Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Received an SMS flight will be delayed, can I checkin late?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

I was informed via SMS that flight will be delayed by 45min. Can I check in 45min before the new departure time or should it be still before the original departure time?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No. Check-in deadline is still based on the original departure time.

Check-in after this deadline is basically YMMV.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:53 am
Original Poster

I received a new ticket with the new departure time. So I think I can go to the airport a little late?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by boybi
I received a new ticket with the new departure time. So I think I can go to the airport a little late?
Ticket or boarding pass?

If ticket, that means it is a schedule change. Then you should be fine.

If BP, I will stick with the original time just in case.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Ticket or boarding pass?

If ticket, that means it is a schedule change. Then you should be fine.

If BP, I will stick with the original time just in case.
It's a new ticket. And yes it was a schedule change.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
On a different subject, im bloody annoyed cx now always trap pax in plane before announcing delay.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
On a different subject, im bloody annoyed cx now always trap pax in plane before announcing delay.
I know PRC ATC prioritises flights on doors close, but HKG also?

Code:
https://www.facebook.com/SpringAirlinesHK/posts/688764404482817
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:09 am

Im guessing you're referring to china ATC delays. The process works by the pilots calling ATC for an airways clearance. Once received and when the aircraft is fully loaded and ready to go, the pilots will request permission to depart. Only then will ATC check with Guangzhou (or the relevant ATC unit) for release.

Sometimes there is no delay and off you go, or ATC will get you a slot time to depart or worst case they advise "delay undetermined". When its the latter, cx/ka can now delay boarding for subsequent flights etc until slot times get announced. The main problem is that ATC will only check for release when the aircraft is ready to go, and thus we only find out when we're all "trapped onboard"
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhyq
Im guessing you're referring to china ATC delays. The process works by the pilots calling ATC for an airways clearance. Once received and when the aircraft is fully loaded and ready to go, the pilots will request permission to depart. Only then will ATC check with Guangzhou (or the relevant ATC unit) for release.

Sometimes there is no delay and off you go, or ATC will get you a slot time to depart or worst case they advise "delay undetermined". When its the latter, cx/ka can now delay boarding for subsequent flights etc until slot times get announced. The main problem is that ATC will only check for release when the aircraft is ready to go, and thus we only find out when we're all "trapped onboard"
no im talking about southbound flights
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:16 am

no im talking about southbound flights
its the same process in china too
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhyq
its the same process in china too
but u dont need china atc approvals for sb flights
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:23 am

but u dont need china atc approvals for sb flights
these approvals come from GZ, Shanghai or Beijing ATC units, so they control the slots into and out of their airspace and thus the airports within those regions. It's the same people who decide when you can come in as well as when you can leave again.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:47 am
Original Poster

I too was 'trapped' in my flights to and from XMN a few days ago. Outbound flight, pilot announced a 1hr delay, we started taxiing after 30min and was airborne in around 15min.

XMN-HKG, delayed more than 1hr while inside aircraft, the FAs started serving the meals for the Y pax while we're still parked. J meals were served after take off.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a new ticket. And yes it was a schedule change.
FWIW - it is not a delay at all.

Unless Hong Kong passes a tarmac delay law or similar, this will continue to happen.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
I was informed via SMS that flight will be delayed by 45min. Can I check in 45min before the new departure time or should it be still before the original departure time?
I don't know others' experience but for me, if I get that SMS and unless I'm already on way to airport I 100% will go check-in based on the revised departure time and so far missed no flight

Of course if you are in PVG and telling you your flight will be 45 minutes late, do continue to go to the airport and try to grab an earlier departure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.