Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Dragon 3 Class A330 Sold as 2 Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Dragon 3 Class A330 Sold as 2 Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Lumpster
This is a useful thread - thanks. We are a family of 5 flying on KA692 from Penang to HK in business class in very early August as part of a Far East holiday with a few CX flights - it seems the aircraft has been switched from a 2-class A330 to a 3-class A330. We now find ourselves with a choice of only 4 rows in the forward business class cabin on the Cathay Pacific website/app, of which a lot of the seats seem to be unavailable for selection as they are already taken or else are designated as 'priority' seats. Based on the posts in this thread, I won't expect an upgrade to First and it seems there's a reasonable chance that the back portion of the business class cabin will remain empty - so my expectations have been set low! One question - how good is Cathay / Cathay Dragon at honouring seat assignments - i.e. if I have selected seats together in advance, what are the chances of us being moved from these by the time we check in assuming no change of equipment type?
You should be able to select the priority seats. If you can't do it on the app, try the website.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Lumpster
This is a useful thread - thanks. We are a family of 5 flying on KA692 from Penang to HK in business class in very early August as part of a Far East holiday with a few CX flights - it seems the aircraft has been switched from a 2-class A330 to a 3-class A330. We now find ourselves with a choice of only 4 rows in the forward business class cabin on the Cathay Pacific website/app, of which a lot of the seats seem to be unavailable for selection as they are already taken or else are designated as 'priority' seats. Based on the posts in this thread, I won't expect an upgrade to First and it seems there's a reasonable chance that the back portion of the business class cabin will remain empty - so my expectations have been set low! One question - how good is Cathay / Cathay Dragon at honouring seat assignments - i.e. if I have selected seats together in advance, what are the chances of us being moved from these by the time we check in assuming no change of equipment type?

If KA/CX decided to close off the front section, which they decide based on loading, then it doesn’t matter what your previous seat selection was, you will be moved back to the regular business class section.

However if the front section is open, your seat selection is not likely to be moved.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
a friend recently called the Marco Polo hotline, he was informed it's really blocked for DM members. Not sure if it's just fluff...
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
a friend recently called the Marco Polo hotline, he was informed it's really blocked for DM members. Not sure if it's just fluff...
I was told the same thing (DM only) on a HKG-CAN flight in Feb., although I was booked in M class and only got a membership anniversary upgrade, so a J seat was already better than what I booked.

I wonder if it may be flight-specific depending on how many GOs there are in J. Say if there are 8 F seats, and there are 4 DMs and 6 GOs, with more than 4 seats available. In this case, KA can afford to leave 4 seats unoccupied to make sure all GOs are treated equally, whereas if the total number of DMs and GOs is less than 8 or if they need all seats occupied, they would be more willing to let GOs or even SLs be seated in F.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I was told the same thing (DM only) on a HKG-CAN flight in Feb., although I was booked in M class and only got a membership anniversary upgrade, so a J seat was already better than what I booked.

I wonder if it may be flight-specific depending on how many GOs there are in J. Say if there are 8 F seats, and there are 4 DMs and 6 GOs, with more than 4 seats available. In this case, KA can afford to leave 4 seats unoccupied to make sure all GOs are treated equally, whereas if the total number of DMs and GOs is less than 8 or if they need all seats occupied, they would be more willing to let GOs or even SLs be seated in F.
And even OWE may choose those seats as well now... It is a little unfair for GO....
I used to be able to select those seats as a SL, and now I am unable to select as a GO...... Good job CX
Jackolee likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: CX/Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I'm CX Silver and contacted CX via Messenger to secure 1A for my flight KA620 operated by 3-class A330. The CX staff on facebook selected the seat immediately after I provided my ticket info. BTW it's a BA award ticket and I attached the ticket to my MPC account on CX website.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by mlxgzzz
I'm CX Silver and contacted CX via Messenger to secure 1A for my flight KA620 operated by 3-class A330. The CX staff on facebook selected the seat immediately after I provided my ticket info. BTW it's a BA award ticket and I attached the ticket to my MPC account on CX website.
indeed.

I doubt this will happen to you, but heads up...I've had a previously-assigned? passenger demanding my seat on that return flight, KA621. I had nothing to do with the seat swap; when I arrived at the airport, HGH ground had stuck me and my traveling companies (one is DM, the other was on a cash ticket) in the "F" cabin, as they do almost without fail if the plane is 33R.

I was given 1K and the pax came by says it was his seat, but didn't produce a BP. I've seen this movie before I assume the guy is mistaken. Call the FAs over. Confirm it's my seat in the manifest. Ask for the passenger's BP. He eventually pulls out BP with a seat farther back in J. He says his BP is a mistake (??) and actually 1K is his seat, he is now fumbling through his phone for confirmation. Crew confirm his name, seat # aligns with seat farther back in J and mine in 1K, they go by what the manifest says and move him along. Solved. I'm not 100% what happened, but unless the guy was totally a crazy guy, my best guess is he probably selected that seat during OLCI or earlier somehow, but HGH ground staff swapped him out. I've flown this route 6-8x a year for the last decade and usually take that flight, for years call it 2015-2018 it was being served by 33R almost daily sold as 2-class. It is less predictable lately. And I actually don't even think as a DM I haven't flown in the "F" section on KA621! Despite never booking that F section in advance.

That front cabin is very specific to the ground staff. HKIA is less personal IME and I don't think "booting" people happens, at least not that I know of. But at certain outports (HGH being one) they are pretty good about reserving it for Diamonds, and I suspect they boot people out if bookings have been made. Last year I saw an almost identical situation to the one I experienced with the passenger in 1A this time. I was in 2A. Another pax comes along claiming 1A was his seat but boarding pass is for farther back, guy in 1A is Diamond, DM's boarding pass and name is on the manifest confirmed by crew. Crew go by manifest. Pissed off passenger is led farther back to normal J. I am speculating but what I think happens in those situations is the seat is somehow booked earlier by Passenger 1, and then changed by airport control to Passenger 2.

I think at HKIA, this situation is far less likely to happen.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: CX/Marriott
Originally Posted by QRC3288
indeed....
I can't attach the screenshoot of my chat with CX Messenger staff and my BP since I don't have >5 posts on FT yet. On another forum I saw MPC Gold said that these F seats are open to GO and DM members online in Manage Booking and those seats are reserved exclusively for those high tier members. I'm not confirming on this as I'm not GO. To be honest I was just trying to see if I can select one of them and surprisingly it works for me. I do believe that I would be moved to J seat if a DM wanted 1A, but fortunately I was able to fly 1A on that specific day. It was a relief for me after a 16 hour flight with a bad cold.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by mlxgzzz
I can't attach the screenshoot of my chat with CX Messenger staff and my BP since I don't have >5 posts on FT yet. On another forum I saw MPC Gold said that these F seats are open to GO and DM members online in Manage Booking and those seats are reserved exclusively for those high tier members. I'm not confirming on this as I'm not GO. To be honest I was just trying to see if I can select one of them and surprisingly it works for me. I do believe that I would be moved to J seat if a DM wanted 1A, but fortunately I was able to fly 1A on that specific day. It was a relief for me after a 16 hour flight with a bad cold.
Well, my advise would be, do OLCI when it is T-48, print the boarding pass or save it as pdf or on your phone, and then at the airport, make sure they give you a boarding pass with the right seat. If they don't, you have the electronic boarding pass to argue with them. If you don't have checked bag, maybe you can bypass the counter, but if you got swapped out, they would probably stop you at the gate and assign you a new seat. At that point, it may be more difficult to argue with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.