Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Dragon 3 Class A330 Sold as 2 Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver

I have an upcoming flight on a 3 Class Dragon A330, that is being sold as a 2 class.

It appears as if the first class cabin (rows 1 and 2) is being allocated to business, and the business class mini cabin (rows 16-18) is being allocated to economy, but all seats in both cabins appear to be blocked. See below for how the flight appears

I am a OneWorld Emerald member in economy (revenue ticket). Is there any way I can get CX/KA to assign seats in rows 16-18?

Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
You will be able to select them at olci
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Ausriver
You will be able to select them at olci
Can you select at OLCI? I only had that once with KA's A330, and they assigned me a J seat a few days in advance.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Here is something interesting about this type aircract- I can pre-select 16-18 rows via CX app but it doesn't work on CX website.
I was also told by a KA crew that those seats will be assigned to elite members when they checkin in the airport. However, I don't know if "elite" includes OWE/OWS... CX elite or even green would have priority to get them.
ktheflyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:41 am

I am looking at a trip that includes a CX 77W on HKG-SGN that shows an F cabin but F is not for sale and F seats show as blocked. Will these be available for J class passengers at OLCI ?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
I am looking at a trip that includes a CX 77W on HKG-SGN that shows an F cabin but F is not for sale and F seats show as blocked. Will these be available for J class passengers at OLCI ?
I think CX controls Y seated in J and J seated in F etc.,until the passenger arrives at the airport. The strange thing is that I once got assigned J as Y days ahead of time.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:38 pm

I've been on those flights about 20 times and I always suggest my relatives booking on those flights (KA621 in particular).
So out of about 40 of those flights with SL, GO and DM status,

as DM, every single time, I would be able to select the row 16-18 seats as Y or the F seats as J at OLCI. However, there are couple of times that KA decided to close off the whole section and "downgrade" me back to the proper J & Y section. One of them was with full J cabin.

For GO, I felt the treatment for selecting those seats are about the same as DM.

For SL, some times you can't select those seats at OLCI, however, as long as the F/J section is open, you will get a seat in those section at airport check in. Well, there are 18 J seats for Y pax, normally HGH-HKG doesn't have that many elite pax in Y anyway.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:25 am

Can we start a wiki with all such flights?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Can we start a wiki with all such flights?
Those are for sure best flights for MPC elite flying KA. Most of those flights are very short haul, a guaranteed J seat with a Y ticket. And most of the time, this mini Y service J seat cabin is quite and relatively empty.

KA620/621 started to have this configuration at 50% chances about a year ago and now it seems to be 100% with this F cabin KA flight.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
What A330 config is this? It doesn't match up to any of KA's published seat maps. It's flying HKG-HKT.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
What A330 config is this? It doesn't match up to any of KA's published seat maps. It's flying HKG-HKT.
That is CX's 33P but they are transferring some A330's over to KA.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Ok, makes sense, didn't think to look at CX's maps. Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: GGLfL
My upcoming HKG-HAN flight has the 3 class A330 sold as 2. We are booked in J. I managed to move us to 1D and 1G on the CX app. Are we likely to get seat-shifted as some point, and should we stick with a pair in the J cabin? Or if the seats stick up to the point of OLCI , are we likely to be left there? Both OWE (BA Gold) if it makes any difference.

Last edited by MrSimonR; Jun 20, 2018 at 3:58 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
My upcoming HKG-HAN flight has the 3 class A330 sold as 2. We are booked in J. I managed to move us to 1D and 1G on the CX app. Are we likely to get seat-shifted as some point, and should we stick with a pair in the J cabin? Or if the seats stick up to the point of OLCI , are we likely to be left there? Both OWE (BA Gold) if it makes any difference.

My personal experience on a XMN - HKG flight was that I was able to select 1A on CX app with a J ticket and then I did online check in. At airport they just print out my boarding pass without asking anything. Then at boarding gate when they scan my boarding pass the agent looked quite surprised but let me go anyways. And then at airport door the crew show me to my seat and I was the only one sitting there. The rest of J passengers were all on the J cabin - the flight was not full.

The other time, also XMN - HKG, I was op-up from Y to J and allocated to the F seat.

So I guess there is no explicit rule on how to treat these area but if the ground crew decided to keep that section open you will be able to sit there, even when the flight is not full.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by MrSimonR

As xuukgo says above, you should be fine. OW status is what helped that zone become available to you. I don't see them bumping people out of there once they assign seats, and I see 3 class KA planes flying as 2 classes with fairly normal regularity - call it 4-5x annually. I think you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.