Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

business class lounge pass on ID ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

business class lounge pass on ID ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:01 am
wkc

For avoidance of doubt, this comes straight from CX's intranet:

Use of Lounges
Lounge Access
It is Cathay Pacific Airways policy that when travelling on a Business Class or First Class ID ticket the passenger will NOT normally have access to Cathay Pacific's designated airport lounges (both own and 3rd party).

However, by virtue of their status, MPO and oneworld status card holders travelling on non-revenue tickets are allowed into CX/KA lounges (not 3rd party lounges) when travelling on CX/KA flights. The normal lounge entry policies will apply for them based on their card status.

CX/KA First Class Lounge Access when travelling on CX/KA flights – all DMP/DM/IN/oneworld Emerald status as well as First Class boarding card holders that have oneworld Sapphire, MPO Gold, MPO Gold (Cargo Clan Elite) or MPO Silver status..

CX/KA Business Class Lounge Access when travelling on CX/KA flights – all oneworld Sapphire, MPO Gold, MPO Gold (Cargo Clan Elite) or MPO Silver status, regardless of travel class.

Aside from lounge access set out above, holders of such membership status cards will however be expected to adhere to all other requirements of the Staff Travel policy. This includes dress standards, class of travel and baggage requirements etc.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
thank you Doraemat and wkc. Indeed that is the response that I received after I emailed MPC.

Let's see how it really works out on the day itself!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I just want to update you on how everything went.

When online check-in opened for CX695, I went online, checked myself in and then claimed the lounge pass. I just had to input my friend's PNR and the website confirmed with a code given. I gave this code to my friend for his documentation.

Fast forward at Check-in A at HKG, my friend tried to check-in at 2pm (flight is at 5pm) and check-in agent said it's still too early for him to check-in. Advised to come back at 3.30pm. So we hung around till 3.30pm and came back to Check-in A. Was told that my friend got a seat but he can't print the boarding pass for whatever reason. Finally got the boarding pass for my friend at 3.50pm but no lounge invitation was given.

Since it was already quite late, we just rushed to the Pier lounge (our flight was leaving from gate 67). Luckily both of us have e-channel registered passports so we were able to complete security and immigration in less than 10 mins. Took the train and arrived at The Pier around 4.15pm.

Gave our BPs to the lounge dragon and that's it. When I asked the lounge dragon, she said "your guest is traveling on staff ID, correct? And you claimed the lounge pass for him. I can see it here in the system. Please enjoy the lounge". We were both able to go in and enjoy a glass of champagne before leaving the lounge again because boarding already started.

So there you go. No problem at all redeeming lounge pass for guest on staff ID ticket. However, just like QRC3288 already mentioned, I suspected the check-in staff held the boarding pass for as long as he/she can. Hence, our experience at the lounge was not optimal.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by rienhart87
However, just like QRC3288 already mentioned, I suspected the check-in staff held the boarding pass for as long as he/she can. Hence, our experience at the lounge was not optimal.
They do not release seats for ID until the very last minute
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
that particular flight was not full as I saw some empty seats during the flight. we checked the load at 3PM and it showed Y >10. the check-in agent also said that my friend will get the seat. he just can't give him the boarding pass. I guess it's rule of the game at CX
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
nah, I'd say most often this actually isn't the case.

sometimes BPs are issued 24 hours in advance for ID passengers. Other times, guys can collect them at the A counter upon arrival. These two are definitely over 50% of the time.

It's route and timing dependent, but as a rough rule I'd say 25% of the time they get their BPs before arriving at the airport, another 25-40% of the time they have to get them at the A desk but well before the cutoff, and 35-50% of the time at the last minute.

I will add, ID passengers can have their boarding passes taken back from them even after early issuance. This happens most often in the case of unexpected flight cancellations or extended delays that have spillover effects onto otherwise empty flights.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by QRC3288
nah, I'd say most often this actually isn't the case.

sometimes BPs are issued 24 hours in advance for ID passengers. Other times, guys can collect them at the A counter upon arrival. These two are definitely over 50% of the time.

It's route and timing dependent, but as a rough rule I'd say 25% of the time they get their BPs before arriving at the airport, another 25-40% of the time they have to get them at the A desk but well before the cutoff, and 35-50% of the time at the last minute.

I will add, ID passengers can have their boarding passes taken back from them even after early issuance. This happens most often in the case of unexpected flight cancellations or extended delays that have spillover effects onto otherwise empty flights.
Again, QRC3288 is correct - if the loading is quite light, ID pax would be able to check in up to 24 hours before the time of departure (ie: 24 hours after revenue passengers) - but this does not allow you to print your boarding pass as it would if you are a revenue pax.

You would then be able to collect your boarding pass at the airport.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Another vote for QRC3288 being 100% correct.

For total clarification, here is the actual CX lounge guide (noting this applies ONLY to CX owned and operated lounges).

Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: SPG Plat, iHG Spire, JGC Diamond
So ID tickets holder can be guest in lounges
but cant enter lounge even if they have diamond member status?

What about priority pass?
Lots of credit cards provides prestige membership of priority pass,
can CX staff enter lounge with ID tickets?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:21 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Robbie0129
So ID tickets holder can be guest in lounges
but cant enter lounge even if they have diamond member status?
This is wrong. If the ID ticket holder has their own status, they can enter the lounge.

What about priority pass?
Lots of credit cards provides prestige membership of priority pass,
can CX staff enter lounge with ID tickets?
I'm pretty sure if they have a priority pass, they can enter the lounge. PP doesn't really care about how you got your ticket, only that the lounge is going to charge them for the entry.

I know if a EK staff member who travels on EK ID tickets, and he definitely gets into priority pass lounges.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:58 am

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/conditions-of-use

Heres a quote from the official site

18. Admittance to lounges is strictly subject to cardholders and any guests, if permitted, being in possession of a valid flight ticket and travel documents for the same day of travel. Airline, airport and other travel industry employees traveling on reduced-rate tickets may not be eligible for access.

I'm sure they have similar rules for CX lounges
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:09 am

I'm sure they have similar rules for CX lounges
Ha mate, you're just making stuff up! Can you just scroll up and read the thread you're posting to? CX does not have a "similar" rule; what you're "sure" of is, in fact, totally incorrect.

No offense here or anything...it's just the obvious posting of incorrect information is a detriment to the forum. At least read a few posts above where you're posting.

What you're inferring is blatantly contradicted by the remainder of this thread. Just read the thread!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

CX has a notoriously toxic culture towards how CX treats their fellow ID ticket-holders, particularly younger ones. Both at the check-in process and on-board. It's bizarre and a terrible reflection on the entire company's culture, but that's just how they do it...and I'll let other smarter posters than me opine.
yes i have always wondered why that is the case? jealousy? but jealous of what?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:43 am

Ha mate, you're just making stuff up! Can you just scroll up and read the thread you're posting to? CX does not have a "similar" rule; what you're "sure" of is, in fact, totally incorrect.

No offense here or anything...it's just the obvious posting of incorrect information is a detriment to the forum. At least read a few posts above where you're posting.

What you're inferring is blatantly contradicted by the remainder of this thread. Just read the thread!
Sorry im not making stuff up, i start to use CX id tickets last year and i still have MPC gold status, i have enter the lounge for a few times already until my last travel the door man stops me and told me id tickets are not allowed.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:52 pm

Sorry im not making stuff up, i start to use CX id tickets last year and i still have MPC gold status, i have enter the lounge for a few times already until my last travel the door man stops me and told me id tickets are not allowed.
What lounge? I am certain CX permits status holders on ID tickets to use their lounges. For all CX-operated lounges there shouldn't be a problem. Technically, you could run into a problem at a non-CX operated lounge, because some other airlines don't permit ID holders in. Was this possibly the case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.