Wiki Posts
Search

SL upgrading to GO with 15 pt short?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
SL upgrading to GO with 15 pt short?

MPC just upgraded my girlfriend from SL to GO at 585 club points, without asking her permission.

She's still got 3 months to go with her SL year ending end of March, and we intentionally leaving it 15 pt short as there will be no up coming flights for her until early March.

The last flight she took was early Nov and it seems the upgrade happened some time around Xmas.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
My dad too was upgraded from SL to GO this past year. IIRC he was sitting at 550 club points or so, and had the return leg of a KUL-SFO R fare to fly before his membership year was set to end. Most of his points that year came from a couple of KUL-North America D fares, which I suspect was the motivation for the upgrade.

No one had any idea of the upgrade--CX didn't e-mail him, and he was traveling in SFO at the time and didn't get the new membership card in the mail--until he and my mom (both presumably SL/Ruby) were booking an AA flight. My mom asked me, why can we choose Main Cabin Extra seats for free (they're only free for Sapphire and above), to which I was a little puzzled, but chalked it up to AA's incompetent IT. Only after they did OLCI and got a BP with "Sapphire" on it did I/we realize what happened!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:06 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Ausriver
MPC just upgraded my girlfriend from SL to GO at 585 club points, without asking her permission.

She's still got 3 months to go with her SL year ending end of March, and we intentionally leaving it 15 pt short as there will be no up coming flights for her until early March.

The last flight she took was early Nov and it seems the upgrade happened some time around Xmas.
This early upgrade can also be annoying for some as it is essentially shortening your status period. In your case you could be potentially losing 3 months of lounge access: when you are silver and still flying CX, you get lounge access. Now that you got upgraded you now only get 12 more months of lounge access instead of 15, in the case that you don't fly enough to get silver in the new membership year.

CX should really get rid of this membership year reset.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This has been happening quite often from chatting with friends and business acquaintances. Seems like a definitive policy from CX's end to upgrade early to GO.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
I'm not holding my breath but I would not mind if CX maintains my SL status Currently I am at 110 points, I have planned two trips (PVG-HKG-DEL return and PVG-HKG-AMS, MAD-HKG-PVG) which will only bring me to 280 points by the end of my membership year (May)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
This early upgrade can also be annoying for some as it is essentially shortening your status period. In your case you could be potentially losing 3 months of lounge access: when you are silver and still flying CX, you get lounge access. Now that you got upgraded you now only get 12 more months of lounge access instead of 15, in the case that you don't fly enough to get silver in the new membership year.

CX should really get rid of this membership year reset.

You are absolutely right. We planed for her to become a GO in Mar, she doesn't fly before that and there is no point to become a GO for three months that she doesn't fly at all. And she doesn't fly that much so keep GO is not easy for her, shorten the reset date 3 months earlier will make it extremely difficult for her to maintain GO.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
not to mention they do hard landing to green if u dont fly enuf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.