Wiki Posts
Search

CX New strategy rollout in 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 8:56 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Aus106080
Do not think LCC will provide movenpick.
http://widgets.jetstar.com/au/en/wha...C1CD6D546.ashx
Attached Images  
Old May 19, 2017, 9:25 pm

but you need to pay for that.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Aus106080
but you need to pay for that.
At least it can be provided.

I noticed UO will sell blankets for $110 on-board http://www.hkexpress.com/en-hk/learn/inflight-product . CX cannot provide blankets whether charged or not.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
I wonder how could CX fill up it's Y cabin if they introduce LCC and restore its mainline to "premium". CX is already charging less and less for its Y fare, sometimes as low as LCC counterparts. I have strong reservation on its loading if it gets "premium" again.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by SLGO
I wonder how could CX fill up it's Y cabin if they introduce LCC and restore its mainline to "premium". CX is already charging less and less for its Y fare, sometimes as low as LCC counterparts. I have strong reservation on its loading if it gets "premium" again.
Well CX has expanded its capacity to the point where I suspect there aren't enough premium passengers to hold a high average price per seat mile - hence the massive amount of transfer traffic. So refreshing the product and restoring it to "premium" may not be a feasible option as that involves shrinking. That's not something the average board and CEO of a listed co. will consider unless they're in serious distress, which CX is not.

If KA has lower unit costs, they could reshuffle capacity by offloading low yield routes there - one suspects this is why KUL is now served by KA, not CX.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
At least it can be provided.

I noticed UO will sell blankets for $110 on-board http://www.hkexpress.com/en-hk/learn/inflight-product . CX cannot provide blankets whether charged or not.
Do you think UO will be able to handle if all passenger request (not in advance)? You can always think cx is just like LCC . However, I think most of us will agree cx is not so premium now but it is still better than LCC.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
CX is still a premium / full service airline. But in some areas it's starting to edge in the BA direction: we will give you rubbish for free ....so in the future they may make you pay for something semi decent.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by KACommuter
Well CX has expanded its capacity to the point where I suspect there aren't enough premium passengers to hold a high average price per seat mile - hence the massive amount of transfer traffic. So refreshing the product and restoring it to "premium" may not be a feasible option as that involves shrinking. That's not something the average board and CEO of a listed co. will consider unless they're in serious distress, which CX is not.

If KA has lower unit costs, they could reshuffle capacity by offloading low yield routes there - one suspects this is why KUL is now served by KA, not CX.
The age of premium airlines is over. I agree that if CX set up own LCC , CX will even lose more client, similar to what SIA is facing now. Its LCC subsidiary get profit, but the mainline SQ lose even more. A lot aviation analysts comment CX should follow what SIA is doing. However the market do not think so. Stock performance for CX and SIA, is just similar and poor.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:09 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Cathay Pacific to sack 600 staff amid major restructure
http://sc.mp/4cKQXM
Old May 21, 2017, 1:27 pm

Their business class food has gone rapidly downhill for the last few years. It's gotten to the point of bring your own or order their "hamburger" (on some routes), as it's the only thing that is remotely edible.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Exodus

Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific to sack 600 staff amid major restructure
Sources tell the Post 190 management jobs will go immediately, with 400 non-management staff to follow by the middle of next month – the biggest round of cuts at the airline for 20 years
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...aff-amid-major
Old May 21, 2017, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Given their recent earnings report, not surprised. They are being hit all around by the Asia LCCs and the like. Hopefully their business class prices start falling more in line with what the competitors charge. Given the decrease in deep cleaning and the decrease in service, hopefully the prices fall next.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Such a same to read this. CX had a lot going on for them, the most important was the word of mouth, how people use to talk about CX and how it was an amazing flight experience. This is something that is priceless to companies. It's a shame to see how their management did not adjust to change in market and therefore lost any competitive advantage they had.

It use to be a joy to get on a CX flight- Wonderful soft and hard product. But the soft product is subpar lately, the hard product is outdated and no longer cost efficient for customers to choose CX over AA.

Truth be told- on Friday- I am taking AA LAX-HKG in J, a route I would normally take on CX- But I dare anyone to challenge that AA is worse than CX-

AA Food quality has improved, they offer mattress pads (CX Does not), PJ's and a decent amenity kit. All for a better price.

I will obviously have a better opinion next week when I complete my leg- But AA IMO is a better option, CX should have never let this happen and they have to stop blaming the fuel storage issue.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific to sack 600 staff amid major restructure
Sources tell the Post 190 management jobs will go immediately, with 400 non-management staff to follow by the middle of next month – the biggest round of cuts at the airline for 20 years
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...aff-amid-major
The SCMP article stated "[l]osses have mounted due to cheaper airfares and a slump in the number of passengers travelling in business class."

It's my opinion, but I think getting rid of "Premium economy" is the key to profits. Econ, Biz, and F. Anything Y+ never cuts it, a history of destroying an airline business, why would anyone be sold that instead of a business class seat.

For example, B4 JL went bankrupt, they gave me a Y+ upgrade, but they still fed me green raviolis. Now why would I want premium economy after that one. Never sat in a Y+ seat ever again.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:23 pm

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/about-us/press-room/press-release/2017/Cathay_Pacific_Reorganises_Head_Office_as_First_St ep_in_Transformation_Plan_1.html

Laid off detail has been published.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.