upgrade to Silver tier if one spends over $30,000 USD on the card per year.

That's how you win customers to your credit card. Seriously, with so many excellent points/miles cards out there does Cathay really expect a good amount of people to sign up with their crappy card at $95 a year?
The situation is similar even in CX's hometown. The co-branded CX credit card is just not attractive enough when compared to other cards. Mileage exchange rate and AF policy, for example, are surely not the best in the market.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by percysmith
So AA members are still redeeming their miles with us http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...is-f-seat.html
Not at 67.5k anymore and not by churning (okay, there's been some activity this month and the last, but it's the exception not the norm...)
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT

Try:

3x, 2x, 2x, 1.5x

I hear your frustration, but IMHO, this may not be about winning new customers, but instead providing a new way to earn miles for already existing US-based customers...most likely they already have miles and are earning miles regularly by flying on CX and OW.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Not at 67.5k anymore and not by churning (okay, there's been some activity this month and the last, but it's the exception not the norm...)
There's still plenty of AA miles out there to burn even at 70k for J and 110k for F. I'd much rather fly CX or JL than AA.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by TWAforever
I hear your frustration, but IMHO, this may not be about winning new customers, but instead providing a new way to earn miles for already existing US-based customers...most likely they already have miles and are earning miles regularly by flying on CX and OW.
And my point is with all other better earn-rate credit cards people can easily transfer points to AM: more points, more benefits. Cathay doesn't have to beat their competition in every category but just one or two, but so far Cathay's initial offering loses to the competition in every which way.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
The elite bonuses that I get with AA and cannot get with CX still make AA a better deal (though I do use CX redemptions purely because it can be easy to get AM living in HK, though only once in a couple years, unlike AA where I can still redeem every year.)
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Sounds like nobody is getting this offer from Cathay Pacific Visa Signature® card*
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:41 pm

I did apply on 2/13, the first day. Apparently there haven't been instant approvals for this card. I have heard nothing since the app, but yesterday I did get a CreditKarma alert that I have a new account on my credit report and sure enough it is the Cathay Visa, so hopefully I will have the card soon.

I realize the reaction hasn't been very positive for the value prop of this card, but I thought I would give it a try for a year and see what happens. I will gladly receive 25,000 AM for a $95 fee.

N.B., I already have many of the US cards mentioned in this thread.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JohnGreat
Sounds like nobody is getting this offer from Cathay Pacific Visa Signature® card*
For $500 more in spending, you can get 5K more AM through Citi TY Premier without the $95 AF.

The only viable benefit of this card is the MPC GR, which you can get it for $100.

What's the point?

This card is DOA before begin.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Also, if you are a silver member but your SO is not a member at all when you book tickets together does it increase your chance of getting upgrade for both persons or is it the same as if the tickets were booked separately?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.