Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

USA Cathay Pacific Credit card from Synchrony Bank

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
USA Cathay Pacific credit card 40K miles card offer:

https://us.cathaypacific.com/offers/credit-card ($2000 spend, 90 days)

This 40k offer expires September 30, 2020.

Print Wikipost

USA Cathay Pacific Credit card from Synchrony Bank

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Anyone know what the earning rate will be? If it's just 3 AM:1 USD for CX, and 1:1 for everything else, I don't understand the point of these co-branded cards? Aren't you just better off (as a US person) having something like the Citi Prestige or Premier which also is 3:1 on branded travel, and can also transfer to AM, but ALSO transfer to a bunch of other stuff and hence is more valuable? Why would you bother getting this card except for the sign up?

I'm not the world's most experienced person with this stuff but I'm learning. Am I missing something?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Anyone know what the earning rate will be? If it's just 3 AM:1 USD for CX, and 1:1 for everything else, I don't understand the point of these co-branded cards? Aren't you just better off (as a US person) having something like the Citi Prestige or Premier which also is 3:1 on branded travel, and can also transfer to AM, but ALSO transfer to a bunch of other stuff and hence is more valuable? Why would you bother getting this card except for the sign up?

I'm not the world's most experienced person with this stuff but I'm learning. Am I missing something?
Valid point and I agree...which is why quite a few of the co-brands in the US now offer extra benefits to cardholders (i.e., lounge passes, priority boarding, free checked luggage, MQD waivers, etc.)

I hope this new card offers some extra benefits beyond standard card earnings...for example, some ideas below

- A way to earn club points by hitting spend thresholds
- extend validity of points, or points do not expire
- mileage redemption rebate
- free Marco Polo Green
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Yes, if it is just 3AM:1USD, certainly the CSR is much better, but the United cards give free silver status and extra baggage, for example. I assume the CX card will do the same in some way in order to compete. As it won't be a Chase card, I'm guessing the 5/24 rule won't apply. My guess is that it'll be something like 50K signup bonus for 3K or 5K spend, rather than AA 100K signup bonuses.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by percysmith
5 in 24 apply? If yes US applicants will only score one CX J west coast TPAC every 24 months (not every 2...)
5/24 is a Chase-specific thing, and doesn't really have anything to do with the idea of sign up bonuses every 24 months

But the sign up bonus for Citi Prestige/Premier has been dwindled down so much, and 99% of cardholders cannot churn it because of strict 24-month sign up bonus rules...that being said the earnings and benefits are far superior. But Citi Prestige(/CSR/Amex PLT etc) are $450 AF cards, doubt this CX card will command a high annual fee...so the earning of 3:1 on a low AF card would be a selling point (even the AA cards earn $1:2 Aadvantage mile max, and i think AM is quite a worthy currency too)

It's always wise to go with the four big currencies because of their flexibility and devaluation-resistance (Chase UR/Citi TYP/Amex MR/SPG)...unless the specific currency is very unique and of very high value (like AS miles )

Originally Posted by TWAforever
I hope this new card offers some extra benefits beyond standard card earnings...for example, some ideas below

- free Marco Polo Green
If there were these three I'd certainly be down!

Originally Posted by kawaii
My guess is that it'll be something like 50K signup bonus for 3K or 5K spend, rather than AA 100K signup bonuses.
The signup bonus is 25k for $2.5k spend. And AA hasn't seen 100K bonuses for years, just fyi....
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
The signup bonus is 25k for $2.5k spend. And AA hasn't seen 100K bonuses for years, just fyi....
Ah, good to know. Was the info posted already? I read the businesswire report but it didn't seem to mention any details.

I guess the last time I looked into the AA bonuses was ... 2013? So fair enough.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:46 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kawaii
Ah, good to know. Was the info posted already? I read the businesswire report but it didn't seem to mention any details.

I guess the last time I looked into the AA bonuses was ... 2013? So fair enough.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27879529-post14.html
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:49 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

It's always wise to go with the four big currencies because of their flexibility and devaluation-resistance (Chase UR/Citi TYP/Amex MR/SPG)...unless the specific currency is very unique and of very high value (like AS miles )
Not SPG anymore if they keep the current SPG to Marriott conversion rate and the Marriott points to airline miles conversion rates after the 2018 program merge. But I doubt CX is going to compete with any of these programs.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:41 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
In Canada, RBC offers the Visa Platinum Cathay Pacific card, where CX tickets purchase online gets me 2 Asia miles per 1$ dollar spent.

Page 2:

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-c...guide%20EN.pdf
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓

Don't want to look negative. It might be remotely possible that CX attempts to cut its tie with Citi (but not with AMEX for sure).

Hence the inception of the CX cobrand card.

Originally Posted by TWAforever

- free Marco Polo Green
You rather hope not.

Most of the so-called airline cobranded card benefits are the direct result when the airlines become fee-savvy.

So more card benefit = "enhancement" to the current program.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

Actually it's not 3:1. The earnings structure as follows:

CX purchases online/inflight $1:2AM
Overseas purchases $1:1.5AM
Dining $1:1.5AM
Others $1:1AM

Presumably other standard Visa Signature benefits apply. But if it's a $95 AF card, meh then.

Unless it is churnable then there's not much point in getting one...you can pick up a 25K bonus AMEX charge card without much difficulty.

As a reference point, US based people like us don't really get to 'arbitrage' that much compared to HK users as some claim here..., just look at the poor earnings structure here (compared to like Fubon and HSBC) and we always have to pay high AFs...
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
That's pretty weak.
I mean even if we value them as US 1.3cpm (= HK$0.10), that's a 1.3%, 1.95% and 2.6% rebate

Compared to CSR 4.5% on dining and travel and 1.5% on everything else. Even tho you have no AM option with Chase UR.

As a reference point, US based people like us don't really get to 'arbitrage' that much compared to HK users as some claim here..., just look at the poor earnings structure here (compared to like Fubon and HSBC) and we always have to pay high AFs...
I readily concede HK earn rates are a lot better. We're looking at 2.66/US$ for online, 2/US$ for dining, 1.6/US$ generally and we can cash out retail spending.

It was the 100K AA mile 2-month churn signup offers, along with 67.5/AA miles one-way F pricing that we here are mad about. I thought we had an end to this (it's not sustainable for the banks nor for AAdvantage).

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 11, 2017 at 6:08 am
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by percysmith
I readily conceded HK earn rates are a lot better. We're looking at 2.66/US$ for online, 2/US$ for dining, 1.6/US$ generally and we can cash out retail spending.

It was the 100K AA mile 2-month churn signup offers, along with 67.5/AA miles one-way F pricing that we here are mad about. I thought we had an end to this (it's not sustainable for the banks nor for AAdvantage).
They are all gone for good now. AAdv is actually the new Skypesos because domestic inventory is zeroed out to an absorbing state for forever already...

It's also much easier to MS in Hong Kong
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
Actually it's not 3:1. The earnings structure as follows:

Presumably other standard Visa Signature benefits apply. But if it's a $95 AF card, meh then.

Unless it is churnable then there's not much point in getting one...you can pick up a 25K bonus AMEX charge card without much difficulty.

Any other benefits for having the card, or just miles?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
If this card is just points per dollar spent then it's worthless. I already have 5 cards in my wallet that has a better earning potential than Cathay can offer, WITH bunch of other hotel/airlines/airport benefits.

If Cathay truly wants to offer a meaningful card it has to carry some extra benefits such as:

1) Extra baggage (and/or) weight allowance
2) Lounge certificates
3) At least a 3:1 AM/USD ratio for Cathay expenses, and 2:1 ratio for everything else. Anything lower than that is worthless compare to what's already out there.
4) No foreign transaction fees
5) Free internet for Cathay Pacific flights

And this is just the minimum in my opinion.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: Cathay
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
In Canada, RBC offers the Visa Platinum Cathay Pacific card, where CX tickets purchase online gets me 2 Asia miles per 1$ dollar spent.

Page 2:

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-c...guide%20EN.pdf
Didn't they offer status with MPC as well? I vaguely remember them offering this..Not too sure if it was Silver or Green.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.