Able check in all the way on two awards?

Old Feb 3, 17, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Able check in all the way on two awards?

Hi all,

So my question is this: if I book an award with Alaska miles from SYD to HKG (stop) then HKG-LAX on Cathay, and then use avios to book HKG-TPE (RT), can I check in my bags and get my connecting ticket in SYD for the first leg and in TPE for my second leg since everything is on Cathay metal? Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 17, 1:45 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I don't quite follow your itinerary but yes you will be fine to check through especially since you're on CX metal all the way. According to their policy you'd be okay even if checking through to a OW partner. It doesn't matter that you are using award tickets.
Old Feb 4, 17, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I don't understand your itinerary either. When is your TPE flight? Nevertheless, OW has stopped interlining on separate tickets, so you should work on the basis that you will have to collect and recheck your baggage in HKG. CX may oblige you, but the airline doesn't have to. You can find this on cxagents.com as well.
Old Feb 4, 17, 2:20 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I don't understand your itinerary either. When is your TPE flight? Nevertheless, OW has stopped interlining on separate tickets, so you should work on the basis that you will have to collect and recheck your baggage in HKG. CX may oblige you, but the airline doesn't have to. You can find this on cxagents.com as well.
CX has said they will specifically interline with separate tickets. They always would between CX/KA and then specifically back tracked that they would check through to other OW airlines if they were the ones doing the checking in. More info in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...rate-pnrs.html
Old Feb 4, 17, 2:23 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I think his effective itinerary looks like this:

SYD-HKG-TPE, then TPE-HKG-LAX.

This is booked as SYD-HKG-LAX on one ticket (presumably Alaska reward), and then HKG-TPE round-trip (Avios reward). So he's basically asking can he check in for the HKG-TPE sector in SYD, and the HKG-LAX sector in TPE

Correct me if wrong.

If me reading into the OP's post is correct, then the answer on both counts is yes. It might take a minute or two extra but no big deal. Otherwise, please confirm what you mean.
Old Feb 4, 17, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
I think his effective itinerary looks like this:

SYD-HKG-TPE, then TPE-HKG-LAX.

This is booked as SYD-HKG-LAX on one ticket (presumably Alaska reward), and then HKG-TPE round-trip (Avios reward). So he's basically asking can he check in for the HKG-TPE sector in SYD, and the HKG-LAX sector in TPE

Correct me if wrong.

If me reading into the OP's post is correct, then the answer on both counts is yes. It might take a minute or two extra but no big deal. Otherwise, please confirm what you mean.
yes that's exactly what I mean. Awesome to get confirmation that it's CX's policy to do this on their own metal. I assumed that would be the case but wasn't sure and didn't want to risk having to pick up bags in Hkg both ways and missing my connecting flight.

Excited to maximize Alaska's award chart and stop over policy.
Old Feb 4, 17, 10:19 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I could be wrong but think there's a system limitation that bags can't go through the same airport twice - for all airlines.

So while CX could/would check trough on separate tickets in general, the system will probably not be able to route through HKG twice.

Edit: read the whole thread now. If it's Just about checking through SYD-HKG-TPE, and then separately, TPE-HKG-XXX at a later time, then there shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 5, 17, 1:13 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by jagmeets View Post
I could be wrong but think there's a system limitation that bags can't go through the same airport twice - for all airlines.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 5, 17, 4:15 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Well, I was wrong- thanks Mr Smith- Very interesting!

Something new to learn .. I've said what I did, a few times, after reading somewhere on flyertalk!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: