FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Credit card Asia Miles earning opportunities (HK) 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1812080-credit-card-asia-miles-earning-opportunities-hk-2017-a.html)

hubestar Jan 6, 2017 2:00 pm

What card offers best $/AM for HK online spend? Is it the CCB Eye card offering $3/AM? Is there a monthly or annual cap for this card?

Thanks!

percysmith Jan 6, 2017 6:09 pm

hubestar: yes
$75,000 annual cap

FlyMileToHeaven Jan 6, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi, in relation to the "sticky" which says:

"6. Citibank Premiermiles (>=$20K per billing cycle) - 1 mile per $3 spent (no redemption fee)"

Isn't that limited to Overseas and Online Foreign Currency spending, with local spending at $8 per mile? I'm looking at the website here:

https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...miles-card.htm

hubestar Jan 6, 2017 7:47 pm

Yes, $3 per AM for overseas (excluding China/RMB) and online foreign currency spending (excluding China/RMB)

sxc Jan 7, 2017 9:49 pm

Change to Citibank Prestige 4th night free offer

I noticed this on the Citibank Prestige T&C. I haven't received anything in the mail / email about this as far as I remember:

b. For reservations made on or after March 15, 2017, Principal Cardholder will receive a statement credit based on the average nightly rate (excludes taxes) of the first four-night stay in the same hotel property, upon booking by the Citi Prestige Concierge for consecutive four nights. Hotel imposed fees and incidental guest charges are the Principal Cardholder’s responsibility.
So therefore, as per the US Citi Prestige card, the 4th night free will now be a 25% rebate excluding taxes which sometimes might be in your favour, and sometimes not. I'm not sure if the reference to "reservations made on or after 15 March" means the stay is after 15 March, but my interpretation is that you can make reservations before 15 March for subsequent stays, and the old rules will apply.

theworld Jan 7, 2017 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 27723513)
I noticed this on the Citibank Prestige T&C. I haven't received anything in the mail / email about this as far as I remember:

So therefore, as per the US Citi Prestige card, the 4th night free will now be a 25% rebate excluding taxes which sometimes might be in your favour, and sometimes not. I'm not sure if the reference to "reservations made on or after 15 March" means the stay is after 15 March, but my interpretation is that you can make reservations before 15 March for subsequent stays, and the old rules will apply.

Yes, so like the US update. This isn't so good really, because at present the rebate was including all taxes and fees, now its an average, excluding taxes.

The value of the HK version of this card keeps on diminishing every year. I've kept it this year, but doubt will carry on further than this year. Basically all you are getting now is HK$2.5k for 20k AM or Avios. The other benefits have diminished greatly, especially the concierge and the 4th night free. I do need to weigh in the yearly bonus (about 15% which I get, but at the moment the card is now pretty much just for foreign and online spend only).

theworld Jan 8, 2017 5:11 pm

Following on from discussions last year on car excess insurance:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27550248-post1157.html

I've started a separate thread on the HK forum, as would be interested on options:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...l#post27727678

ppr992 Jan 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 27717678)
hubestar: yes
$75,000 annual cap

is there an annual cap for instant travel club?

percysmith Jan 13, 2017 8:56 pm

$50,000

Also today is last day of CCB CUP Winter promo and phase 2 of CCB 939 Nov 16-Feb 17.

theworld Jan 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Just want to get some clarity on CCB Eye card

HK online / Paywave spend is HK$3 per 1 AM with a yearly cap of HKD75k (running from 1 Jan to 31 Dec).

Overseas spend (i.e. non HKD) either online or physical card transaction (not inclusive of Paywave) AND HK online travel (travel agent, airline, etc) is HK$2.14 per 1 AM with a yearly cap of HKD50k (running from 1 Jan to 31 Dec) AND you have to sign up to Instant Travel Club.

Are the two spending caps exclusive of each other?

Thanks!

percysmith Jan 17, 2017 12:50 am

No. Think of the eye $2.14/AM as multipliers

Basic 1X = $15/AM. Covers all spending charged to the card, even bill payment
Extra 2X ("3X") for Instant Travel Club (cap $50,000 per cardmembership year)
Extra 4X ("5X") for online/paywave/instalment (cap $75,000 for 2017 calendar year, have to be renewed every year

Total = 7X
15/7 = 2.14/AM

theworld Jan 17, 2017 1:16 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 27773729)
No. Think of the eye $2.14/AM as multipliers

Basic 1X = $15/AM. Covers all spending charged to the card, even bill payment
Extra 2X ("3X") for Instant Travel Club (cap $50,000 per cardmembership year)
Extra 4X ("5X") for online/paywave/instalment (cap $75,000 for 2017 calendar year, have to be renewed every year

Total = 7X
15/7 = 2.14/AM

OK, thanks, that makes sense then. So to achieve 2.14/AM when abroad you have to use paywave?

percysmith Jan 17, 2017 1:30 am

theworld: yes

hubestar Jan 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Just realized that I had to convert points to AM by end-January for the Fubon Platinum card. Any other credit cards with required annual conversion?

sxc Jan 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 27723513)

Received notification of changes in the mail but it was slightly misleading. It said that the 4th night free benefit remains but in the fine print it says refer to the T&C for changes.

The T&C also say that you can't break a stay with just one night in order to get two lots of the benefit anymore.